cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Allison 1000

Vegas1
Explorer
Explorer
I know this topic has been covered in the past, but I can't seem to find the right answer. I am planning a change over to Transynd using the double drain and fill method. For the first drain and fill, what is the fluid capacity coming out of the pan? (I believe this is the shallow pan) Also, what is a good filter comparable to the Allison brand?
2012 Itasca Suncruiser 37 F
Ford F-53 24,0000
2010 Chevy Equinox. Blue Ox & Brake Buddy
25 REPLIES 25

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
Seamutt wrote:
What about Dexron 6 in an Allison?

DEXRON-VI is no longer recommended for any Allison products. This includes any of the Allison 1000/2000 and 3000/4000 Series.
Tom Johnson
Former Transmission Fluids Engineer (Allison Transmission, Inc.)
Avon, IN 46123

Seamutt
Explorer
Explorer
What about Dexron 6 in an Allison?

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:
Granted TES 295 fluid does cost a few bucks more but MY transmission shifts better and runs cooler with it, as verified with my digital scan gauge monitoring transmission fluid temperature. Transmissions are expensive. Transmission fluid is cheap. I would rather use what Allison recommends than a less expensive fluid that I MAY be able to get by with.

I had the same experience when I went with Transynd fluid.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
Frankie & Scarlett, (The Cats)
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
hooligan wrote:
rgatijnet1 wrote:

To the original question, regarding the Allison 1000MH transmission. ONLY TES295 approved transmission fluids are recommended. D3M fluid is NOT TES295 approved. D3M fluid specs
So the choice is yours, use a non-approved fluid or use what the Allison engineers recommend.

TRANSYND (TES 295) is obviously the better/ and recommended choice for use in Allison Transmissions.
Most Allison's in use now come with or have been refilled with TRANSYND, however those remaining transmissions using DEXRON III equivalent fluids, licensed by Allison as meeting their TES 389 are using an approved transmission fluid.
As stated on the Allison website: "TES 389™ fluids may be used in traditional on-highway products but do not provide the same drain intervals or filter change intervals as Allison Approved TES 295®"
Your link to Petro-Canada D3M fluid indicates it is TES389 licensed and therefore is an approved Allison fluid..

edit..I should add that not all D3M fluids are licensed as meeting Allison's TES389..

TES 389 means D3M is an approved fluid to replace Dex III, not Transynd. As I said, you can use what you wants but Allison recommends a TES295 approved fluid made by several different manufacturers. Since the TES 389 fluids certainly do not last as long in "severe" usage (most RV are operated at close to the maximum gross weight all of the time, thus severe service) why take a chance with a fluid that is only a few bucks cheaper? From the Allison site, it is more than just extended drain intervals. They say that:
Allison recommends that customers use an Allison Approved TES 295® automatic transmission fluid to extend drain intervals and enhance transmission performance and durability in all operating environments with on-highway products.
Granted TES 295 fluid does cost a few bucks more but MY transmission shifts better and runs cooler with it, as verified with my digital scan gauge monitoring transmission fluid temperature. Transmissions are expensive. Transmission fluid is cheap. I would rather use what Allison recommends than a less expensive fluid that I MAY be able to get by with.

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
rgatijnet1 wrote:

To the original question, regarding the Allison 1000MH transmission. ONLY TES295 approved transmission fluids are recommended. D3M fluid is NOT TES295 approved. D3M fluid specs
So the choice is yours, use a non-approved fluid or use what the Allison engineers recommend.

TRANSYND (TES 295) is obviously the better/ and recommended choice for use in Allison Transmissions.
Most Allison's in use now come with or have been refilled with TRANSYND, however those remaining transmissions using DEXRON III equivalent fluids, licensed by Allison as meeting their TES 389 are using an approved transmission fluid.
As stated on the Allison website: "TES 389™ fluids may be used in traditional on-highway products but do not provide the same drain intervals or filter change intervals as Allison Approved TES 295®"
Your link to Petro-Canada D3M fluid indicates it is TES389 licensed and therefore is an approved Allison fluid..

edit..I should add that not all D3M fluids are licensed as meeting Allison's TES389..
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
fredbon wrote:
hzjcm8 wrote:

They were (and still are) trying to tell the consumer that their fluids pass both the GM DEXRON-IIIH and the Ford MERCON specifications.

Note: I know this because I used to be on the GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Committee that granted GM DEXRON-IIIH licenses. In fact, I go back to 1990 when GM still had the DEXRON-II and DEXRON-IIE specifications.

Back to the original question, I know a broken record, can consumers be safe using D3M products in Allison Transmissions?

Fred

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
fredbon wrote:
hzjcm8 wrote:

They were (and still are) trying to tell the consumer that their fluids pass both the GM DEXRON-IIIH and the Ford MERCON specifications.

Note: I know this because I used to be on the GM Automatic Transmission Fluid Committee that granted GM DEXRON-IIIH licenses. In fact, I go back to 1990 when GM still had the DEXRON-II and DEXRON-IIE specifications.

Back to the original question, I know a broken record, can consumers be safe using D3M products in Allison Transmissions?

Fred

Fredbon (et al),
Some of these older DEXRON-IIIH/MERCON (D3M) products are not compatible with Allison Viton seals. Your seals could harden and crack over time if your transmission was built prior to the serial number break point (2006-2007 timeframe). The problem is that, without undergoing the TES-389 seal test, no one really knows for sure which ones are good and which ones are bad. The only older DEXRON-IIIH/MERCON products that are known to not cause problems with Allison Viton seals are those listed on the TES-389 approved fluids list.
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
hzjcm8 wrote:

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

As I've Matured... I've learned that artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
fredbon wrote:
What am I missing, I didn't see any Dextron III brand products, just the equivalent products. Back to the previous recommendations, Dextron Brand is no longer approved.

Fred

Allison TES-389 approved products were all, at one time, GM DEXRON-IIIH licensed products. However, the GM DEXRON-IIIH specification was obsoleted after DEXRON-VI hit the market. So, those older DEXRON-IIIH products lost their GM licenses. The word DEXRON (all in caps with a circle R) is a GM owned trademark. After the DEXRON-IIIH specification was obsoleted, manufacturers of those products could no longer legally put the word "DEXRON" on the product labels or containers. That's why these older DEXRON-III products, that are still on the market today, carry the D3M designation. Most of those older products passed both the GM DEXRON-III (D3) specification and the Ford MERCON (M) specification. So, manufacturers began to list their older DEXRON-IIIH/MERCON products using the abbreviation "D3M". They were (and still are) trying to tell the consumer that their fluids pass both the GM DEXRON-IIIH and the Ford MERCON specifications.

Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Switchman wrote:
When i took our coach to an Allison dealer for the first oil change, we talked about changeing over to transynd oil, let see what you have, he came back later and said the good news you have transyd oil. So he changed the oil and replaced the filter. He also said see me in two years for the next oil change and at that time he'll replace the filter that in the transmission.

I'm guessing that the Allison dealer was planning on doing an expensive overhaul on your transmission in two years since Allison recommends ONLY changing the internal filter during an overhaul on the 1000 transmission. It is great to find a technician that can accurately predict when your transmission will fail, two years in advance, and require an overhaul. :R

Switchman
Explorer
Explorer
When i took our coach to an Allison dealer for the first oil change, we talked about changeing over to transynd oil, let see what you have, he came back later and said the good news you have transyd oil. So he changed the oil and replaced the filter. He also said see me in two years for the next oil change and at that time he'll replace the filter that in the transmission.
Owen & Barb
2004 Bounder 36S Workhorse W22
2009 Chevy HHR - Toad
Co-pilot Live Laptop 10 - GPS

MSGT, USAF (Ret)

FurKids:
Want to be a lap dog, Black Lab-Rod mix named: Hollie: :?
A lap dog Yorkie-Chihuahua mix: Kiki: :Z

FMCA F386249 - Good Sam Club

fredbon
Explorer
Explorer
What am I missing, I didn't see any Dextron III brand products, just the equivalent products. Back to the previous recommendations, Dextron Brand is no longer approved.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie
2005 Dolphin LX 6375
2006 Saturn VUE

hzjcm8
Explorer
Explorer
allbrandauto wrote:
wrong way to do it find a shop that has a trans. flush machine and Allison cooler line adapters and have them do it wont cost alot

Allbrandauto,

Flushing is not recommended by Allison Transmission. I know because I was involved in writing oil recommendations during my time there at Allison Transmission as the Transmission Fluids Engineer (1990-2009).
Tom Johnson
Avon, IN 46123

hooligan
Explorer
Explorer
fredbon wrote:
TES 295 is the only standard they are now using.
Allison Approved Fluids
Fred

Fred your link above,- go to "On Highway" transmissions. Select TES389 at the top of the page. It it still shows the Dexron III equivalent TES389 is an approved fluid but does not allow the longer fluid and filter changes. It also lists the brands that have applied for and received Allison's TES 389 blessing...
Allison approved ON HIGHWAY fluids..
Hooligan U.S. Coast Guard Ret.
2016 THOR Siesta Sprinter 24ST Diesel
2008 SUZUKI Grand Vitara TOAD
1 Pug "Lily", 1 Newfoundland, "George"
1972 MotoGuzzi Eldorado