cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Alternatives to lack of storage space

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Getting ready to embark on an extended road trip shortly. Being both a class c and not an overly large one, I've been having concerns of storing all the stuff I anticipate needing. Biggest issue is the spare tire. I've seen some that say they don't need one. I'd rather not do a several thousand mile trip without, but the normal place where they stored it was in the under the bed storage place and that takes up a lot of room that could be used for other stuff. Other things taking up room are 2 inflatable kayaks, portable clothes washer, eu2000 + gas, external canopy and chairs, roller blades, wife's shoes. You get the idea. My 3 ideas would be roof mount, which is 10' up and difficult to access with heavy items, a rear bumper cargo mount, which would displace the bike rack, or getting a small enclosed trailer to haul all that stuff. I'm kind of liking the idea of a small trailer except for the part about actually towing something. Parking and backing up would be more limited. Does anyone use a small trailer like the wells cargo service wagon? What would I look for, and how do they handle being pulled down the freeway? I'd need one big enough to put all the above mentioned stuff plus a couple of bicycles since I'd be using the tow hitch for towing instead of holding the bike rack.
1998 Class C Lazy Daze 26 1/2 island bed
banks intake/exhaust
wifi/4g/siriusXM/DTV/DirecTV/CB
2xGeorbital electric bike conversions
49 REPLIES 49

ctilsie242
Explorer
Explorer
You could go with an open trailer, which would be a lot cheaper. Downside is that you will have to buy and secure a bunch of Actionpacker like toolchests.

I do agree about hitch mounted cargo and their long moment arm... but if the manufacturer rates them for 5000 pound pull weight and 500 pound toungue weight, they know better with engineering than I do.

As for the hitch hitting the ground, that is a good point... maybe a skid wheel or two on the hitch might help there, just to protect the levelling jacks.

My needs are different, but if I were taking a bunch of stuff on a trip (I really don't have that much stuff, and most of my current TT's cabinets are empty), I would definitely consider an enclosed trailer, provided that it was well within the tow capacity of the rig. The trailer would be used for holding a reserved spot (because people just toss flags and cones somewhere else and take the spot anyway, while moving a trailer is a felony hard charge), and also can provide additional solar when boondocking.

ronfisherman
photobug wrote:
alliemac9, I have one of those, use it on my van for various things including hauling the garbage cans to the dump. Would be an option except my bike rack is taking up the trailer hitch. Looked into a way to hook up both, not really practical without serious modifications.

Have you considered a combination cargo carrier bike rack. Here is one. .

I made a double receiver for my son that allows him to put bike rack above cargo carrier. Lower part that cargo carrier goes in. Is a extension that puts cargo carrier behind bikes. He has a aluminum box similar to a pickup tool box that bolts onto cargo carrier. This gives him a watertight secure place to store stuff. He has running and brake lights on rack.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
Those hitch mount cargo carriers rather worry me, doubly so on an RV. Every bit of weight on them is tongue weight, and it's applied to the hitch receiver with a loner lever arm than a typical trailer ball would have so the torque applied to the hitch is greater. On an RV with the long rear overhang, that leads to considerable forces on the hitch as one goes over bumps etc.

They should be okay so long as the load is light (assuming one doesn't have trouble with hitting the ground). If the load is, say, a couple hundred pounds or so, please be extra cautious and keep a close eye on things like the hitch mounting to the RV frame and the rear axle weight.

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
alliemac9, I have one of those, use it on my van for various things including hauling the garbage cans to the dump. Would be an option except my bike rack is taking up the trailer hitch. Looked into a way to hook up both, not really practical without serious modifications.
I've looked a little at solar, and for cheep units, we're looking at about $100 per 100w. I've also looked at the yeti power packs, which may be an option sometime in the future.
As for powering photographic stuff, I'm looking at 2 1600ws strobes, 2 laptops, 3 battery chargers, phone, and sometimes the camera for timelapse work. Can't always get the rv or cord close to the shoot. I've been shooting kids little league team and individual pictures, some times for 6hrs straight. Seattle weather precludes depending on solar for your main source of power.
For a short time, alternatives might work, but since I'm moving and it may be up to 6 months before I get all my household stuff out of storage. Makes storing equipment I know works a challenge. A small, securable trailer that could hold a couple of tables, canopies, lights and stands, a small ladder and the various other stuff I carry to a shoot plus a couple of bikes, is looking attractive. I use the bikes to get to on course sites when shooting 10k and marathon road races. (the bikes are electric) A small trailer hardwired for the generator/solar/battery might be interesting. That way I'm not tripping over all that stuff when not in use.
banks intake/exhaust

alliemac9
Explorer
Explorer
Would something like this (Amazon link) be enough? I have one... I don't recall having needed it on the RV yet, but it's always in the back of my mind if I do. Comes in handy on the SUV on occasion. Seems fairly utilitarian, but small and economical.

Also, not sure what all you need to power photographically, but you might want to bump solar higher on your project list and then you could get rid of the Honda generator. I have 632 watts on my roof and have no problem keeping up with everything. I, unfortunately, don't have space for a big battery bank, so I try to run laptops and charge things when the sun is out, but realistically, I could punish my batteries more than I do and be perfectly fine. Solar might be one of my favorite upgrades to date!! (from one photog to another) 🙂
2007 Coachmen Freelander 2430DB + 2 dogs

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
Number of axles probably depends on the builder and weight capacity. I've seen new builds with a single 3500# axle. I think you could find what you need with a single axle.

Gary

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Looked into u-haul. They want $1300 for 10 days, probably need it for longer than that. Still looking at trailers, there were 3 of them on craigslist last week, gone by saturday afternoon. Also looked at another vehicle to tow behind, not sure if I want to try and buy something, then get it and the MH set up, would cost me a fair amount just for the controller/actuator/lighting/tow bar system in addition to another vehicle that may or may not be flat towable. I get Avan's issue with them being too low, I have back issues myself that makes it difficult to bend over sometimes. (a little garden stool with wheels works wonders for working down low)
Single axle or dual axle? Do the toll roads in the south charge by number of axles? I know the golden gate bridge does. With a limit of 3000lbs do you really need dual axles?
banks intake/exhaust

OLYLEN
Explorer
Explorer
With the MH you have I would put a 10' enclosed trailer behind it WITH BRAKES and go for it. I'm towing a 4-runner 4 down and doing just fine, you will be a lot lighter than my MH and the trailer will be lighter than the 4-runner. Pratice backing in a MT parking lot and your good to go, you will be able to back up I can't, I would damage the tow bar. Or get a small pickup and tow it 4 down with its bed as storage. There are always options.

LEN

avan
Explorer
Explorer
I'm sorry but I haven't read OP's entire post but am answering the question asked in his title. My storage compartments are totally empty when I travel. While I would agree they are too small my reason is they are too low and with my back and my knees, I find them physically unusable. If I were to get on my knees to retrieve something from one of those, I would provide a half hours entertainment to the RV park as I crawl to find a hand hold to use to push myself up.

I bought a SUV to tow and I lower the rear seats and my dump hoses are curled into a 5 gal sealed pail, my water hoses in a milk gallon crate, my tools in a chest and those, with my fishing equipment, extra water, etc etc etc are in the more comfortable height and behind the more friendly sized rear hatch of my toad. FWIW.
www.putt10.net

DrewE
Explorer
Explorer
If it were me looking for a trailer to pull behind my motorhome, I would look for one with trailer brakes (and, of course, install and wire the requisite brake controller in the motorhome if they're electric brakes). It may not be required legally for trailers of this size, at least in many jurisdictions, but given that motorhomes are not the quickest vehicles to stop even without a trailer it seems like a good idea to me.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
ya know for $3K I would seriously look at Uhaul or whoever they have trailers like you want and are not that expensive. Look at craigs list for a used but actually would go to bigger one since you would likely move more into it as you go?

FunTwoDrv
Explorer
Explorer
PB, Just for reference, we had a fairly short Jamboree with the spare mounted under the rear frame. We moved it to a front bumper mount and the handling greatly improved.
As for a trailer, we say several "C's" pulling enclosed trailers during this Summer's adventure. That's the route I would take as well. Also, take a close look at a trailer that's 10' or even 12'. My experience towing Uhauls with our Coachmen is the shorter ones are a real pain to back up!!

Good Luck,
Gary

photobug
Explorer
Explorer
Here's the portable clothes washer we got. Sits in the shower and plugs into the water/drain there. works ok for light clothes every couple of days or so. spin dries pretty well then hang for final dry. Towels and jeans aren't as efficient. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AW04ZMM/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

looking at a trailer like this
https://www.trailersplus.com/Washington/Marysville/5-Wide-Cargo-Trailers/trailer/4RAVS081XHN101927

Kayaks are inflatable so they pack into a 2x3x2 bag. wouldn't mind having hard ones, but carrying them on the MH would be difficult with all the **** on the roof as it is.
banks intake/exhaust

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like everything is full for folks who take a lot, and everyone in the less-is-more camp is happy there too. I've seen kayaks carried vertically on the back, likely va the hitch or ladder. Our tire is under the rear overhang; can't imagine getting it if it was on top, even with my collapsing ladder. I'm also interested in the portable washer, and the trailer for that matter. We've toyed with pulling a long trailer to fit everyone's gear for a long trip, especially since we often get to max on the rear axle - but can pull 10k. Since you're moving, I'd pull a trailer, which gives you flexibility at the new place- instant storage unit. You'll get the hang of backing up- or just go around the block a few times! Keep us posted.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

Harvey51
Explorer
Explorer
We have very little storage room in our 20 foot C. I figured I would be adding back bumper storage boxes but luckily was delayed and we found the inside storage was quite adequate. We only have stuff on the cabover bed when one of us gets carried away shopping. The thing with storage is that it always gets filled up regardless of how much you have. Often less is more satisfying in the end.

We have the big spare tire mounted above the bumper. Never used in 9 years now but not carrying a spare prevents backwoods travel. I got its mount reinforced when I had a custom hitch added. We use the hitch to pull a 12 foot trailer with up to 4 kayaks. It pulls very easily, easy to forget it's there, but it does take away from the wonderful versatility of a small C which can park nearly anywhere a pickup truck can. I put a switch on the backup camera so I control when it is on - just a matter of running the power wire through a switch accessible from the driver's seat. I admit easier for me with the camera mounted inside the back window so all wiring is inside.

We never thought of carrying a generator. As long time tent campers we hated the noise of the darn things. We were very short of boondocking power in our C until I installed a solar panel. I was sure pleased that one 100 watt panel does the job completely so we never plug in. No doubt that is because we don't have room for many electric appliances.
2004 E350 Adventurer (Canadian) 20 footer - Alberta, Canada
No TV + 100W solar = no generator needed