cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery wiring question

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
When hooking up batteries together (lithium) to make a bank of 2 - 12v and in a year 2 more with the goal of 20 in 2 years

What size welding wire would one use to reduce loss. Keeping in mind all same length
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)
9 REPLIES 9

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
Wire size in RVs is NO time to penny pinch.

See the WindyNation chart at: https://www.windynation.com/jzv/inf/choosing-right-wire-size
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Ok there is a point of diminishing returns but the general rule is the bigger the wire the lower the loss.

However.. if you are only drawing say 20 amps.. 2/0 (not 20 but 2/0) is overkill
if you are drawing 200 amps 2/0 is the smallest I'd recommend.

For battery to battery at least the same size as battery to RV.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

sehunter
Explorer
Explorer
If you go to the 2nd page of this "12v side of life" is what I used to make up my cables.

The 12volt side of life
Stan
2008 Bounder
38P, W24, 8.1L, 3 Slides
2019 tow dolly hydraulic brakes

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
Hi,

That may depend on the capacity of the battery management system. If it limits to 1C then there is little point in having thicker wire from the battery to the buss bar.
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
20? Connected to bus or just to each other?

Connected to each other I would use maybe one size smaller than the largest main cable.

Connected to a bus I would go smaller but large enough to handle max current from each battery.

Jay58
Explorer
Explorer
Yes really.
To each their own.

Ok

18inch each.

This is only to join the positive and negative terminal to create the battrry bank. 4/0 or 2/0 ?
2020 Jayco Precept 34G

Central Florida (East Coast)

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
20? Seriously? Are these tiny batteries?
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
Depends on wire length and peak current drawn.

Google wire gauge and find one of the calculators/tables online.