cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best Tow dinghy

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We have a Class A Journey and currently tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 wheels on the ground. We are considering changing tow dinghy's to an SUV. Any suggestions as to the best car to purchase that will be simple to tow.
Thanks
51 REPLIES 51

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
ginagary wrote:
We just purchased a 2015 Jeep Cherokee to tow and had the jumper wire harness and switch installed to ensure the EPS will function when being towed. It states that it is highly
Recommended that a battery charger/maintainer is used while the vehicle is in tow mode to prevent complete battery drain . Is there a way to power off the RV while we are towing to maintain the charge on our jeep?
Thanks

OP: Thanks for returning and letting us know what you bought. I think you'll really enjoy the Jeep Cherokee.

Hope someone can chime in for your question.... You might post this separate question on the Dinghy Forum.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
ginagary wrote:
We have a Class A Journey and currently tow a Jeep Wrangler 4 wheels on the ground. We are considering changing tow dinghy's to an SUV. Any suggestions as to the best car to purchase that will be simple to tow.
Thanks

Are not the unlimited (4 door) JK wranglers, SUV's?
Whatever the case, how about a Jeep Cherokee, so that you'll still have 4 wheel drive and do know one who just bought a Trailhawk. Just make sure you get one with the right transmission for this.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

ginagary
Explorer
Explorer
We just purchased a 2015 Jeep Cherokee to tow and had the jumper wire harness and switch installed to ensure the EPS will function when being towed. It states that it is highly
Recommended that a battery charger/maintainer is used while the vehicle is in tow mode to prevent complete battery drain . Is there a way to power off the RV while we are towing to maintain the charge on our jeep?
Thanks

Dennis4809
Explorer
Explorer
Tgator1 wrote:
We looked at a new 2016 Chevy Malibu a few days ago. The 2015 Malibu could be towed 4 down, but salesman didn't know if the new one could. I haven't checked yet. I like the updated look inside and out, and the large trunk.

Just check the owners manual. Suitability may vary depending on how equipped. Avoid electric power steering.

Here's a note I read today regarding Jeep and their electric PS. A friend has exactly the same issue with his 4 cyl Equinox which also has electric PS. 6 cyl Equinox has hyd PS.

Thanks to FMCA and Family Motor Coaching Magazine for their support.

Today, Fiat Chrysler Automotive made an announcement:

Fiat Chrysler Automobiles US LLC (FCA) has announced plans for resolving a problem that sometimes occurs when 2014-16 Jeep Cherokees are towed four wheels down behind a motorhome.

FCA released a statement in response to inquiries by Family Motor Coaching magazine and concerns of a number of Jeep owners who reported problems when flat towing their Cherokees. The owners reported that the vehicle sometimes wobbles significantly, raising safety concerns. The wobble reportedly has occurred at slow speeds and at highway speeds, and has happened with a variety of motorhomes and towing systems. The only way to stop the wobble, owners have said, is to bring the vehicle to a complete stop.

The FCA statement said: โ€œUnder certain operating conditions, such as traveling excessively bumpy or poorly maintained roads, the flat-towed vehicle may not consistently track in line with the tow vehicle.โ€ The cause, according to the statement: โ€œThe vehicleโ€™s Electronic Power Steering (EPS) system is inactive while the vehicle is being flat-towed with the ignition in the โ€˜offโ€™ position. Accordingly, the vehicle does not benefit from the systemโ€™s function.โ€

A Jeep official said the company knows of several dozen Cherokee owners who have experienced the problem. For those owners, FCA will โ€œprovide a complimentary jumper wire harness and switch to ensure the vehicleโ€™s EPS system has power to function while it is being flat-towed. These components have been engineered and validated by FCA US LLC and will be made available to all customers through MOPAR, as early as January 29. In addition, all Cherokee owners will be contacted directly by FCA US and provided with updated instructions for flat-towing. These instructions supersede all previous instructions. Also, the vehicleโ€™s online owners manual will be updated.โ€
Family Motor Coaching brought the problem to the attention of Fiat Chrysler in September 2015 after an FMCA member contacted the magazine and provided a link to a video showing a Cherokee wobbling as it was being towed behind a motorhome. FCA assigned engineers and technicians to investigate and resolve the problem.

For more information, Cherokee owners can call the Jeep Customer Assistance Center at(877) 426-5337.
2006 41' Gulf Stream Friendship 7
Cat C7, Allison 3060
Honda VTX on CruzerLift
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2014 Equinox LTZ V6 AWD

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
If I could have the ideal tow vehicle, I'd probably go with a Jeep Wangler:

1: You know it will tow four-down. No questions.
2: It has a superb clearance.
3: It can go almost anywhere. Never know when you may need that capability.
4: With a hard top, and a strongbox, it provides secure storage.
5: MPG isn't great... but it isn't bad.
6: Easily fixed, no matter where you are.
7: Plenty of accessories.

Of course, everyone has their own preference, but there is something nice and simple about getting a Jeep in use as a toad.

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Funny you bring that up...Yep I had no choice but to catch a road a gator in Va last year....I had no choice as I was boxed in...nothing I could do and I said hold on..went under motorhome caught mud flap and it bent it ever so slightly but then went under the toad...If I had a lower car, it could have been big trouble.
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
One thing that I feel is important is the ground clearance of the tow vehicle.

Obviously, SUV's ride higher than a regular sedan. The reason I feel that this is important is to avoid road debris. Over the last 9 yrs.. of RVing, I've had to dodge, straddle, or run over things in the road.

4-5 yrs. ago, I was driving along the interstate and I noticed in the distance a vehicle swerve from the 'slow' lane into the emergency lane. I thought that there must be a reason so as I got closer, I could see an aluminum ladder on the road. So, I swerved too into the emergency lane to get around it.

If I had to roll over it, I know the motorhome would have cleared it and I think the Honda would have cleared it too because of the ride height. A low-slung car most likely would not have.

Also, a big RV can't react to swerving quickly and we sometimes have no choice but to run over whatever is in the road (gator, etc.). If I have to straddle that 'item' in the road, I don't want it to get caught under the tow vehicle.

So, my tow vehicle will always be some type of SUV. And, it will have AWD/4 wheel drive.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

Tgator1
Explorer
Explorer
We looked at a new 2016 Chevy Malibu a few days ago. The 2015 Malibu could be towed 4 down, but salesman didn't know if the new one could. I haven't checked yet. I like the updated look inside and out, and the large trunk.
Tgator1
2016 Coachmen Mirada 35BH

howdy35
Explorer II
Explorer II
As "Mr. Mark" said any CRV 2014 or older is towable 4 down and an Odyssey 2005 or older is towable. I'm sure there are many other choices you can make that are very good. Just make sure they fit your needs as far as being "towable" and what you want to do with the toad when you are not towing it.
1999 National Tradewinds 7370
2014 Honda CR-V--Toad
Fulltime

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
bullydogs1 wrote:
I swear by my 2007 Saturn Vue....easy to tow, I don't pull a fuse, and the only issue I ever had with it is the AC compressor replaced once..Otherwise drivetrain comes from Honda...I also have a Sonic as my daily driver and that is flat towable in case I have to fit it up.
I've even seen people towing a VW microbus and and an old beetle...How the blazes did MM fall for the OLDS Diesel?...those things were basically coffee percolators...

I wish GM would have kept their Saturn line.....good cars (lady friend had two Saturn sedans that worked well for her).

I can tell you why I fell for the '81 Olds diesel.... youth. I was starting out in the Real Estate business at 23 yrs. old and wanted a nice four door car to take clients around. I was not very savvy with engines and thought a diesel would give me good fuel mileage, etc., which it actually did.

Wow, what a disaster! It lasted until about 48,000 miles at 3 yrs. old and died (a lot of trouble in between). GM did share in an engine repair but I traded it for a new '84 Peugeot 505 GTI... loved that car!

I know GM makes many good cars, I just couldn't give them anymore of my money as they really dropped the ball and left a lot of us diesel owner's holding the bag.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

NeverHome2
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2015 F-150 4x4. Tows great, don't even know its there even with our HD Triglyde in the bed. So simple to put the transfer case in neutral. The manual tells you exactly how to tow 4 down. Love it.
Lovin' Life!!!!

2005 HR Endeavor

Blaster_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Honda CRV, 2014 or earlier.
2014 American Eagle

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
I swear by my 2007 Saturn Vue....easy to tow, I don't pull a fuse, and the only issue I ever had with it is the AC compressor replaced once..Otherwise drivetrain comes from Honda...I also have a Sonic as my daily driver and that is flat towable in case I have to fit it up.
I've even seen people towing a VW microbus and and an old beetle...How the blazes did MM fall for the OLDS Diesel?...those things were basically coffee percolators...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
Keep in mind for the new Jeep Cherokee that only the Trailhawk V6 FWD is flat towable.

We have friends towing the Trailhawk and the Equinox without any 'wobble'. They both love their vehicles.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel