cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries overcharging

BobDarlaCook
Explorer
Explorer
I do not plug in my MH when it's parked. I plug it in the night before we leave to chill the fridge. Most trips are just weekenders. I keep checking the batteries and they are overcharging/boiling over each trip just from the couple days of camping plus the genie running on the road. Besides trashing the battery cabinet, they won't hold a charge between trips. I have to start the engine to get power to start the genie. I had to replace the batteries several months ago when they exploded... before I realized I had this problem I wasn't checking the water level as often as this prolem would require and I suspect they went dry and had a total failure. I know I need to get it fixed .... is there a specific problem or am I looking at having the whole electrical system diagnosed to pinpoint it ?
Bob '62, Darla '63, DD '94, DS '00, DD '03, DD'07
20 REPLIES 20

BobDarlaCook
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. I have compounding problems... but I suspect the converter is fried. But for now the batteries are toast, won't register a charge on a meter. Tried testing the output of the converter and it's not working at all now. I suspect it went bad and was overchatrging the bateries. So for now I need to get the batteries tested and see if they can be saved and then get the converter looked at/replaced.

tony_lee
Explorer
Explorer
zman-az wrote:
I would guess that the boiling over is a sign that the batteries are at the end of their life. How old are the batteries. Have they ever been completely discharged. One bad battery or if the batteries are old can boil over. They are being overcharged becasue they can never get fully charged.

I had to replace the batteries several months ago when they exploded...
Tony
Lots of photos with comprehensive captions at MY PICASA Album
Spotwalla map of our travels - Our Travel map

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
to Scott,, alias FIRE UP:
thanks for the info. I am reading these posts w/ great care to try and drill this stuff into my head to remember for when we get our rv.,, when we get it. At this point in time it could be next month or it could be a yr from now,, or several yrs. We are taking care of my 90 yr old mother and can't really get going until she is either in the rest home or 6'under,, pardon the graphics,, but I am just being truthful. I have been with her and aching to get on the road for going on 6 yrs now so im using this time to educate myself as much as I can about all the ins and outs of caring for our rig. I keep telling my husband of just about a yr and a half that he needs to do the same but as yet he just reads about guns and ammo and politics and seems to think we have all the time in the world,, or else he's really good at 'cramming' at the last minute. I love the man but I just don't operate that way... ha! I have owned a couple of rvs in the past but always had a man to do the worrying for me as my first hubby was a superb mechanic who could fix anything (we had carbuerator trouble in Monument Valley of all places and so he took it apart and found a bit of paper in the line where the needle or some such thingy was) I could envision us having to get a tow truck out in the middle of the Navajo Res. to come rescue us...but anyway.... We are kinds on our own now and by the grace of God we will trudge on. On my (our) first rv,, was a 1978 19.5' open road w/ a chevy engine,, 350 i think,, there was no such thing as house batteries, or coach batteries,, just one on the engine and also we had a generator on that cute little rig. Many times i have wished for that rig back. It was perfect for short trips...or long ones,, just not full timing, which is what we hope to do. again thanks for any advice or info or just a heads up to anyone who posts here,, i love reading them!
Janet N Texas

Lobstah
Explorer
Explorer
FIRE UP wrote:
Well Bob,
Let's start out with, what kind of motor home do you have? What kind of and, how many house batteries and, engine do you have? You see, if your rig is a diesel, about 99.9% of them have inverters, NOT CONVERTERS, and, many of them are Inverter/Chargers so, you could be having an issue with that system. Now, if your coach is a gas unit, about 99.9% of them, come with Converters, not Inverters!

So, we need more info on your system before we can give an accurate assessment of a possible solution to your issues.
Scott
P.S. On edit, I didn't know the question has already been asked, sorry.
Scott

In either case, you have a problem with your charging circuit, and whether it's an inverter or a converter, it needs to be replaced.
That's probably what cooked your first set of batteries.

Jim
2005 Pace Arrow 36D
Very Understanding Wife
1 Boxer 😞
3 Maine Coon cats

gss036
Explorer
Explorer
I had trouble with my batteries when I bought my used coach, turned out the batteries were bad and would overheat/overcharge. Replace with new 6 volt type batteries, no problems after that. My suggestion is to make sure batteries are good.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
I would guess that the boiling over is a sign that the batteries are at the end of their life. How old are the batteries. Have they ever been completely discharged. One bad battery or if the batteries are old can boil over. They are being overcharged becasue they can never get fully charged.

You can pull the batteries out and charge them one at a time with a battery charger and if they still boil they are most likely bad. However I would check them with a acid battery tester first. Like this one

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
JanTx wrote:
so many things to learn and remember,, scares me to death!

