cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner belt stretching P30 chassis.

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
I had the air conditioner compressor upgraded on my 93 Southwind with a P30 chassis and a GM 454. I believe Im on the 3rd belt in 3 years. It has 2 belt positions but only 1 belt because the crank, water pump and power steering pulls only have 1 spot for it. When I first got it back it was on the back position and went through 2 belts fairly quick Year or so. The last one I put on the front position and I thought I had it Because it has lasted well over a year but alas woe is me again. Does any out there know if the original had only a 1 spot pully and my new one could be ever so slightly out of line cause it to get hotter and stretch.
7 REPLIES 7

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Inspect the alignment, if, as you suspect the back pulley is too far back and the front one too far forward,, Dismount the compressor, add a washer or two to the mounting bolts between compressor and engine block to move it forward and use the back pulley once aligned.

Alternative.. You can get other pulleys but that is a job a bit above my tool box.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

dakdave
Explorer
Explorer
check the back of the belt(widest side) when installed to make sure it rides to the top of pulley grooves on every pulley it goes around.many times a pulley wears and belt rides to far down in pulley groove.

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the replies. I may have 9000 miles on it since I had the compressor changed and this is the 3rd belt. The Winnie site has some good info. The 1 drawing of the belt layout looks to have 2 belts on the comp. Ill keep looking.

jsteih
Explorer
Explorer
check this out

http://www.classicwinnebagos.com/forum/index.php?topic=11119.0
2002 Silverado 1500 Z71 w/5.3, 4L60E, and 3.73
2016 Wildwood Xlite 241QBXL, w/Equilizer "Maurice"

darsben1
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through the belt stretching problem on my P30.
Had belt replaced last October and by April with less than 10,000 miles on the belt it started squealing. My mechanic took off belt checked it and sure enough it had stretched. Replaced under warranty with a Gates. It was a NAPA. My compressor has a 2 spot pulley but only I slot open on engine pulley also. Mine has always been on the rear compressor pulley slot.
Traveling with my best friend, my wife in a 1990 Southwind

iyamtony
Explorer
Explorer
Not positive they have been different. Got the last one from NAPA. Think it was gates not positive.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have had varying results with different brands of belts. Dayco belts have always failed the soonest and Gates belts seem to last the longest.
You might try a different brand and see if your results change.