cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone know of a shop that can true tires in central Indiana

Larry37
Explorer
Explorer
I have a couple brand new 19.5 tires that are out of round and can't seem to get warranteed. I am tired of dealing with selling dealer and would like to get them trued / shaved and be done with it.
Balancing is not the issue they are out of round.
I want it done with wheels on vehicle.
If anyone knows a shop in central Indiana that still does this please let me know.
Thanks
19 REPLIES 19

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
The Goodyear dealer was just North of the old DeMartini shop in Wakarusa - right off the main drag - but now that you ask, maybe it was the Holiday Rambler/Monaco service center that actually did the tire truing - don't have my paperwork from the 08, went with the rig when I traded it in, so I can't confirm the name of the dealer.
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

Larry37
Explorer
Explorer
Tyoungs
Do you know the name of shop that done your tires. I called the only goodyear dealer in Wakarusa and they never heard of truing.
This would be perfect if I could find where you had it done as I am fairly close.
Thanks

tyoungs
Explorer
Explorer
Goodyear dealer in Wakarusa Indiana trued the tires on my 08 Endeavor, made all the difference in the ride!
Tom & Mary plus Lilli the Havanese
2017 Entegra Aspire 44B,
450 Cummins, Spartan K2
HRRVC #106803
2017 Buick Enclave toad:)
RV.NET Rallies attended - 6

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Larry37 wrote:
Thanks all for the advise. I have a few shops to call on Monday.
In response to some of the discussion on this post-

Yes I know about road force balancing that's what the selling dealer keeps wanting to do over and over. And I've taken to 2 shops. I ordered a tire and rim package that was mounted and balanced and supposed to be bolt on ready but not so as it turns out
You can balance a square tire but if it's not round it won't roll smooth.
I'm sure they are centered on hubs.
I have 2 that are out round I checked them myself.
Tire truing may or may not void warranty but after you drive 20 miles on them no one would ever be able to tell. At this point the selling dealer and manufacturer isn't to interested in fixing and who's to say I won't get 2 more out of round. I'm tire of sitting in a tire shop and still not right when I'm working 70+hrs week
19.5 and larger tires are notorious for being out of round due to the thicker tread.
I live in Florida and there are a number of shops that still true tires around me. It used to be very popular with rv'ers and semi's. Unfortunately I am in Indiana working and haven't been able to locate anyone to true around here. We were looking forward to taking the long way home after we finish in late January but may have just live with it and take the short route.
Thanks

Larry,
Boy you said a mouthful when you stated the part about balancing a "square" tire but, it still won't roll smooth. ABSOLUTELY CORRECT! An Egg is an EGG, PERIOD! It's really too bad that there's no truing service in your area. Yep, they're still around but, apparently not in the abundance they used to be. So, not sure what to tell you at this point. No one is happy on eggs. Like I stated in my earlier post to you. We picked up our coach in Sparks NV and drove about 5 miles on the very smooth, California 395 in that area and I could really feel some issues with the front tires.

So, we pulled off at Carson City, into a Walmart parking lot. Since the tires on the coach were less than a year old, and were purchased from a Les Schwab dealer, I thought I'd look up a Les Schwab dealer in the area. Well, they were only about 3 blocks from our location at the time. So, of to them we went.

An hour and half later, it was all better. I was not going to drive, almost 700 miles with eggs for front tires. And yes, they did have tons of weights. One could have "Road force balanced" them for the rest of their life and still, come out with an egg. So, anyway, hope you get them trued soon. Most shops that really know about truing will tell you that you will get increased mileage AFTER it's done. That's due to a perfectly round tire that's rolling as smooth as possible down the road with no imperfections. Good luck.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Larry37
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all for the advise. I have a few shops to call on Monday.
In response to some of the discussion on this post-

Yes I know about road force balancing that's what the selling dealer keeps wanting to do over and over. And I've taken to 2 shops. I ordered a tire and rim package that was mounted and balanced and supposed to be bolt on ready but not so as it turns out
You can balance a square tire but if it's not round it won't roll smooth.
I'm sure they are centered on hubs.
I have 2 that are out round I checked them myself.
Tire truing may or may not void warranty but after you drive 20 miles on them no one would ever be able to tell. At this point the selling dealer and manufacturer isn't to interested in fixing and who's to say I won't get 2 more out of round. I'm tire of sitting in a tire shop and still not right when I'm working 70+hrs week
19.5 and larger tires are notorious for being out of round due to the thicker tread.
I live in Florida and there are a number of shops that still true tires around me. It used to be very popular with rv'ers and semi's. Unfortunately I am in Indiana working and haven't been able to locate anyone to true around here. We were looking forward to taking the long way home after we finish in late January but may have just live with it and take the short route.
Thanks

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Tire "shaving" or "truing" has been done since the 70s and is still being done today. The OP apparently knows what he's asking for and doing. While out of round tires are not as prevalent today as they have been in the past, THEY STILL EXIST! If one is smart enough to determine that tire is out of round and doesn't try fifty zillion ways of balancing because he KNOWS the tire is out of round, then, there's primarily only two choices.

