cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bathroom light fixture wire terminals

Munk888
Explorer
Explorer
Hi. First post! Very excited to be apart of the RV community. Loootttssss to learn. Quick-ish question: my wife wants to paint the stock bathroom light fixture on our 2003 Fleetwood Tioga. 2 screws remove the fixture from the wall. Easy pz. Then there are 3 sockets for the 1141 bulbs. At the tips of the wires are these were, almost musrhoom head looking wire terminals. Anyone know what they are called?
I'd like to pick up some. The job seems straight forward enough. Slice off the terminal tips, let the wife paint the fixture, then place wires through fixture and cap off by crimping on the mushroom head terminals. I haven't had any luck finding new ones.
Thanks all!
17 REPLIES 17

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Great! I am glad that we all could be of help to you and good luck in your mods and adventures,there are a lot of good folks here that have a vast knowledge of many things and are ready to help.

The Fleetwood products of that vintage are made very well and I hope that it will serve you without problems in the years to come,my 2006 Tioga has been trouble free and all of the appliances, refrigerator, stove top, oven, microwave, furnace, water heater, A/C,all original still work as new.

All doors, cabinets and drawers are tight and working as they should, the fit and finish is still very good. This is a Former Rental with more than 100000 miles on it.

Enjoy
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

Munk888
Explorer
Explorer
Wow! I must say, you all are so awesome! I've been a part of several forums and this one is by far the most helpful, considerate, and professional! I really look forward to troubleshooting issues and learning, then maybe one day, helping others.

I found a picture of the socket online:

I can order these up and simply do butt connectors:) OR, I think my wife may just paint the fixture itself hahah.

Thanks for all the kind help with LED, wire nuts, etc. Let the learning adventures begin!

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
Because of vibration, taping wire nuts in RV applications has always been the norm, recommended by all the appliance manufacturers.
In the non mobile world, taping is seen as a sign of poor workmanship, tape masking a poorly done joint.
-- Chris Bryant

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
should not need taping. Make sure you have the right size.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
A properly installed wire nut should need taping, but taping it cannot hurt, especially in an RV.
Not all wire nuts are created equal, I've seen some that wouldn't take much to fall off after being properly installed.
In my book Scotch-Lock is the best there is.
I've been an electrician for more than 30 years.

Dusty

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
You can buy those at Lowes

If you use wire nuts tape them.
-- Chris Bryant

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
The first thing you learn as an electrician is twist all of your wires together before using wire nuts.

Dusty_R
Explorer
Explorer
I agree with using wire nuts, but I do not agree with twisting the wires together first. Just be sure that all the ends of the wires are even with each other.

Dusty

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
Welcome to the Forum,it looks like you have got a lot of good answers to your questions so I will take this a bit sideways.

I have a Fleetwood Tioga too,and went to LED lights throughout the whole RV,ENERGY-EFFICIENT and cooler than the regular incandescent bulb.

I found that for the bathroom light These Lights worked out very well,they are natural light range so they don't give off that dull light or the blue light some do.

Have fun with all the mods on that rig.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Okay, now I get what connector you're talking about. Here is a link to Orvac's catalog with several different sizes. I'd still use a wire nut, it would be bigger than the crimp fitting but what the heck.

Thanks to rj for the URL.

I didn't compare prices but the specs for the connectors on ZORO is far better than on Orvac. Orvac is a store for the trades and customers usually know which size they want. I seldom know, so I bought a selection by visual assessment at the store when it was close to my home.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

rjniles
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.zoro.com/3m-closed-end-crimp-conn-clear-0850-pk50-s-31-a/i/G2645745/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwwIPrBRCJARIsAFlVT894dJnNfGBgvFYhhrF1itFr3CGlRnO04FoifFVZ1Z1jczh65hWJlmUaAqpiEALw_wcB
Low Country SC
2009 Keystone Passport 195RB
2014 F150 SCAB

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Twist the wires together with lineman's pliers and then use regular wire nuts the right size. Make sure the connections are tight.

A lot of lights come from overseas. No need to reproduce the original connections.

D_E_Bishop
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Munk, Welcome to the RV.Net Forums. You'll find a great amount of knowledge here and some very helpful members.

In my opinion you are as well off using wirenuts/twistlocks/merretts, what ever you want to call them, especially if you want to make a change sometime in the future.

I'm not sure exactly what the fitting you are referring to looks like but that's not unusual, there are so many crimp fitting today. If you are interested and get over toward Orange County, look up Orvac Electronics. They are at 1645 E. Orangethorpe Ave, phone # 714 871 1020, they have a huge display of crimp type fittings. They also have an online catalog. They have been slow to add stuff to the catalog but what your looking for may be there.

If you take a look at the forums by title you'll find a great help section Titled; Forum Posting Help and Support. Look in that for, RV.NET Tutorials and Picture related FAQs. I'd love to know what your talking about and a photo always helps.

Also, when asking for help with your water heater, don't just say "water heater", give the Brand Name, Model and if you know it the Year. There will be someone with the same year and model WH, Converter/charger, Leveling system and can help if they know make and model, they may have had the same problem you did and know a good solution.

In addition to help posting pictures, there is a whole section on doing searches, that's another good read. Some members will answer a question by referring you to the search engine, so you might as well learn about searches too.

So let us know what RV you have and fire away with the questions.
"I travel not to go anywhere, but to go. I travel for travel's sake. The great affair is to go". R. L. Stevenson

David Bishop
2002 Winnebago Adventurer 32V
2009 GMC Canyon
Roadmaster 5000
BrakeBuddy Classic II

cavie
Explorer
Explorer
just use the proper size wire nut. Tape it in place if you think it will help.
2011 Keystone Sprinter 323BHS. Retired Master Electrician. Retired Building Inspector.

All Motor Homes are RV's. All RV's are not Motor Homes.