cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Advice on theft and real world realities

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
First time buyer. First time to Everything. MOTORHOME. FULL TIMER. I am the quintessential NEWBIE. Hope it works out as we envision... Been reading on break ins and motorhome theft.

Now there is reading and there is real world. So first, how often is a 40 foot motorhome really stolen? My mind says rarely and you'd have to be a moron to steal something so dang big. Is that naive, newbie thinking?

I'm a gun fanatic. So yes, bringing guns and ammo and such. Already know I have to find a secret hiding place, even making one behind a wall or something. But again, are these things really broken into?

Thanks ahead of time 🙂 Any advice on carrying guns helpful too, like is an rv considered your home or a vehicle when it come to guns?
36 REPLIES 36

senior-cit
Explorer
Explorer
We stopped at a Cracker Barrel in Bradenton, Florida for breakfast and as always lock both deadbolt, and door locks. After eating, returned to find the bedroom slide was out. Deadbolt was no locked but door lock was. When we went in, it was obvious, we were burglarized. Money, jewelry, and computer were taken. Police arrived and informed us that this has occurred before there. Bottom line here is that it can and does happen. It happened to us, and we had to have the deadbolt replaced. It was damaged.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
See? ALWAYS somebody else.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Well, yesterday I just learned that my oncle got his Motorhome stolen, near Tampa Florida! The police found it today. He had left the key in the ignition, the MH was parked in his son driveway. They stoll 500 dollars but not the credit cards.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

hershey
Explorer
Explorer
Been fulltiming for over 10 years and have never been broken into. My theory? Judge your surroundings. When I stay in a Thousand Trails membership park I don't even lock the door or bays. I leave everything for the outside out in the open and unchained or unlocked. When I have to stay in a park that has a bunch of seedy looking characters and vehicles in it, blue tarps in abundance, I lock everything and try not to be away from the vehicle at all. Hopefully its just overnight. Parking lots, Walmarts etc. I lock my bays and door while shopping and my stay in a store is a lot less than my wives so I return to the RV quickly.
hershey - albuquerque, nm
Someday Finally Got Here
My wife does all the driving - I just get to hold the steering wheel.
Face Book Group: All About RVing and We Fly RC's
Expedition - Chevy Equinox

TexasShadow
Explorer
Explorer
I think break-ins are rare in campgrounds, especially west of the Mississippi.
Stuff left outside is more often taken if it is handy to grab.
Don't leave your rig in an area than looks or feels dangerous. Don't camp there at all if you can avoid it.
If you have anything that would break your heart to lose, don't take it with you camping or else carry it with you wherever you go.
TexasShadow
Holiday Rambler Endeavor LE/ 3126B Cat
Sometimes BMW K75 on Rear Carrier
Jeep Grand Cherokee or 2016 Ford XLT 4x4 super cab with 8 ft bed
M&G aux brake system
854 Watts of Solar Power

Always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.

Kidoo
Explorer
Explorer
Never happened to me in the last 50 years of camping from under the star without a tent to the motorhome today. Normally, people just leave everything outside the RV, especially in a campground and we never saw someone stolen something.

I Boondock all over America, sleep at Walmart and truck stop, mostly never felt at risk. I should say that once at the Lombardy truck stop near New York, It was OK, I felt a little unsecure but never had a problem. Another time at a remote Walmart parked in the back of the store, there was 3 guys sitting on the ground around their car and looked kind of on drugs, so I just moved to another spot in the light.

Once, I saw a tent ripped by a knife and things stollen in a cammping near Rome Italy in the 1980's.

Guns: Do not take these to Canada, big problems at the border. Nobody carry guns in Canada, except the drug dealers, we fight with stick and we through rocks :W,, so just bring a shield.

I carry "bear spray", the big can, it is legal if it has the picture of a bear on the can, no kidding. So if a "Bear" come close... :R

Just travel and don't worry.
Monaco Cayman 34 2003, Cummins 300HP
Bigfoot 2008, 10.4, F350, 2006, Diesel 6.0, Black, 4x4, long box, Air lift, Rancho 9000, Rear sway bar.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Years ago our C class was stolen right in front of our house while we were loading for a trip. They got as far as a corn field 1/2 mile away and got it stuck. The keys were in it and side door was open as we were loading. Couple of years ago at the Zmax race track in NC every motor home in our area that was unlocked was entered and money, credit cards, etc stolen. So it does happen. Bumper stickers---I have been stopped because of my NRA tag and my daughters college called her to the office and asked if she had a gun because of a NRA sticker in her window.....the stickers also tell the thieves that they might find guns inside to steal.

jerseyjim
Explorer
Explorer
Only ONE TIME in 22 years rving...one of my kids bicycles vanished overnight. Next day, found under a travel trailer. Their kid admitted....whole family got tossed.

Ivylog
Explorer III
Explorer III
Welcome to the forums. Theft is not a problem. Click on ClassA in the top right box and read the clicky items.
This post is my opinion (free advice). It is not intended to influence anyone's judgment nor do I advocate anyone do what I propose.
Sold 04 Dynasty to our son after 14 great years.
Upgraded with a 08 HR Navigator 45’...

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
As others have noted, the best advice is to use your common sense and be aware and avoid places where you would feel uncomfortable. We also use Walmart on occasions when we travel but there have been a few that just don't 'feel' right, so we move on. Sam's Clubs are another option and most of those we've used are nicer.

We have a small safe in the motorhome and keep the weapons there with the exception of one that I can get to quicker but still well hidden. We do not use interstate rest stops for overnights. We have safety strategies such as when we do stop at a rest area, I take the dogs out one at a time, DW stays in coach with door locked and I stay within eyesight of her. We both carry pepper spray.

I firmly believe that, overall, our society is in rapid decline and that those of us in nice motorhomes are potential targets for desperate and/or bad people. That said, the folks we've met in campgrounds and RV parks have almost always been nice and in 30+ years of RV travel, we've never had a problem. However, we remain aware and take reasonable precautions.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

Plumber101010
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all the replies. Truth be told, me and my wife don't have a CLUE what we are doing or getting into. We haven't made it past "lets buy a motorhome and travel". Pulling my crew cab 2500 4x4 behind it. Haven't really seen one of those towed but my dealer says not an issue at all. He tows his truck behind it all the time. So short of buying it, loading it up and hooking up my truck, it hasn't gone much further. Scared out of my wits would be a good way to say how I am feeling. Mainly cu we just don't know what to do or where to go. But I can tell you Walmart wil be my friend for sure...

down_home
Explorer
Explorer
Brake ins are more prevalent than thefts of MHs. Pretty hard to hid or disguise it going down the highway. While there are a lot of them not so many of one kind on the road.
Thieves look for where the money is just like Bank Robbers robbed banks, because that was where the money was.
They don't usually wait for you become convenient for them. They know where to look for Mhs. They want th stuff, like TVs and electronics and expensive personal items that they can conceal and sell quickly.
Guns would follow in that category.
When we were in Az especially, Texas and New Mexico the level ,of Illegal Alien and other crime was so evident and blatantly open, that a weapon felt comforting at times. We were careful to not go into areas we felt risky.
I could right many chapters on what we saw first hand. But....they will seek you out.
A RV Park or Resort is the most secure place. A lot, of people and management people and sometimes guards and gates.
An alarm system is a wise investment. We have one but the dealer disconnected it when he wrecked our coach. I still feel angry is why I threw that in.
Have good insurance, personal protection well concealed, in you "home" when not is use, alarm system that will wake the dead and maybe even call the police, park in secure settings and get on with enjoying RVing.

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
16 years of full-timing and never heard of break-ins. Just use common sense.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Full Timing.......

Hint!
Greet and meet your 'neighbors' when you first get to a new location.
'Neighbors' knowing you because you made the effort to introduce yourselves makes them feel included and gives them a sense of belonging.
When folks belong they pay attention to what is happening.

7 yrs. of FT traveling and we met a lot of neighbors......many that we are still in touch with.
Never had any issues/concerns while in a campground.

Bondocking is different.......then you need to be a bit more diligent.

Common sense, paying attention, gut feelings and if something doesn't 'feel' right.......move on. You don't have to place yourself IN a situation.
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

dahkota
Explorer
Explorer
Most of the thefts I've read about here have either occurred in the owner's driveway or in secure storage. I have never read here of an rv being broken into or stolen from a campground. In campgrounds, it seems outside items are stolen at night when they are left out.
2015 Jeep Willys Wrangler
2014 Fleetwood Bounder 33C
States camped: all but Hawaii
more than 1700 days on the road