cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Pet for travel?

MagillaGorilla
Explorer
Explorer
I thought it might be fun to share some good and bad pet traveling stories.

We travel with a chocolate Lab. She could not be easier to travel with. She never barks never has "accidents" in the MH and she is happy inside or outside. In short she is simply a joy to have along with us. Her only travel flaw is that she gets up on the couch when we are away from the camper. We end up removing the cushions and that fixes the problem. At home she never gets on the furniture.

We had a bulldog that passed past year at 13 years old (that's super old for a bulldog.) We did not travel with her because she would have been a terrible travel companion. She would have forced her way under the drivers feet for sure. There was no keeping her from where she wanted to be. Also she loved to pee in new places. Not good.

While in my travels I have seen people travel with 6 full sized Dalmatians, Parrots, cats and lizards. I bet there are some stories there.
Magilla

2005 Holiday Rambler Admiral 37' Gasser
54 REPLIES 54

frankdamp
Explorer
Explorer
The best pets are Labrador Retrievers. Most make good travellers. We did two seasons in a 26' Class C followed by four years in a 32' Class A. Two Labs every time. Current pair are both rescues and rather elderly, but they were good companions when we had our bigger rig.

I think they miss the adventure, now that we don't have an RV any more.
Frank Damp, DW - Eileen, pet - female Labrador (10 yrs old), location Anacortes, WA, retired RVers (since Dec 2014)

sushidog
Explorer
Explorer
Here's who we travel with:

Her name is Skittles, a 2 yr. old sun conure.

This was my beloved Sunny, who I had for 28 yrs. She loved to camp in the forest as much as we do, possibly more.

Chip
1999 National Tropical
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis

SnoBear
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone remember the "Pet Rock"?

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer
Larry202br wrote:
RLS7201 wrote:
2 weeks ago, while at Melvern Lake, Melvern, Kansas, we saw a couple with 12 of the most obedient shelties I have ever seen. They were out for a walk, off leash, very close to the owners. All responded to commands. What a delight. They allowed the dogs to visit us one at a time and then return to the pack. If only teenage homosapiens were as well behaved.:D Make that any age. GRIN

Richard

I would love to have a sheltie like that! And no barking?

Yup, no barking. Me thimks the owners were smarter than the shelties.:W

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
mikestock wrote:
We were the recipients of a beautiful one year old cocker. The reason she was given to us was that she had anxiety issues and would howl constantly when left alone. I thought she would grow out of this but it never happened. She lived to be 13 and was a great pet in all other ways.

When we began camping with her she could not be left alone in the rv. Neighbors, camp hosts and rangers would leave ultimatums. We tried some sedative that the vet gave us and neighbors said she was quiet but she had diarrhea that almost made us give up camping. Finally had to leave her at home of make sure she was always with us, wherever we went.

After this experience, we finally lost her to cancer several years ago. We love dogs and often enjoy having a camping neighbor with a good natured, loving pet, but have been reluctant to commit to another dog since.

I think that can make it hard to try again. But, sometimes, the dog can work through it. I just attended a rally and got accused of switching out my dog. Bat-dog was a well-adjusted, friendly, easy-going dog the entire weekend. She'd approach people and let them pet her and rarely got scared. She was very relaxed throughout and really enjoyed herself. it's only taken 5 years to reach this point - I hope it sticks.
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
We were the recipients of a beautiful one year old cocker. The reason she was given to us was that she had anxiety issues and would howl constantly when left alone. I thought she would grow out of this but it never happened. She lived to be 13 and was a great pet in all other ways.

When we began camping with her she could not be left alone in the rv. Neighbors, camp hosts and rangers would leave ultimatums. We tried some sedative that the vet gave us and neighbors said she was quiet but she had diarrhea that almost made us give up camping. Finally had to leave her at home of make sure she was always with us, wherever we went.

After this experience, we finally lost her to cancer several years ago. We love dogs and often enjoy having a camping neighbor with a good natured, loving pet, but have been reluctant to commit to another dog since.

Larry202br
Explorer
Explorer
RLS7201 wrote:
2 weeks ago, while at Melvern Lake, Melvern, Kansas, we saw a couple with 12 of the most obedient shelties I have ever seen. They were out for a walk, off leash, very close to the owners. All responded to commands. What a delight. They allowed the dogs to visit us one at a time and then return to the pack. If only teenage homosapiens were as well behaved.:D Make that any age. GRIN

Richard

I would love to have a sheltie like that! And no barking?
2006 Open Road 316 RLDS-5
2004 F-250 Diesel, short bed, SRW, Crew cab, 3.73 auto.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
1968mooney wrote:
Have yet to own one but, I think a pet skunk would be ideal. Does not bark and you can put it on a leash outside, and no one will come violate your site. :B

I actually owned a pet skunk. She was paper trained and my wife loved that part. I would always lay the newspaper on the carpet and that upset the DW. When we got the skunk I didn't dare set the paper on the floor or it would get wet. They are a fun pet but are illegal in many states and will be confiscated in a few. People are afraid they carry rabies. They would have to be bit by a rabid animal to contract rabies and an indoor pet is not likely to get in contact with a rabid animal.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

RLS7201
Explorer
Explorer

Richard
95 Bounder 32H F53 460
2013 CRV Toad
2 Segways in Toad
First brake job
1941 Hudson

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
MagillaGorilla wrote:
We've been Class A RVing for 9 years now. Although we have owned dogs the entire time we never took them with us. We always had someone at home that could watch them. This year I decided I was taking the dog with us and it turns out to have been a great decision. RVing is better with her along. For starters it forces me to walk more often. The wife and I always walk when camping but now I do both, the dog walk and the wife walk. I also notice that I end up talking to more people when I have the dog.

I was lucky this year and did not have any rain when we were RVing. I don't imagine that a wet dog in a tiny house is much fun.

Exactly my experience with our two.

TropicalRV
Explorer
Explorer
One that's been to the taxidermist.
Paul
2015 Tiffin Allegro 32SA, Ford V-10
2002 Honda CRV 2WD

dcbrewer
Explorer
Explorer
Executive wrote:

now that's about ugly!!

the_silverback
Explorer
Explorer
a sheltie. Mine has 60,000 miles on him.
the silverback
2015 crossroads Rushmore 5th wheel

eabc5454
Explorer
Explorer
We travel with two dachshunds, one Dalmatian and our baby Boston terrier. Not all at the same time, though. Usually two is our max. We have live in help that takes care of the other two that stay home. All four travel well, and enjoy camping. The two left behind howl piteously until we've driven out of earshot. We have another dachshund who prefers no travel, ever, so she stays home. We will lose one of the dachshunds soon, though. She has end-stage congestive heart failure. We keep upping her meds, but soon it won't be enough. Poor girl was seven when we adopted her from the animal shelter. She will be lucky to see twelve this spring.
2014 Thor Motor Coach ACE 30.1 (The Mothership)
2013 Honda CR-V (The Pod)