cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Approximate fuel milage of these 2 motorhomes?l

aswagerty14
Explorer
Explorer
We are choosing between 2 motorhomes and it is coming down to fuel mileage, does anyone know about how many mpg these 2 would get and would the difference be significant enough to make it the decision maker? Holiday rambler diesel 5.9 L or Fleetwood pacearrow gas Ford 460 both on 37 ft class a's. I know the diesel will get better fuel mileage but by how much? Thank you!
19 REPLIES 19

georgelesley
Explorer
Explorer
Floorplan is much more important than fuel mileage. If you or DW, especially DW, do not like the floorplan your fuel mileage will be unlimited since you will not use it for very long and it will just sit in your yard.

As posted above by others, in the final analysis, MPG is a minor consideration compared to other costs and if you like it well enough to actually use it. The 8 number is in the ballpark for most of them and towing a toad cuts ours by 1 MPG.
George 20 yr USAF & Lesley

Ranger_Smith
Explorer
Explorer
The difference in mileage will not be noticeable between the 2 of them. I'de go with the diesel and scrap the gasser. The ride of the diesel is nicer and it does not "scream" going up hills like the gasser will. Also with the engine in the front the gasser gets hotter in the cab and it is harder to talk to each other.
Where we are now

Amateur Radio Operator WW1SS . . . Flex 6500 PGXL and TGXL
Steve and Joy
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q . . . 2016 Lincoln MKX
The Doodles, Abbie & Abel
Baby and Kissie the Chihuahuas and Lucy the Biewere Yorkie

Trackrig
Explorer II
Explorer II
Are you really going to put enough miles on it to worry about fuel usage? We've owned our DP with a Cat C7 for about nine years and only put 40,000 miles on it. That averages out to 4,444 miles per year. At the most, one of them may doe 1 mpg better than the other, so what? Take the diesel.

Bill
Nodwell RN110 out moose hunting. 4-53 Detroit, Clark 5 spd, 40" wide tracks, 10:00x20 tires, 16,000# capacity, 22,000# weight. You know the mud is getting deep when it's coming in the doors.

supercub
Explorer
Explorer
Most Class A motorhomes, gas or diesel get +/-8 mpg..........I 've had a couple of each and that's about where all of them ended up.
I'd much rather have a diesel then a gas. Quieter ride, typically a smoother ride with air bags, and handle better too.

Old-Biscuit
Explorer II
Explorer II
Diesel/Gas MHs

Lot more high cost differences between them then MPG

8 MPG is lucky
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31