Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A vs. C

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
We currently own a 2009 Kingsport 295 QB and are thinking of selling the TT and buying a motorhome.
We just don't know if we want to get a class A or C.
I've read a lot about both and they have their own ups and downs.
Looking for some help from those that have/had owned these. Is there any one that has owned both and prefer one over the other?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
34 REPLIES 34

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Heisenberg wrote:

I thought GM got out of the light medium duty and now maxes out at 12,000 GVWR?
Coachmen has a Chevrolet Class C.

Yep looks like GM got back into the light medium duty maxing out at 14,200# GVWR.
FMCA member

Heisenberg
Explorer
Explorer

Coachmen has a Chevrolet Class C.
2013 Winnebago Sightseer
2017 Colorado

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
We are working on getting a new 2014 Fleetwood Storm 32H. Still up in the air. They are crunching numbers. It will come down to what they will give me for my truck and trailer on trade. Yes, I know I could get more selling these on my own but hate dealing with all the tire kickers.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
broncobill1964 wrote:
Thanks again for the replies.
No matter what MH, we want it to have bunks.
Granted, there are only three of us, but my daughter almost always brings a friend or two, and my sister-in-law comes with us quite often.
The TT we have now can sleep 10. There are quad bunks in the back, and a queen bed in front. It is nice having the sleeping capacity without dropping the dinette or folding a couch. The drop down bunk over the driving area in the Storm is very nice just like the bunk in a C.
I thought I read some where that a class A gets better mpg than a C. Is this true? I thought it would be the other way around.
I've looked at used DP but have not seen a bunk model.

We had the same experience. Used Bunk model DPs in good shape are rare and are snapped up fast. Most other layouts are exchangible however if you need bunks you won't buy anything else. Funny thing is bunk models are common in the standard Class C space.
FMCA member

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
TippleUnduly wrote:
Just some reacttions to earlier comments. The knock on C's for having a hot cab is likely because it was a Ford chassis. The Chevy we drive is SO cool and comfortable by comparison. Also applies to the gas mileage which is a mile or two better. Cab space is better, too. Check it out.

FMCA member

TippleUnduly
Explorer
Explorer
Just some reacttions to earlier comments. The knock on C's for having a hot cab is likely because it was a Ford chassis. The Chevy we drive is SO cool and comfortable by comparison. Also applies to the gas mileage which is a mile or two better. Cab space is better, too. Check it out.
Bill K

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
Ivylog wrote:
hanko wrote:
I always thought a class C looked like a travel trailer humping a van.

Thanks for the good laugh but a Class C will sleep more people than most A's of the same size.
I have read too many posts on adding track bars and steering stabilizers to class A's but not on Class C's to improve the handling.
OP, for your amount and type of use... buy a C. You do not need the bigger tanks and larger storage bays of a A plus it's hard to beat the bed up front for kids.

Had a Class C, been there done that. Needed a large rear swaybar, front steering stabilizer, larger front swaybar, helper springs, and potentially airbags. I thought the front cab bed would be good and to a point it was however we needed up leaving it completely set up because setup and take down was a nuisance. All it did is make access to the cab part easier.
FMCA member

kzoocamper
Explorer
Explorer
broncobill1964 wrote:
Granted, there are only three of us, but my daughter almost always brings a friend or two, and my sister-in-law comes with us quite often.
The TT we have now can sleep 10. There are quad bunks in the back, and a queen bed in front. It is nice having the sleeping capacity without dropping the dinette or folding a couch. The drop down bunk over the driving area in the Storm is very nice just like the bunk in a C.
I thought I read some where that a class A gets better mpg than a C. Is this true? I thought it would be the other way around.

Bronco we spent a short amount of time looking at c's during our on going search for our next unit as my wife thought they seemed to be less intimidating to her should she need or want to drive during our travels. It only took showing her how restricted a view we would have of mountain vistas ect. with the large overhang on a C along with her experiencing how much more side to side rocking there appears to be in a C vs an A for her to question her attraction to the C. Along with some of the other restrictions particular to our needs we have eliminated class C's from our search. We are still deciding between a 5th wheel and a class A and will more than likely pass you by at the show this weekend.

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
broncobill1964 wrote:

It depends on the specific models a lot. A diesel class A would probably get slightly better mileage than a gas class C of roughly similar size, mostly because diesel fuel has more energy per gallon than gasoline. A small class C will get better mileage than most any class A by virtue of it being smaller.

On the whole, though, there's not a vast difference in mileage, certainly not enough to make it a deciding factor for which one to get. Both are more or less terrible, as you're driving something with the weight and aerodynamics of a barn at highway speeds.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
hanko wrote:

Thanks for the good laugh but a Class C will sleep more people than most A's of the same size.
I have read too many posts on adding track bars and steering stabilizers to class A's but not on Class C's to improve the handling.
OP, for your amount and type of use... buy a C. You do not need the bigger tanks and larger storage bays of a A plus it's hard to beat the bed up front for kids.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

hanko
Explorer
Explorer
2014 Tiffin Open Road 36LA,Banks Power pack,sumo springs, 5 star tune, magnum invertor

2013 Ford Focus Toad

Haigh Superstar

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer

holstein13
Explorer
Explorer
broncobill1964 wrote:
Wow, that was some quick answers. thank you very much.
We plan on using the MH for camping, trips to Disney, Cedar point etc, as well as using it for all the tournaments my daughter plays in. She plays travel softball.
Every one made some very good points. A lot of them I was thinking too. Like leveling jacks, storage, water capacities, and sitting up higher when driving.
There is an rv show this week end that we are going to.
I am leaning towards an entry level A.
The one in particular that we like is the Fleetwood Storm.
By the way, my daughter plays for Lakeshore Storm.
Thanks again.
I owned a Fleetwood Storm 32 BH for 3 years and put 28,000 miles on it before upgrading to a diesel pusher. I really loved my old coach. It was very affordable and the sleeping arrangements were very flexible allowing 10 people to sleep in it. If your kids are anything like mine, you'll often find a few friends coming along with you on your camping trips. The girls loved the front drop down bed. I really loved the rear dinette that I could use as a man cave whenever we didn't need the rear bunks. The only design problem in the 2011 was a vapor lock problem with the generator. Hopefully, they've fixed that by now.

Good luck on your purchase.
2015 Newmar King Aire 4599
2012 Ford F150 Supercrew Cab
-------------------------------------------------------------
`

Vacay_Wheels
Explorer
Explorer
the bear II wrote:
I haven't owned either but have used both types numerous times.

My preference is for a Class A for the following reasons:
> More useable living space (driving area A vs C)
> Drivetrain Components are based upon medium duty to heavy duty truck parts this equates to longevity and reliability
> Ride comfort The Class A's I've used have felt more stable than the Class C's
> Storage space The Class As had nearly twice the amount of storage area/compartments the Class C's had.

Just my opinion....

Not the longest response on the thread, but this is the one I'll echo. After renting a C for a while, we started our shopping there. Then started test driving A's, and came to the same conclusion as this.

So now I think we'll end up in an A, unless the magic price fairy sprinkles some serious discount dust on a Super C.
2015 Newmar Bay Star 3215 (on order) 😄
www.vacaywheels.com
_