cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Am I special or what?

bigdad1
Explorer
Explorer
Took our "Bus" in for repair about 3 weeks ago, to find and repair a water leak, and repair air ride in divers seat. Also while it was there, I decided to have the front T.V. replaced and add a satellite dish, and repairs to sound system. I wanted a certain dish system, and gave them a copy off the internet of what I wanted, (a cheaper system)portable, that could be mounted on top. Got a call to pick up the unit, and everything was repaired/installed. Now, does everyone have this problem, or is it just me? The jobs were not done. The leak was not found or repaired, the dish was not installed and was different than what I wanted, it was only portable. Now, this is not the first time we have had this happen. Seems there is a communication problem between me and the service writer and between him and the technicians. Two of the problems are: the dish I wanted is no longer available and they didn't know we had shut valve under the sink to top the leak when we were camping. A simple phone call would have helped them and me. Hopefully we will get everything corrected but can't believe this only happens to me.
21 REPLIES 21

fla-gypsy
Explorer
Explorer
Communication problem between the customer and the service writer.
This member is not responsible for opinions that are inaccurate due to faulty information provided by the original poster. Use them at your own discretion.

09 SuperDuty Crew Cab 6.8L/4.10(The Black Pearl)
06 Keystone Hornet 29 RLS/(The Cracker Cabana)

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have not personally had that happen but from other's comments in the forum.. not at all uncommon. Give the service center an appropriate review.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
It's like sending someone at work an email with three questions, sometimes they only answer one, maybe two questions if you're lucky. You never get answers to all three questions. (Yes it's nice to be retired now!)

So when I take the MH in for repairs, I always provide a written list of what I want done. This is especially true when they have to pay attention to details like use the owner supplied oil and fuel filter (laying in the passenger seat) but the shop is to supply the air filter. Sometimes I even send them the list by email after I've turned in the MH in case they loose the copy I brought in. I also make sure the list has all of the various ways to contact me if there's a problem or question.

Then before I pick it up, I call them to make sure it's all done. Even after that, I've still gotten there and something wasn't done. All you can do is try....

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

Executive45
Explorer III
Explorer III
Obvious communication problem....that said, IMHO, it's YOUR responsibility to convey to the service writer what you want done. They can't be mind readers that you shut off a water valve. When they checked, nothing leaked, so they're good. It was your responsibility to make them aware of changes. Also, again, my opinion, but if I wanted someone to buy and install a certain sat system, I'd have checked it out on line to ensure I was getting the best possible deal. If that had been done, YOU would have known it was out of production. Begin by looking in the mirror and learn from this experience. If it's important to YOU, then put everything in writing when talking with the service writer. I've done this on occasion to ensure things are done to my satisfaction when I return. Things should be kept simple and understandable.

i.e. there was a water leak at the kitchen sink that I want repaired. When I turn the faucet on it leaks on the cold water side. I've turned the valve off so it doesn't leak. Here's the sat system I want installed, if it's not available, please call and we can discuss alternatives.

I'm sure if you'd done that, you'd be a satisfied and happy camper at this point...leave nothing to chance and you won't ever be disappointed......Dennis
We can do more than we think we can, but most do less than we think we do
Dennis and Debi Fourteen Years Full Timing
Monaco Executive M-45PBQ Quad Slide
525HP Cummins ISM 6 Spd Allison
2014 Chevrolet Equinox LTZ W/ ReadyBrute
CLICK HERE TO VIEW OUR TRAVEL BLOG

down_home
Explorer II
Explorer II
..... Decided I didn't want to go there.

ncrowley
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, I have had that problem many times. The last time, I asked them to steam clean the radiator and replace the air filter. I asked to see how that was done so I could do it myself next time. When I went out to see the air filter being replaced, I saw they were draining the fluid out of the radiator. I corrected them and they put the fluid back in and did what they were supposed to. Thank goodness I went to see what they were doing.
Nancy
Newmar Northern Star

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
bigdad1 wrote:
Took our "Bus" in for repair about 3 weeks ago, to find and repair a water leak, and repair air ride in divers seat. Also while it was there, I decided to have the front T.V. replaced and add a satellite dish, and repairs to sound system. I wanted a certain dish system, and gave them a copy off the internet of what I wanted, (a cheaper system)portable, that could be mounted on top. Got a call to pick up the unit, and everything was repaired/installed. Now, does everyone have this problem, or is it just me? The jobs were not done. The leak was not found or repaired, the dish was not installed and was different than what I wanted, it was only portable. Now, this is not the first time we have had this happen. Seems there is a communication problem between me and the service writer and between him and the technicians. Two of the problems are: the dish I wanted is no longer available and they didn't know we had shut valve under the sink to top the leak when we were camping. A simple phone call would have helped them and me. Hopefully we will get everything corrected but can't believe this only happens to me.

haven't had that problem. maybe it's because every time I take the MH in for service I provide the shop with detailed, numbered written instructions.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle