cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Air conditioner cut-off?

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
My MH has a single standard air conditioner. Does anyone know of an add on you can get to have it cut off at temp? My compressor cuts off but the fan still stays on. I wouldn't mind except it's right over the sleeping area and is quite noisy.
13 REPLIES 13

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
ugh wrote:
Wijames wrote:
Fishinghat wrote:
No, I don't know of any A/C that turns the fan off.

When your A/C is running, the compressor causes the coils to get cold on one side, possibly causing a build up of frost, and heat on the other side. The fan not only circulates the air but defrosts the cold coils and cools the hot side. The fan needs to run all the time to avoid problems.

You could try turning the fan speed down, but keep in mind that you may then have problems with the coils freezing up, especially in humid weather.

Do the fans on ducted air conditioners run all the time as well? I thought they shut off like a home unit. Also, can standard non-ducted air conditioners be set up to run off of a wall thermostat?

The fan stays on even for the units that are ducted. It does not function like home.

I have a Dometic AC with a wall mounted T-Stat and it shuts off completely when it hits the set-point (just ike our home AC).

Is it a non ducted unit? If so, can you give me the model number. Thanks

tpi
Explorer
Explorer
My Dometic is non ducted but has the wall thermostat which has auto mode. This mode varies the fan speed by steps and shuts off the fan when compressor shuts off. There's also low-med-high manual modes which the fan continues to run while the compressor cycles.

What brand of air conditioner do you have? I would think something could be whipped up and retrofitted no matter what you have. Perhaps the fan and the compressor could be wired to run/not run at the same time. But I do not know the limitations of the relay/thermostat for this wiring configuration. Maybe someone here does know this....

sdianel_-acct_c
Explorer
Explorer
If our thermostat is in the "auto" mode, both the compressor and the fan will shut off. If in fan mode the compressor will cut off and the fan will continue to run.
Lonny & Diane
2004 Country Coach Allure 33' "Big Blue"
Towing 2008 Chev Colorado 4x4
Semper Fi

wrgrs50s
Explorer
Explorer
I have heard of more complaints from those that shut the fan off than those that continue to run. Once it shuts off it will get real quiet then awaken you from the sudden start up of the fan and compressor.

Ours is ducted so I have both options and usually select the continuous fan on low at night to drown out any outside noises. I prefer to keep some air moving and the ac is a little quieter on a ducted unit.
Walter and Janie Rogers
2012 Sundance 277RL
TV 2006 Silverado 2500 6.0

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
ugh wrote:
Wijames wrote:
Fishinghat wrote:

When your A/C is running, the compressor causes the coils to get cold on one side, possibly causing a build up of frost, and heat on the other side. The fan not only circulates the air but defrosts the cold coils and cools the hot side. The fan needs to run all the time to avoid problems.

You could try turning the fan speed down, but keep in mind that you may then have problems with the coils freezing up, especially in humid weather.

Do the fans on ducted air conditioners run all the time as well? I thought they shut off like a home unit. Also, can standard non-ducted air conditioners be set up to run off of a wall thermostat?

The fan stays on even for the units that are ducted. It does not function like home.

I have a Dometic AC with a wall mounted T-Stat and it shuts off completely when it hits the set-point (just ike our home AC).

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
ugh wrote:
Wijames wrote:
Fishinghat wrote:

Actually the ducted A/C fans have auto setting on thermostat then they turn off when temp set point is reached just like home

Non ducted..no wall t-stat fans run until turned off
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

rvten
Explorer
Explorer
5Mainecampers wrote:
My A/C is a ducted unit connected with the wall thermostat-- The fan cuts off when Desired temp is reached, and automaticaly kicks back on with the compressor when needed.

X2
Tom & Bonnie
Crossville, TN.
Aspect 29H 2008 Type C
Ford Flex SEL 2010
There is NO B+

5Mainecampers
Explorer
Explorer
My A/C is a ducted unit connected with the wall thermostat-- The fan cuts off when Desired temp is reached, and automaticaly kicks back on with the compressor when needed.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
"No, I don't know of any A/C that turns the fan off."

Not so. The fans in my first MH ACs would continue to run after the condenser would go off, however, the three following RVs the AC would completely shutoff after the condenser stopped running.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Your thermostat is probably in the 'fan-on' mode. Need to switch the mode to automatic so it will go off with the compressor.

Post the thermostat make and model for best answers.

ugh
Explorer
Explorer
Wijames wrote:
Fishinghat wrote:

---------------------------------
2001 F250 5.4 3.73
2015 Wildwood X-Lite 262BHXL

Wijames
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:

Fishinghat
Explorer II
Explorer II

Holiday Rambler Navigator DP, Hummer, and Honda VT1100C Shadow