JanTx,
Actually, learning about your coach is kind of fun. You simply start with the basics and go as deep into what you want to know as you want. For instance, The "house battery(ies)(if you have more than one)are what powers up about 98% of the inside of your coach. That is, just about everything with the exception of the TV, VCR-DVD player, and, the Microwave. Then, in order to power up those, you need 110VAC power. You'll get that power from one of three sourses. One, shore power, two, generator, or three, an "Inverter" that converts 12VDC battery power to, 110VAC power.

Now, this is where most people simply don't go any further in obtaining knowledge. If folks would simply take the time when they purchase a new coach, or new to them I should say, and learn about how their system works. That is, how are my 12V or, 6V golf cart batteries charged? How are my engine batteries charged? Do both the house and engine batteries charge together?

What you accomplish is, not only learning and knowing how your system(s) work but, also, a good possibility of how to analyze them, if something should be acting up or, not working at all. Most of this stuff is not all that hard on RVs to comprehend. All it takes is a little time and, sometimes some coaching for explanation in case you run up against a stumbling block.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

BobDarlaCook
Explorer
Explorer
MENA661 - Will do. Thanks.

mena661
Explorer
Explorer
BobDarlaCook wrote:
2008 Thor/Four Winds Hurricane. I don't have the inverter info with me, I can get that tonight. It is the factory equipment though if that helps.
Unless you or the previous owner installed one, your unit did not come with a inverter/charger combo unit. More than likely you have a CONVERTER (120V to 12V) unit installed and maybe an optional standalone inverter (12V to 120V with no charging portion). You'll need a voltmeter. If you don't have one, you can pick it up cheap at harbor freight. While your coach is plugged into shore power, disconnect your batteries main negative wire. Check the output of the converter. If it's working properly, it should be somewhere around 13.6V (can be a little higher or lower depending on the model of converter). If it's not, then your converter is shot. Replace it. Report back here with your results.

BarbaraOK
Explorer
Explorer
JanTx wrote:

It just takes some time. Nothing really hard about it, just a lot of reading to do.

Barb

Barb & Dave O'Keeffe - full-timing since 2006

Figment II

(2002 Alpine 36 MDDS) 🙂
2018 Ford C-Max HYBRID
[purple]FMCA - F337834, SKP #90761[/purple]
Our Blog

JanTx
Explorer
Explorer
Janet N Texas

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
stuplich wrote:
FIRE UP wrote:
Well Bob,
if your rig is a diesel, about 99.9% of them have inverters, NOT CONVERTERS, and, many of them are Inverter/Chargers so, you could be having an issue with that system. Now, if your coach is a gas unit, about 99.9% of them, come with Converters, not Inverters!

Fire Up

I beg to differ!
I think that MANY,(MOST?), diesel coaches have a CONVERTER in their INVERTER/3 stage battery CHARGER.

My Freedom 20 INVERTER/CHARGER is also a CONVERTER.

Here's a link to my Freedom 20 manual:
http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CDEQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.xantrex.com%2Fdocuments%2FDiscontinued-Products%2FFreedom%2520series%25201.pdf&ei=8vOcUbfsMKTgyQGc_IGoAQ&usg=AFQjCNEpd-ghhONSAiIWxw8_5R9taIWcXw&sig2=xpe7W9EKXVRXcr1u7EUnvQ&bvm=bv.46751780,d.aWM

See page 4, "Introduction".

Mel
'96 Safari

Mel,
Well Sir, you are correct in the fact that there IS a converter "inside" your INVERTER. While both of us are correct, my statement simply states that the primary mechanism for other than battery operation is, either a CONVERTER, usually supplied with a gas coach or an INVERTER, usually supplied with a diesel coach. Now, I don't work on these coaches day in and day out and, do not see or learn about what's new as todays coaches are sent out from the factory. My experience is from owning (4) motor homes to date. We've had (2) Class Cs, and (2) Class As. Both the class Cs and one of the As were gas units and for primary electrical operations inside the them, was a CONVERTER and NO INVERTER.

But for our present coach, an '04 Itasca Horizon, 36GD with the 330 CAT, it comes with a Dimensions 2000 Watt INVERTER/CHARGER. Now, I've read up on mine a few times and, while I can't recall, it might state in it's specs that it too has a "Converter" built into it. I'll check into that so I know before I state anything I might regret. Thanks
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

BobDarlaCook
Explorer
Explorer
Gas Engine, Ford's chassis, V-10 . Two house batteries, deep cycle (27's i think ?)