cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Alignment Before or After New Tires ?

USMC46
Explorer
Explorer
Going to get new tires in a few weeks. Going back with the same Michelins. Is it best to do the alignment before or after the new tires ? I've been told both ! Thanks.
Jim & Carmel

2016 Escape 17b
2017 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk With Factory Tow Package
26 REPLIES 26

B_s_Bunch
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
03 RoadKing wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
I just got new tires. ran up the street and had 4 wheel alignment done.
bumpy

You got a 4 wheel alignment on a motor home?????

Yep, aligning the rear axle is called the thrust angle alignment and makes sure that all four wheels are going in a straight line and square to each other. As seen from the rear, if a vehicle's rear axle is out of alignment the vehicle looks like it is crabbing down the road. Adjusting and aligning the rear axle eliminates this crabbing and results in better rear tire wear and better handling for the coach.
I see a lot of semi trailers going down the road that look like the trailer is trying to pass the tractor.:E axels not aligned. Larry
Larry,Brenda,Travis,Jarred & MEME the Boston Terror:E TheBunch 2011 American Coach Revolution 42T:C The Double Wide

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
03 RoadKing wrote:
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Yep, aligning the rear axle is called the thrust angle alignment and makes sure that all four wheels are going in a straight line and square to each other. As seen from the rear, if a vehicle's rear axle is out of alignment the vehicle looks like it is crabbing down the road. Adjusting and aligning the rear axle eliminates this crabbing and results in better rear tire wear and better handling for the coach.

mpierce
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I didn't know they did alignments on travel trailers

Yes. The shop that does my Peterbilt and 53' Reefer trailers, also does motorhomes and travel trailers. When I first got a 42' toy hauler, I took it in to them. He got the axles set right, good wear now.

The HD shops do them all.

03_RoadKing
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
bumpy

Jim and Deb
The Furchildren Abby and Baylee
USAF Retired
2001 Newmar Mountain Aire

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
psw757 wrote:
Similar question,

Just had an alignment at freightliner on a brand new coach that had a minor toe in issue on both fronts wheels. They corrected it.

I am now replacing the steel wheels and simulators with some nice Alcoa aluminums. I'm assuming as long as the new wheels are balanced and since the alignment was just corrected I should not need another alignment from just putting new wheels on correct?

Thanks

Correct.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

psw757
Explorer
Explorer
Similar question,

Just had an alignment at freightliner on a brand new coach that had a minor toe in issue on both fronts wheels. They corrected it.

I am now replacing the steel wheels and simulators with some nice Alcoa aluminums. I'm assuming as long as the new wheels are balanced and since the alignment was just corrected I should not need another alignment from just putting new wheels on correct?

Thanks

topflite51
Explorer
Explorer
A lot of money is wasted on unnecessary alignments. If the old tires are not showing abnormal wear patterns nor is there any handling problems alignments become simply a profit point for the shop doing them.
:CDavid
Just rolling along enjoying life
w/F53 Southwind towing a 87 Samurai or 01 Grand Vitara looking to fish
Simply Despicable ๐Ÿ˜›
Any errors are a result of CRS.:s

JetAonly
Explorer
Explorer
I don't think that I would have front tire work done at a shop that can't align them, too. Unless in extremis. I don't think it matters for the rears.
2000 Monaco Dynasty
ISC350

w4phj
Explorer
Explorer
PastorCharlie wrote:
Aliments are not based off the tire but the wheel.

Exactly !!!!

It would be helpful for the alignment technician to see the old tire
wear pattern if possible. I frequently take photos of items I need
to remember or show to others.

Don't forget to insure that the alignment tech checks the front
end and steering components for wear. He will also "center" the
steering wheel.

Be sure to tell the alignment tech if there are any noises or wandering issues as he may want to increase the caster angle a little.
2021 Winnebago View 24J
2021 Ram pick up
2015 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Ham Radio Extra Class Volunteer Examiner
FAA A&P License

1969 Plymouth Road Runner

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
My mechanic has the same philosphy with Sailor Lou's guy!

PastorCharlie
Explorer
Explorer
Aliments are not based off the tire but the wheel.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I didn't know they did alignments on travel trailers

in the class A forum I "assumed" this was either a motorized RV or toad.
bumpy

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
In the past I always had an alignment with new tires because it was "recommended" by the tire shops (easy $$$ for them). For years I watched their techs with my vehicles on the rack and very rarely did I see any of them make an actual adjustment. Several years ago I went to a new shop and asked about an alignment and the owner questioned why. He stated he would do it, but unless I was having wear or handling problems I would only be wasting my cash. Since then, other than one time after I replaced a tie rod end, I haven't had (or needed) an alignment on any of my cars or trucks and I typically drive them till the wheels fall off (> 300k miles). I now also have my favorite and only tire shop.

The bottom line is to do what makes you comfortable, but consider all opinions.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ivylog wrote:
I recently replaced my tires and did not do an alignment as the old tires showed no signs of uneven wear. If it ain't broke, leave it alone.

That is what I would do. If the old tires show even wear, and you are replacing them just because of age, I see no logical reason to have the new tires aligned.
Obviously you can keep inspect the tires during your travels and if alignment is called for at some time in the future, then you can have it aligned.