cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bike rack lights dont work when towing TOAD

BeaverCamper
Explorer
Explorer
When towing my Jeep with my Class C all light (brake, etc.) work fine.
I mounted some LED lights on my bike rack. When I plug it into my 4 pin OEM plug on the back of the Jeep and use it with just the Jeep, it works great. Once I plug my Jeep into my Class C the Jeep lights all still work correctly but the bike rack lights do not operate.
My guess is when plugged into the Class C the normal path for the power to the Jeep brake lights is diverted to match the RV thus no power to the OEM 4 pin tow plug on the Jeep. Do I need to have the OEM 4 pin plug wires spiced into the same RV circuit or is there another answer?
Thanks!
BeaverCamper (2019 Coachmen Leprechaun 260 DS)
5 REPLIES 5

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
The jeep has a separate module to run the trailer electric from the lighting module for the jeep lighting. You need to run a separate wire from the your coach to a second trailer connector on the back of the jeep. DO NOT connect the trailer plug on the jeep to the wiring for the tail lights on the jeep. You will scramble the jeep modules if you tie them together.
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Run a separate line to the bike rack.

phil-t
Explorer
Explorer
Pretty normal configuration is the toad lights are fed from the motorhome with diodes in the toad's light wiring to prevent the coach backfeeding the toad wiring system. In such a case your toad trailer conector won't be energized by the motorhome.
2014 Allegro 36LA

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
If Jeep has diodes in taillights to prevent back-feeding into it's system, the trailer connector is not getting fed.

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Based on what you're saying it seems that the jeep side of the plug for the class C is not feeding the same wires as the Jeep itself if that makes sense. How is the Class C wired to the Jeep? Is there a box on the Jeep that the class C feeds into?

Once at the Jeep are there separate wires from the class C all the way back to the taillights? Or are the Class C wires terminated under the dash by the brake pedal?

Another thought. Maybe your Class C is miswired and is actually feeding the Jeep taillights and not the Jeep brake lights. Take a Jeep taillight lens off and check that the same filament lights when you have brakes on the class C and Jeep and bike rack alone.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup