cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Way To Protect Toad

Kaz
Explorer
Explorer
We recently purchased a new toad to pull behind our motor home. The last one we had, which we towed without anything to protect it from rocks and dirt, got pretty dinged up, as you'd expect. I'm researching how best to prevent that from happening again. The options seem to be:
  • An extended mud guard;
  • The Blue Ox KarGard or something similar (like the Protect-A-Tow);
  • Something like the Roadmaster Guardian;
  • A "bra" for the front of the vehicle;
  • Something like the "film" products placed on new cars for transport;
  • And a variety of jury-rigged systems (like using bungee cords to hold camping mats to the front of the toad).

I'm sure there are other options I'm missing.

We'd like something that's effective (the threshold consideration) and relatively easy to use. (Although I'm aware of the inverse relationship between those two considerations.) I've found several threads on the topic but they are older and don't seem to cover the full gamut of possibilities. We're using a Blue Ox tow bar, if that matters. Anyway, we'd appreciate hearing your experience with various options.

Thanks,
Skip
Skip
K4EAK
2013 Thor ACE 30.1
13 REPLIES 13

johnsonbert
Explorer
Explorer
We are towing a Challenger part time and using the Roadmaster Tow Defender for that, like the PAT. I modified things so that it runs under the towbar like the PAT and catches the car at the middle of the spoiler exposing no grill or paint. It has worked out well for us. I have never had a clean toad after riding in a rainstorm, no matter what I was using for a shield. Hope this may help, Happy Trails bert
2006 Monaco Dynasty Diamond IV 42' Tag, ISL 400,(new to us), Residential Refrig, 10KW Onan, Bosch Washer/220V Dryer (previously 2003 American Tradition 40W) 2010 Chev Malibu LT

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
Thunder Mountain wrote:
jojolou wrote:
Another vote for the Protect A Tow, it works!

Works great as long as you have a side exhaust. Used one for years until we bought our Winnebago back exhaust. Didn't work. Melted the sucker.

I've seen a couple of PAT's now on rear exhaust diesels. Both had some sort of metal heat shield attached in the exhaust area, possibly just aluminum flashing. Both DP's were in motion at the time, so I couldn't get more details. A call to PAT in Canada might get some suggestions though.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We full-timed 8 years in our motorhome with only mud flaps behind the tires - no full rear flap. We traveled constantly, boondocked a lot on gravel roads and spent the summer in Alaska. We had absolutely no damage to our Jeep from towing.

We were in Whitehorse in the Yukon and a couple RVers were removing their full rear stiff flap. They showed us a layer of 1/2" rocks laying at the base of their windshield on their cars. We had just traveled the same construction area with no damage.

Since then others have mentioned that the full flap is worthless.

Later while coming through Salt Lake City in a heavy rainstorm I made it a point to watch opposing traffic and motorhomes. Those with the full flap had an arc spray of water aimed high at their hoods. Those without the full flap had the water at tire level. That convinced us.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

Thunder_Mountai
Explorer II
Explorer II
jojolou wrote:

Works great as long as you have a side exhaust. Used one for years until we bought our Winnebago back exhaust. Didn't work. Melted the sucker.
2016 Winnebago Journey 40R
2018 Rubicon
1982 FJ40 Toyota Land Cruiser
2020 Keystone Outback 327CG
2020 Dodge Ram 2500
Polaris RZR XP 1000
4 Cats
3 Dogs
1 Bottle of Jack Daniels
Two old hippies still trying to find ourselves!

missnmountains
Explorer
Explorer
We really messed our Jeep up this last trip to Alaska without any protection and our new motorhome. It has been repainted, new lights, new fenders, new bumper, new mirror, etc. We just purchased the Blue Ox Kargard and are using it the first time on this trip. It seems to be working fine, but it adds a little bit of additional time disconnecting and reconnecting.

Ken
2016 Newmar Dutch Star 4369

Our Blog: Lawrence Adventures

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 Dodge Dakota truck that I have been towing since 2006. I have stock mud flaps on my motorhome. I have zero damage on the front of the truck from anything kicked up by the motorhome, at least none that I've ever seen. The only problem I have is in the rain the truck will get completely covered in mud and/or dirt, but I'm not sure any of the rock guard things even stop that do they?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
As I recall the Kieva's made a plywood `bra' to protect their toad during a trip to Alaska. Don't remember how they attached it but it would certainly be better than a vinyl bra.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

jojolou
Explorer
Explorer
Lou
2008 Allegro Bay 35 TSB W-25.5

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
I just use the stock mud flaps that came on my Winnebago. I've never had any problems with dings out of the ordinary!

dtucker3usa
Explorer
Explorer
We use the Roadmaster Guardian and it has worked out really well. Easy to set up and remove and it protects the toad really well.

ferndaleflyer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Feather light enclosed trailer.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We've used a Protect-A-Tow for toad protection since 2008 and have been very pleased with it. The PAT not only protects our toad, it also protects the tow bar and attached cables from road debris. It only takes a minute or less to hook up.

Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

big_jim_2
Explorer
Explorer
When we had a Wrangler I made a bracket and attachment for a simple piece of plywood to keep the rocks from hitting the vehicle on out trip to Alaska. Worked perfect no damage to tow but had to have my motorhome rear as the rocks bounced off and hit the motorhome. After I purchased a protect a tow that really kept my tow clean and no damage would not hesitate to recommend it to anyone.