cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are class A resorts just as filled up as other RV parks?

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
I miss the days when I could hop in the rig, go any place, then open the big Good Sam book and pick a park without reservations. The wife and I are between rigs now, and I wondered if we got a class A can you depend on a spot at these resorts? I realize that everything requires reservations, but do these resorts generally have openings that regular parks don't? Just thinking less crowded etc.Thanks, Don
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.
23 REPLIES 23

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I was able to make reservations in NC with two stops in TN to get there!...... Yay!

Mark
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yeah right now all are freakishly busy. I just wave as I drive by the fancy ones because they don't let my low class in those parks! 🙂
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
I spent two weeks at the Mountain Falls RV Resort in Lake Toxaway, NC, at the end of August. No problem with reservations at that time. I certainly love that part of the country. The elevation in Lake Toxaway is good for summer travel as it's 3,100 ft. and Highlands, NC, just up the road is at 4,100 ft. so it can be low to mid 80's during the day and fall to low 60's at night.

I'm trying to get back for the Fall leaf-change and they are booked at the moment (on their website). I'll check again with a phone call as it gets closer. I, too, like the higher end resorts as a 'destination' point. And, this Resort is not bad at $103 a night for the regular site, the upper ridge area with the distance views are $130 which I did three weeks last year (one week in Aug, Sept and Oct.).

I stayed at a KOA on the way there and back in Crossville, TN. ($49 a night).

Personally, I have not found people at these 'Resort class-A only' parks to be snobs. I ride my bike through the parks for exercise and people wave/acknowledge as I pass by. They have no idea what coach I'm in.

I like the fact that these parks are gated and have security. I'll head west to California late Fall for the winter and hope that the RV parks are not full. I might have to make a Walmart stop which I've never done before.

In all the years passing through Denver, I have never been able to get a 'last minute' reservation. That place is always full! I've been able to find a place south or west of the city but not in town.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
it was hot in mesa last april, too. at our space the last week in april we has 100+ temps 4-straight days.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

msmith1199
Explorer II
Explorer II
rk911 wrote:
the resorts in AZ may be easier to get into this winter if the Canadians are prevented from comimg south this year.

We were just at a resort in Phoenix a couple of weeks ago as we were trading in our motorhome on a new one. Otherwise I would have never been in Phoenix in August. At the resort we stay at I got to talking to one of the employees. We were dying because it was 113 that day. He pointed out a couple of motorhomes from Alaska. He said they stayed for the summer since they weren’t sure if they went home for the summer than could get back through Canada. He said they were dying in the 115 and up temps.

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
doxiemom11 wrote:
55+ resorts/campgrounds would get you away from those things you don't like too.

Thank you. I didn't know there was such parks. Is there a special guide somewhere for them?
Retired Anesthetist. LTP. Pilot with mechanic/inspection ratings. Between rigs right now.. Wife and daughter. Four cats which we must obey.

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
55+ resorts/campgrounds would get you away from those things you don't like too.

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Yepper...sounds right... but few bears in SW
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
Jay58 wrote:
This is why I am setting up our motorhome for drycamping.
2k battery bank and 1400 24v solar feeding 2 3000w inverters.
Nature is the best camp site.
just on the news here in Smoky Mnts found bear eating remains of a man he was dry camping he turn into bear lunch.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
When your hobby is digital photography nature looks better. Just sayin....
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

irishtom29
Explorer
Explorer
Mankind and all its works are parts of nature. Fancy RV parks included.

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
This is why I am setting up our motorhome for drycamping.
2k battery bank and 1400 24v solar feeding 2 3000w inverters.
Nature is the best camp site.
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

crawford
Explorer
Explorer
rk911 wrote:
the resorts in AZ may be easier to get into this winter if the Canadians are prevented from comimg south this year.
I'm just wondering if true why the virus killed 5,000 there here close to 200,000 USA.
Change from a c class to a A class Georgetown 07 triple slide

T18skyguy
Explorer
Explorer
Bill.Satellite wrote:
Class A resorts are so expensive and filled with such RV snobs that I wonder why you would only be interested in staying at places like this.

I'll be honest with you Bill. It's not so much who I want to be with, but what I'm trying to get away from. I'm a down to earth guy, but I'm 68 now and getting tired of barking dogs, screaming kids, guys coming into the park with blaring headers, campfires with smoke covering our rig. I just want to go to a place where I know it's going to be a nice experience. I'm willing to spend more for that, but as some have pointed out, booking a site at these resorts might not be any easier to book than the state parks.