Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

A vs. C

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
Hello All,
We currently own a 2009 Kingsport 295 QB and are thinking of selling the TT and buying a motorhome.
We just don't know if we want to get a class A or C.
I've read a lot about both and they have their own ups and downs.
Looking for some help from those that have/had owned these. Is there any one that has owned both and prefer one over the other?
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks in advance.
34 REPLIES 34

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
IMHO you need to look at both the Class A and Class C RV's and see what floor plan and overall costs fits your budget, and needs! I've owned both in my lifetime and enjoyed RVing with both. I currently own a Class A but for me to tell you to go with a Class A is a disservice! What works for me might not work for you. Good Luck and enjoy looking at RV's!

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
352 wrote:
Why don't you try to go mid way between an A and a C and try a B

I don't know if you were joking or not... But a Class B is much smaller than a Class C. Super B motorhomes are similar to Class C motorhomes but without the front bunk. Standard Class B motorhomes are usually on a standard van chassis such as a E-350 or Chevrolet 3500. There are also the Dodge ProMaster (really Fiat) and Freightliner Sprinter based B and B Super B motorhomes and I think there is one coming out on the Ford Transit as well. All of these units max out at about 11K GVWR and have little if any tow rating. You would be lucky to have a 5K tow rating. Class B units are generally designed for two people and are complex to setup and use. This is because you need to put away the bed to convert it into a sleeping area. Fresh water, black water and generator options are extremely limited if at all some even require you to run the engine for AC power. Shower, toilet, kitchen and storage is very limited and cramped. Due to their small size and requirement to reuse spaces the cost of a Class B can be well over $100,000. Some of the Super B units on the E-450 or E-350 cutaway chassis can be less expensive. They can be a good choice for people with very limited parking and or an HOA that prohibits parking an RV at home. A standard Class B can be easily disguised as a van and could pass muster with an HOA. Parking a Class B is generally easier as you can usually park it anywhere you can park a large passenger van with the caveat that you will be taller than a van i.e. usually 9' with the AC unit if it has one. Automatic leveling jacks are generally unheard of in a Class B however some Super B units have them. There are some really nice Class B units. For certain people they are a good fit. All this said they most certainly are not "in between a class C and a Class A.
FMCA member

Explorer
Explorer
Why don't you try to go mid way between an A and a C and try a B
The manatees of Halls river Homosassa Springs Fl

1985 Chevy Silverado c10. 454 stroker / 495 CI = 675 HP. 650lb of torque. Turb0 400 tranny. 3000 stall converter. Aluminum heads. 3 inch exhaust flowmasters. 2 inch headers. Heat and air. Tubed.

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
broncobill1964 wrote:
Wow, that was some quick answers. thank you very much.
We plan on using the MH for camping, trips to Disney, Cedar point etc, as well as using it for all the tournaments my daughter plays in. She plays travel softball.
Every one made some very good points. A lot of them I was thinking too. Like leveling jacks, storage, water capacities, and sitting up higher when driving.
There is an rv show this week end that we are going to.
I am leaning towards an entry level A.
The one in particular that we like is the Fleetwood Storm.
By the way, my daughter plays for Lakeshore Storm.
Thanks again.

If you have 3 people to sleep and are willing to look at used you can get a well cared for Diesel Pusher for a song. I had a friend get a lightly used 45' Diesel Pusher with a tag axle for about $50K. Just be sure to do a careful inspection first. If you don't know how to do it yourself hire a RV inspector or certified RV mechanic to do it for you. You will save yourself a lot of grief. As for us my wife refused to get a used one. I would have preferred to not pay the depreciation. Happy wife, happy life!
FMCA member

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
The single best resource I have found for shopping is PPL's website. Big inventory, accurate descriptions, floor plans, historical pricing, etc.

http://www.pplmotorhomes.com/

I have no business connection to them. I have sold two RVs through them, have been to their lot maybe a dozen times for shopping, and have been to their website hundreds of times.

We went to some shows, and learned a lot. A $250K motorhome may not have enough headroom for a 6-foot person to stand upright in the shower. A $150K motorhome may have little piles of sawdust under the cabinets just from the drive to the show. A $150K Class B may be real easy to fall out of. Some of the expensive ones are too elegant - I don't want white carpet, leather furniture, quad slides, etc. I have no need for a faux fireplace.

The single biggest influence on what I now look for in an RV was a used, private party for-sale we saw in the parking lot of a show. It was an older Beaver DP, and it was %$#@ beautiful! It looked like it was made to last forever. Over a decade later, and I STILL want that built-in blender!

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

broncobill1964
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, that was some quick answers. thank you very much.
We plan on using the MH for camping, trips to Disney, Cedar point etc, as well as using it for all the tournaments my daughter plays in. She plays travel softball.
Every one made some very good points. A lot of them I was thinking too. Like leveling jacks, storage, water capacities, and sitting up higher when driving.
There is an rv show this week end that we are going to.
I am leaning towards an entry level A.
The one in particular that we like is the Fleetwood Storm.
By the way, my daughter plays for Lakeshore Storm.
Thanks again.

oldmattb
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz, that was excellent!

We have not owned a C, but considered one for all three of our RV purchases.

Last time out, we planned to buy a C for two reasons. First, wife would be more confident driving it, with the van-style cockpit. Second, the cabover would give us a good second sleeping space.

We found that the Cs in our priced range, $20K, were either very tired-looking and/or had a cheap feel to the interior with waferboard cabinets, cheap carpet, and some really "grandma's living room" fabrics. Many had entertainment systems in the cabover.

We just don't watch TV when we travel, so the entertainment system was a waste of space.

We chose an older class A, a 1998 diesel pusher. It was well-maintained and the story checked-out, so-to-speak. It has air suspension, ceramic tile, decent upholstery, ducted ACs, dual-pane windows, real wood cabinetry, diesel generator, body paint, and a host of other features that make it very comfortable. I really looks nice, inside and out. Friends guessed it to be 3-4 years old, not fifteen. A lot of that has to do with the quality of a nice DP.

Yeah, I do all the driving, but I am OK with that. I really love our RV, and have no plans to sell or trade.

Matt B
oldMattB
1998 Monaco Windsor

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
msturtz---- good comparison post!

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
Too many Class C do not have leveling jacks. If you want Class C, make sure it has leveling jacks. Most Class A have leveling jacks. Something to keep in mind. My 2 cents
---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

msturtz
Explorer
Explorer
We have owned two TTs (1969 Terry & 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29BHS), two TVs (1999 Dodge Ram 1500 & 2004 Chevrolet Silverado 3500 SRW) and a Class C and Class A MH (2014 Jayco Greyhawk 31FS & 2014 Thor Palazzo 33.3). We spent about 2 - 3 years thinking of what MH to purchase. Unfortunately we purchased wrong. The wrong manufacturer that is. We were very happy with the 2004 Jayco JayFlight 29 BHS so we assumed that their motorized line would be the same build quality. We were incorrect. Anyway back on topic. There are two broad categories of Class C standard Class C motorhomes on the Ford E-450 chassis there are and some oddball entries from Mercedes and Ram ProMaster, and Super C motorhomes on several different chassis such as Freightliner M2 106 or the Ford F-550. The Class A universe is divided into Gas (Typically Ford F53) and Diesel Pushers (E.g. Freightliner Custom Chassis XCS, XCR etc.). The broad brush transaction cost ranges for new units are as follows:
Standard Class C
$50,000 Base model no frills leftover, no leveling jacks etc to $130,000 fully decked out with all options
Super C
$115,000 reasonably equipped with automatic leveling jacks to $500,000 (or more) fully decked out with a 50,000# tow rating
Class A gas
$80,000 base model leftover with few options to $200,000 high end with all major options and maximum payload
Class A Diesel
$139,000 Base model leftover fewer options (usually has automatic leveling jacks etc.) vinyl flooring etc. to $2,500,000 for a Prevost or similar that is maxed out

Standard Class C benefits:
Lower initial cost
Standard Gasoline fuel
Light weight (GVWR max of 14,500# with a GCWR max of 22,000)
Available from a wide variety of manufacturers
Generally lots of inventory
More shops will work on them than the Class A motorhomes (Note: most Ford dealers will not work on ANY motorhomes class C or otherwise, you must take it to a Ford Truck center)
Generally more sleeping areas available
Less expensive tires

Standard Class C cons
Very limited length
Limited tow rating (5,000# or 7,500# depending on coach manufacturer)
Limited range 400 โ€“ 500 miles on flat ground
Lower fuel economy
Very noisy in front especially on hills. The E-450 we had was so loud my DW and I could barely carry on a conversation without shouting.
Very limited payload in the longer coaches (31โ€™ or more) Expect to see 1,000# to a max of 2,000# excluding water (fresh, black & grey) usually you will get a usable payload of about 1,000 before adding people or belongings
Limited storage capacity
Automatic leveling jacks are usually a $3,000 - $5,000 option that reduces payload (believe me this option is critical in a motorhome because you donโ€™t want to be driving onto blocks in the middle of the night in the rain)
Coach systems are not as well integrated as in a Class A i.e. discreet low power inverter powering a single outlet, no inside propane gauge
Less expensive exterior wall construction
Much noisier generator gasoline generator
Usually does not come with an Automatic Generator start system
Harsh ride
Very long rear overhang causing difficulty entering and exiting driveways as well as damage to the driverโ€™s side rear panel due to turning right too soon exiting fueling stations
Very limited water carrying capacity (ours was only 32 gallons nominal much less in practice)
Usually have only a single small Group 27 battery which only lasts a very short time and you must start the generator
You lose the cab area for usable space
Poor turning radius
Exposed plumbing and under side wiring
Very hot in the cab area

Super C pros
Good fuel economy (due to diesel engine)
Heavier weight (F-550 GVWR 19,500, GCWR 35,000 & Freightliner M2 106 GVWR 28,000, GCWR 33,000)
More power usually at least 2 Group 27 or 4 Group 27s or 4 GC2 batteries
Better integrated coach system i.e. many have automatic generator start systems
Excellent tow ratings โ€“ typically in the 10,000# range but can be up to 50,000# depending on the coach and drivetrain
Quiet diesel generator
Great inside and outside storage capacity
Large tanks typically 50 โ€“ 100 gallons fresh water
More fuel capacity and range typically 60 โ€“ 100 gallons of diesel translating into a fuel range of up to 1,000 miles on flat terrain
Better construction than the standard Class C units
Usually have heated wet bay (not all the F-550 units do not)
Full engine brake (compression, turbo or other effective braking system)

Super C cons
Noisy ride (you here the engine running as well as the transmission)
Very expensive compared to standard Class C units โ€“ some M2 106 units are as expensive or more expensive than Class A Diesel pusher motorhomes
Long rear overhang
Harsh truck based ride (some have air rear suspension but most have spring suspension)
Poor turning radius

Class A gas pros
Full use of the floorplan
More storage inside and out
More options for layouts
More fuel capacity (a common capacity is 80 Gallons which is about 500 to 600 miles on flat ground)
May have heated bays
Reasonable turning radius
Moderate sized tanks
Lots of floorplans available
Lots of inventory
Better visibility most have at least a rearview camera system
Some cost about the same as a well-equipped Class C
Typically have automatic leveling jacks installed at the factory

Class A gas cons
Poor towing capacity typically no more than 5,000#
Very loud inside depending on floor and doghouse insulation
Longer rear overhang (be careful getting fuel like in the gas class C units)
Higher cost service โ€“ typically only at Ford Truck and motorhome shops that have limited hours of operation
Harsher ride with spring suspension
Coach systems are not as integrated

