cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

8R19.5 Double Coin tires ( just purchased )

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
I did a search on the net for Double Coin tires and found a few truckers that liked them, not much else. I though a post here might help someone else down the road.

I bought 6 of the Double Coin RT600's all position tires from the Tire Factory for $1130 installed. This included balancing beads. I bought new valve stems myself else where and had them installed during the tire installs. The 35 mile drive home, they seem to be balanced good. Drove another 70 miles rt, still seem ok. I know that isn't much for a tire report, but I'll post back here next summer and give a better report.

Forgot to mention, I ended up with tires already 1 year old, dang it. My fault for not telling them to make sure I got fresh manufactured tires.

The spec's on them ( for the 8R19.5 ) are 12ply, F rated. Load caps are 3525lb single and 3305lb dual.
Warranty as follows:
WHAT IS COVERED UNDER THIS WARRANTY
AND FOR HOW LONG
50percent FREE REPLACEMENT WARRANTY
If any Double Coin TBR tire covered by this
warranty becomes unserviceable due to a defect in
workmanship or material during the first 50percent of the
original tread life (calculated by subtracting one-half
the difference between the original new tire
tread depth and 2/32" from the original new tire tread
depth), then Double Coin will reimburse the cost of
a replacement Double Coin TBR tire to you, plus the
cost of mounting and balancing as follows:
a.
The defective Double Coin tire must be replaced
with a comparable new Double Coin tire by an
authorized Double Coin TBR tire dealer.
b.
Costs of mounting and balancing will be refunded
up to a maximum of $16.00 per tire.
c.
Applicable taxes and fees will be the responsibility
of the owner of the vehicle.
d.
50percent free replacement applies to first quality tires
only. Blemished, Non-Adjustable (stamped on tire), retreads or road hazard tires are specifically excluded.
PRORATED TIRE REPLACEMENT
Double Coin TBR tires covered by this warranty
that become unserviceable due to a defect in
workmanship or material during the life of the
original usable tread (down to 2/32" remaining
usable tread), will be reimbursed to the owner on
a prorated basis. You pay only for the mounting,
balancing, taxes and fees.

Tires with weather cracking which were
manufactured five (5) or more years prior to
presentation (7 years on OptiGreen SmartWay
Verified products) are not covered.
( these tires are built with EPA SmartWay verified technology )
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.
12 REPLIES 12

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
usersmanual wrote:
Double Coin Heavy-Duty Radial Truck Tyre Co. founded in 1992, Double Coin (Rugao) Tyre Co. Ltd founded in 2004 and the newly invested and built Double Coin (Chongqing) Tyre Co. Ltd in 2007 with a total production capacity of 6.80 million tyres.

Their parent company was established in the '30s, and they made tires during WWII for the war effort. After the war they were important players in the rebuilding of Europe and they sold their tires there. That's what my research of the company showed in 2004. Now, all that history seems to be missing from the internet.

Which story is the true history, and which is the made up stuff is unimportant to me after having used them. They made a reasonably good tire in China that worked for me back in '04. Probably even better now.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
I paid almost that much for 2 fronts, Michelin 22.5 size. That sounds cheap, I need to check them out for the back.

usersmanual
Explorer
Explorer
Double Coin Heavy-Duty Radial Truck Tyre Co. founded in 1992, Double Coin (Rugao) Tyre Co. Ltd founded in 2004 and the newly invested and built Double Coin (Chongqing) Tyre Co. Ltd in 2007 with a total production capacity of 6.80 million tyres.

Jim
Explorer
Explorer
I had to buy Double Coin 8R19.5 RT600's once on the road when I didn't want to wait for the dealer to ship something else in. Put them only on the fronts due to the old tires having sidewall blowouts but the rears were fine.

Later, spent quite a while researching DC the company. Turns out they've been around since the '30s and have a good reputation in Europe for quality. Mostly they make large truck tires.

I kind of expected the tires to only last 20,000 miles based on the low cost but I was surprised when I took them off because I had 36,000 on them. So they turned out to be a ~40K mile tire. As steer tires. Probably would have gotten more if they'd been on the rears.

As far as ride goes, yeah they aren't as soft as a traditional 'RV' tire, but I wouldn't be able to tell the difference in ride anyway because my RV has airbags.

Yeah, I'd buy them again.
Jim@HiTek
Have shop, will travel!
Visit my travel & RV repair blog site. Subscribe for emailed updates.
Winnebago Journey, '02
Cat 330HP Diesel, 36.5', two slides.

stvdman
Explorer
Explorer
Its hard to rationalize paying more for a "better" tire (Michelin) with the limited amount of miles we usually put on RV's. Tires "time out" before "wear out".

If I were to do 10k+ miles per year, yeah, maybe ~$450+ per tire would be ok, but most sets see WAY less than that. would definitely consider double coins...I was told I was cheaping out with BFG's!

garry1p
Explorer
Explorer
Mine are 6 years old nitrogen filled by dealer no extra charge.

Around 10K miles no problems, no cracks in sidewalls, added a little air once.

I was warned by many on this forum about putting my family at risk with Chinese tires but with the limited miles I drive I saved a ton of money and very satisfied with Double Coin tires.
Garry1p

1990 Holiday Rambler Aluma Lite XL
454 on P-30 Chassis
1999 Jeep Cherokee sport

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, there a good hard rubber tire. I'm a retired OTR Trucker and when I was working we used Double Coins on some of are trailers. I never had any trouble with those tires while I was working. What's really important is getting good service from the Tire Factory if you have any problems later on down the road.

ets1996
Explorer
Explorer
I put the Double Coins on all around 4 years ago and have about 8,000 miles on them, Happy with them no problems and the price was right

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Jim, I do have the RT600s. I have not driven them on snow or mud. I don't think that my HR would have very good traction no matter what tires were on it. I always carry chains in case snow catches me by surprise.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
I have been running Double Coins on the rear for several sets. I now how them on the front.
I have driven on most weather conditions with good results. We don't travel very far in snowy conditions.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

JimInMich
Explorer
Explorer
Son of Norway wrote:
I also bought Double Coins after getting a glowing recommendation from the owner of a string of tire stores in New England. (Pete's Tire Barn) I have had mine for about three years and I am very satisfied.

Do you have the RT600's? If so, how has traction been on mud or snow? I'm used to tires with more aggressive tread and these are just a 5 rib. Just a bit worried on how they will act on either type of road surface.
Current: 1987 Georgie Boy Encounter 34',John Deere chassis,460c.i./C6.
SOLD-2012 Cougar XLite 27RLS
SOLD-2008 Aerolite 24FB
SOLD-2004 Shadow Cruiser Fun Finder 189FBR
Just the Wife and I.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
I also bought Double Coins after getting a glowing recommendation from the owner of a string of tire stores in New England. (Pete's Tire Barn) I have had mine for about three years and I am very satisfied.
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO