cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accident on I-24, 15 miles from Chattanooga

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
I hope they are ok. Looks like a new Allegro Bus.

It had been raining off and on all morning.

Please be careful out there.

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~
20 REPLIES 20

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
There are a lot of wrecks on that stretch for some reason. I drove big trucks through there for years but was from out west where hills are miles long and 9% grades. The talking heads are notoriously wrong. Prayers to all families involved. People these days will not get in the other lane either. We had a blowout on the PA Turnpike and I'll bet 2000 vehicles went past right on the yellow line. I am constantly screaming at my wife to move over because people will step out in front of you.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
luvlabs wrote:
jerem0621 wrote:

The roof looks just like my Allegro Open Road 32CA. It's not an Allegro Bus. I hope the driver is recovering OK.

sorry guys, bus rolls so easy off the tongue. In my Class A research I am finding that all things are not equal. An 'A' is not an 'A' if ya get what I mean.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Mr.Mark wrote:
Can you even push open the exit door when the coach is on it's side?
You pop out the front window with you foot.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
The unit doesn't look like an Allegro Bus as it only has single tail lights where a Bus would have double. No matter though, it must have been a horrific experience. Can you imagine being in your seatbelt and the coach laying on it's side? All the stuff that must have come out of the cabinets possibly even hitting the occupants. How would they get out? Can you even push open the exit door when the coach is on it's side?

I sure hope no one was seriously injured. Looks like the tow vehicle stayed attached after the whole ordeal.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

luvlabs
Explorer
Explorer
jerem0621 wrote:

The roof looks just like my Allegro Open Road 32CA. It's not an Allegro Bus. I hope the driver is recovering OK.
2017 Winnebago Navion 24V
2014 Tiffin Phaeton 36GH (sold)
2012 Tiffin Allegro 32CA (traded)
2012 Honda Fit

Daveinet
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
prayers sent

lesson I take away: never stay in RV if parked on side of interstate
According to the report, the person in the RV was OK. The person working under it, was killed.

I've been on the side of the road a few times times, working on the coach. There is nothing more scary.

No doubt the first vehicle on the side of the road caused a distraction so the second vehicle was probably not seen.
IRV2

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
prayers sent

The guy who was killed was outside of his motorhome working on it. Would have been far better off staying inside of it, looking at the picture of the old motorhome.. This was a different accident than the one the op reported. Both incidents very sad. This is why so many states are writing slow down/move over laws! Way to many patrolmen and highway workers, in addition to general public motorists are getting killed because people don't slow down and move over.

Was once broke down on one of the exit ramps between one interstate and another interstate down in Tennesses. The tow truck operator told me that he had been hit 3 different times on that particular exit ram when hooking up to broken down vehicles.
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Especially since the article in that link is dated May 17, 2013.

I changed a TT tire on a shoulder last year, fortunately it was the curb side. Every semi that whizzed by rocked the TT on the jack like it was gonna tip over, and that was with most semis moving over 1/2 lane. I had the 4-ways on and my BIL at the back of the TT waving traffic over. If I never have to do that again it will be too soon.....

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Especially since the article in that link is dated May 17, 2013.

I changed a TT tire on a shoulder last year, fortunately it was the curb side. Every semi that whizzed by rocked the TT on the jack like it was gonna tip over, and that was with most semis moving over 1/2 lane. I had the 4-ways on and my BIL at the back of the TT waving traffic over. If I never have to do that again it will be too soon.....

paulsang
Explorer
Explorer
roam1 wrote:
prayers sent

Such tragic news. The man under the RV probably didn't know what hit him. The man in the RV was extrememly lucky.

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
It was this morning. The tag is from Florida, not sure about the county though. Here is a local news report that confirmed it was a female driver and she had minor injuries and was taken to the hospital.

News Channel 9

Thankfully, nobody was seriously hurt. I must admit, the coach held up much better than I expected. If this were a sticks and staples construction, like my TT, I can only imagine the mess.

In addition to this, this section of interstate, from Chattanooga to to the west side of Monteagle can be very trecherous. The weather can play havoc with traffic, many fast sweeping curves... its flat dangerous.

Be careful out there, no matter what you are driving!

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH

~Walt Disney~

grldst
Explorer
Explorer
Returning home from a trip one time during a rain storm, I encountered six different accident sites between Mounteagle, TN and my exit here at Red top Mt GA. Two envolved semis, no RV's .

It is a very busy section of road, and when it rains the traffic causes a mist/fog situation, making visibility extremely limited at times.

Markiemark32
Explorer
Explorer
NORM WADDELL wrote:
Written by
Robert Smith
Leaf-Chronicle

Filed Under

News
Local News
Trenton Road
More

CLARKSVILLE, TENN. — A Florida man was killed Thursday afternoon when a tractor trailer smashed into the motor home he was repairing on the side of Interstate 24.

At about 3 p.m., Tennessee Highway Patrol Trooper Vincent Meaker was inspecting a tractor trailer that was on the side of the interstate when he noticed a stalled RV blocking the right westbound lane about 200 yards away.

Meaker went to the vehicle, which had Illinois plates, and helped push it to the shoulder of the road near the Trenton Road overpass, then returned to the inspection. The RV’s driver then got under the vehicle to repair it.

Shortly after, at about 3:10 p.m., Meaker heard squealing and saw another tractor trailer skidding sideways down the interstate. It struck the RV, instantly killing the driver, Roger Dale LaGrone, 65, of Temple Terrace, Fla.

A passenger in the RV, Kenneth R. Nichols, 67, of Ridgefarm, Ill, was taken to a hospital, mainly as a precaution.

The driver of the tractor-trailer, Carl J. Anderson, 26, of North Baltimore, Ohio, was not hurt.

Tennessee Highway Patrol issued citations, but criminal charges will not be filed, according to a THP report.

Not sure if above description matches pics posted:

Meaker went to the vehicle, which had Illinois plates, and helped push it to the shoulder of the road near the Trenton Road overpass, then returned to the inspection

Pic -clearly shows a Florida tag (although man killed was Florida)

Police help push it to shoulder (a Class A with Jeep Toad)?

Also, if RV was on Shoulder near overpass and then hit by a tractor trailer, not sure how it would of gotten into middle median and rolled.....(Pics).

OP, posted it stating rainey conditions all morning, news states a 3 pm accident.

Be careful out there, hope all are Okay.

Markiemark
Banned member for posting Customer satisfaction maybe catching up : http://rvmiles.com/camping-world-investors-file-class-action-after-stocks-fall-60/
OK to ban per Mark F.