Class A diesel pusher benefits
Quiet ride no engine noise
Soft stable ride due to full air suspension
Typically have well integrated coach systems
Automatic Generator start
Panoramic front view
Very quiet diesel generator
Excellent turning radius for the size of the coach (a 33โ€™ DP will have a 208โ€ wheelbase and a 55 degree wheel cut and can turn around in a standard street)
Fantastic, fuel capacity (Typically starts at 90 Gallons and goes up to 200 gallons of diesel depending on chassis) gives a realistic range of 1,000 miles on flat ground.
Excellent water tank capacity โ€“ typically starting at 90 gallons and ending up at about 150 gallons
Well integrated coach systems
More living space for a given coach size
Engine exhaust braking system (Pac Brake, variable vane turbo or other great system)
Usually any truck diesel shop can work on them and many are open 24x7
Last a very long time
Long service intervals
Better manufacturer support
Have tow ratings starting at 5,000# to 50,000#, depending on coach some very inexpensive units have tow ratings of 10,000#
Large battery banks
Large residential refrigerator
Heated wet bay
Neatly run wiring
Weight ratings starting at about 26,000 GVWR up to 55,000# GVWR with a tag axle with GCWR ratings of 30,000 up to 80,000.

Class A diesel pusher cons
Limited inventory
Higher initial cost
Higher cost per hour for service
Typically more complex due to better integrated systems
Limited floorplans (I only found a few floorplans that had bunk beds and a 10,000# tow rating)

Having owned both I would not go back to a Class C simply due to the lack of payload and towing in the size of unit we needed that also had automatic leveling jacks. If you get a short Class C such as a 24โ€™ that has no slides however is still on the E-450 chassis you can get good payload left after you load water, people, fuel, propane before you load your gear. You will still need to either put up with the heat and noise from the engine or spend a few thousand dollars paying a sound shop to install Hushmat or Dynamat. The super C units get rid of the payload problems for the most part (not all of them though) and have great tow ratings. However you still need to deal with the heat and noise from the engine. As well as the harsh ride typical of a truck. We did get the automatic leveling jack option which reduced our payload by about 500#. I would never get a MH without leveling jacks. It is just too dangerous to drive onto blocks. They are not like TTS or 5th wheels that you can just level side to side with blocks and use the front jacks to level front to rear. We are happy we went to a Class A diesel pusher. Should have done it in the first place.
FMCA member

phillyg
Explorer II
Explorer II
We've owned both and in our case we "progressed from a C to an A." My suggestion is to go to big RV shows and thoroughly investigate each and find what floor plan fits your requirements. You could also rent a Class C for a few days just to feel one out. I don't know if you can do that with Class As, but perhaps.
--2005 Ford F350 Lariat Crewcab 6.0, 4x4, 3.73 rear
--2016 Montana 3711FL, 40'
--2014 Wildcat 327CK, 38' SOLD

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
wolfe10 wrote:
Two points:

The more you tell us about how you plan to use it, the better the advice.

BUT, be aware that most will reinforce why THEY bought what they bought. This may or may not mean it will fit your needs.

Welcome to the forums William. I'll wait until you give us some more info on use and budget. Hopefully you are not one of those who post one time and then are never to be heard from again. Yes, I've owned both plus about every other type of RV made except a TH... Toy Hauler.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45โ€™...

TippleUnduly
Explorer
Explorer
Having owned 4 A's, I didn't think I'd ever say it, but I prefer our B+. The A's always seemed to have something to worry about. They were a conglomoration of miscellaneous parts that never seemed to hold together as expected. Too much "after market" stuff in the cab area. Reliability was never the long suite. And when there was a problem, you were lucky to find readily available mechanical help.

Now I drive a Chevy-based B+ and take much pleasure in its total reliability and solidity. Almost any Chevy dealer welcomes us as clients. The A/C is Chevy, as is the whole front end, windshield, windows, lights, electrical system, mirrors ... and there's much more ease of driving, improved economy, all with more than enough space and comfort. Wish we'd gone with a B+ years ago! ...and now my wife shares in the driving.
Bill K

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't owned either but have used both types numerous times.

My preference is for a Class A for the following reasons:
> More useable living space (driving area A vs C)
> Drivetrain Components are based upon medium duty to heavy duty truck parts this equates to longevity and reliability
> Ride comfort The Class A's I've used have felt more stable than the Class C's
> Storage space The Class As had nearly twice the amount of storage area/compartments the Class C's had.

Just my opinion....

dezolen
Explorer
Explorer
A all the way.