One is, if the tire is under some form of warranty, then you do what you can to get it replaced. Whether or not the selling company complies is a whole 'nother subject. Most will.

Your second choice is, GET IT TRUED!!! I've had many tires trued. Truck tires, car tires, and motorhome tires. The last time I talked with Discount tire on the subject, they claimed that tire with over .060 runnout (right close to an 1/16" of an inch), it is labeled as out of round. I've performed my own tests on my coach and have found more than that figure. I then had them trued and it was like GLASS from that point on. They were done ON THE COACH and then, rebalanced. Each time it took less than 1/2 the original weight to rebalance the tire.

Is it possible to have a tire/wheel mounted "off center" on a hub"? Damn near impossible. Since 100% of todays tires and wheels are either "hub piloted" or "stud piloted" which means, one method or the other is CENTERING the wheel on the hub. Now, can a tire be mounted "off center" of the wheel, again, almost impossible but, it can happen in extremely rare circumstances. It happened to us when we first picked up our present coach, an Itasca Horizon 36GD with the 330 CAT. It's got 255-80R-22.5 tires. Both front tire were slightly miss-mounted. Les Schwab of Carson City NV, re-mounted them and again, they took about 1/3 the amount of weight that was previously on them.

So, yes, tires CAN BE OUT OF ROUND. Just how you choose to deal with it, is up to you. And the part about "dishonoring" warranty if a tire is trued, not so true. I've had Discount "Pay" for truing due to the fact that they had no tires to replace the ones they just sold me and one or two were out of round. Yes, they still kept the warranty on them.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Before I shaved rubber off the tire, I would have a tire shop break them loose from the rim, rotate 180 degrees, reinflate, and balance. It is very common for tires to seat off center on the rim. After they stretch a bit, then they are more likely to seat on center. The Michelin truck tire book even instructs the installer to mount them, deflate, rotate, and reinflate. I have never seen an installer go to that trouble but the concept makes sense.

How out of round are they? Have you put a dial indicator on them? While you have the indicator out, check the rim runout too.

Report back when you resolve this please.
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
When we first got the Allure with dealer-installed Michelin tires, there was some bounce at higher speeds in the front. The RV dealer (Tom Johnson) offered to have them trued but the mobile service who does the work was not going to be available for another day and we had to leave. Since, the issue seems to have resolved. However, it seems there are folks still doing that type of work.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
Interesting. The place I have it done trues 100% of the front tires on their fleet of OTR tanker trucks and then spin balances them on the rig. Drivers really rave about the smoother ride.

Truing is not just about tires, but also about run-out in wheel and hub.

And, they also claim (no reason to make it up-- they have nothing to sell, these are their own trucks) that the tires go more miles being absolutely round.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

randallb
Explorer
Explorer
stripit,
Truing a new tire will void any mileage warranty the tire company gives. The mileage warranty is based on tread depth and removing any tread will create an issue for the tire shop. The other reason for nobody truing ties is that the quality of todays tire does not warrant the expense of the equipment. I have not heard of any shop truing tires since the late 70's or early 80's and I was in the auto industry from 1970 to 2008.
Randy

stripit
Explorer
Explorer
I had it done to the new Michelin tires I purchased years ago for my truck. Changed the amount of weights needed to balance and really made a marked improvement to the feel driving down the road. I ended up finding a place in Florida to get it done. I don't understand why so many tire places have stopped doing this, it took about 20 minutes per tire, but I paid what they charged and felt I got my moneys worth. I wouldn't mind finding a used piece of equipment and having it for my own use and for friends. It does make the tire roll smooth and extends the life of the tire.
Stacey Frank
2016 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40AP
2019 Tesla Model X
2015 Cadillac SRX we Tow
1991 Avanti Convertible

wolfe10
Explorer
Explorer
When I was looking for a place to true tires, I called the equipment manufacturer and got the name of dealers in my area to whom they had sold the truing equipment:

Tire Truing Equip Amermac Ellaville, GA 800 841-8065.
Brett Wolfe
Ex: 2003 Alpine 38'FDDS
Ex: 1997 Safari 35'
Ex: 1993 Foretravel U240

Diesel RV Club:http://www.dieselrvclub.org/

journey_indiana
Explorer
Explorer
Check with Indy Tire on east 10th street in Indianapolis. If they don't do it, they should be able to help you find someplace that does.
Good Luck,
Journey Indiana

Texasfour
Explorer
Explorer
Read up on road force balancing. I Had it done and it worked Start with tire shop position tire on rim correctly yellow dot and red dot. Yellow is heavy spot on tire and should go to valve stem. then have road force balance and that will indicate your tire position on rim. It may take a few attempts as the tire may need to be rotated a few degrees around rim to position the tire in the right spot to the rim to allow it to be in balance....will still need some weights probably but will ride good.

Check the info on this link...also do a search for local tire shops that do it.

http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/infoRideMatch.dos