cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building and installing a slideout in a Class A Motorhome

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
I realize discussions here are mostly among end users, not actual manufacturers, but I was wondering if anyone here has information or maybe a helpful link describing typical construction method/materials and operator/slide/lock design for a modern RV slideout room extension?

I have done some substantial work to my motorhome over the last few years and have been planning some additional projects. Possibly even including a slideout for our very small bedroom area, and full paint.

Our current MH is a 2004 R-Vision Trail Lite that did not have a slideout from the factory. I am more than qualified to make this happen and also have a modern shop and tools available for this. I am interested in finding information such as profile, size, thickness, and O.C. spacing of aluminum square tube framing members... etc etc
Prevost XL40 Country Coach Conversion
22 REPLIES 22

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
Still researching things. Looking for ideas to steal and maybe improve upon. For me, the materials and time to do it are substantially less than the hit I could take by selling my (already completely paid for, no loan) motorhome and getting another with a slide. I have owned coaches with slides before and most did have much room for improvement. We paid a lot of money for a diesel pusher with 4 slides once. We had some issues with slide alignment, weatherstripping letting bugs and weather in, etc. There was definitely some room to make it a better working feature.

I can agree that a half assed attempt at cutting a hole in the side of a coach will prevent future buyers from coming around, but if custom features kill resale then my goose is already cooked here. On this current MH I have already redone bedroom suite with a matching entertainment center, a larger bed and storage, relocated water tank, outside entertainment, new carpet and laminated flooring, and some others. I will post some pics on a new thread as soon as I get a chance.

Although I would readily drive this one cross country any time. This one is a little MH that is to just facilitate small trips for us. We just miss a few of the features of the larger MH's we have owned.

Thanks to all. If I decide to tackle it, hopefully sometime I will report back here with a build thread.

RedJeep
Explorer
Explorer
No advice from me other than Go for it! I would love to see pics before, during and after. Keep us posted.
2008 Georgetown DS350 Class A
Wife, kids, dog and cat

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
MrWizard wrote:
The first slide out ever done was a "one off" custom, until proven feasible, the OP might be just as capable engineer as the first guy was

Before slide outs, some tt's had "tip outs" to expand room in them

The OP also has the ability to avoid what did not work with the previous slide systems. I have not had any trouble with my slide but I am sure that things could be improved, especially if the slide mechanism was designed from a functionality standpoint and not a cost restrictive method, as used by most manufacturers.
If you read these forums very often, you will hear about many many systems that could use improvement.

MrWizard
The first slide out ever done was a "one off" custom, until proven feasible, the OP might be just as capable engineer as the first guy was

Before slide outs, some tt's had "tip outs" to expand room in them

Every time somebody mentions a making a major mod
Usually residential fridge
Somebody has to post "your going to hurt the resale value"

Maybe I'm in the minority, but when I buy something for Me
Resale does not come into the thought process
When I change something to suit Me, resale does not come into the process

When the only thought some one has is, that's going to spoil resale
I wonder if they run their whole life and everything they possess , as if it was an investment business

I used to have an electronics business..But that was new Bullitt from scratch custom amplifiers
I also had a sideline hobby, restoring and selling mopeds
Resale value..did figure into that.

I'm not trying to deliberately insult anybody here
But I do hope it invokes a little self inspection in some of our members
Everything is not about money
Most of the time it's about satisfaction in a job well done and a happier traveling experience
I can explain it to you.
But I Can Not understand it for you !

Connected using T-Mobile Home internet and Visible Phone service
1997 F53 Bounder 36s

BobR
Explorer
Explorer
You will kill the resale of the coach. Most people will not be interested in a one off modification done by an individual.

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
MRUSA wrote:
Slideouts are very trouble-prone when factory installed. -I can't imagine avoiding trouble with an add-on.

Where do you come up with this idea? Slides have been in production units since 1990 when Newmar started with them. I have not seen many people with slide problems on this forum.
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
dougrainer wrote:
http://buses101.com/slide_outs.htm

This is the company that adds slide outs. They are EXPERTS and charge $2400 PER FOOT. On sale now for $1400 PER FOOT. It is never cost feasible to add a slide out on a RV that costs less than $100k. Doug
not impressed with the exposed rails on the ends of slide

Deano56
Explorer
Explorer
calling someone insane for building something they want too tackle is pure foolishness, if someone wants to do something, who are we to discourage them unless it is harmful to themselves or others. Here is a link to a "insane" person. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWd7uqTcEAQ

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.morrisonsvipcoach.com/photos.html
The link above is a company that installs slide outs in any RV. They have some good construction pictures on their website. I almost did this myself on a 1993 Navigator I owned but traded instead. If you have the shop and tools there is no reason that it cannot be done.

MRUSA
Explorer
Explorer
I think it is insane to do this. Better to sell the rig and buy one with multiple slides.

Slideouts are very trouble-prone when factory installed. I can't imagine avoiding trouble with an add-on.
Marc, Wellington FL
2013 Entegra Anthem 44SL
2018 Lincoln MKX toad
EEZ-RV tire pressure monitor

Class_A_DP_1
Explorer
Explorer
heehee that's quite a sale.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
http://buses101.com/slide_outs.htm

This is the company that adds slide outs. They are EXPERTS and charge $2400 PER FOOT. On sale now for $1400 PER FOOT. It is never cost feasible to add a slide out on a RV that costs less than $100k. Doug

Popsie
Explorer
Explorer
We visited the shop of a man who took commercial buses (think greyhound), stripped them down, and remade them into high-end multi-million dollar custom RVs.

He retired some years ago, but I'm sure there are others doing similar business. You might try searching in the custom bus realm for info.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
Years ago there was a Company in Arizona that added slide outs to RV's. Do a Google search and see if they are still in business and contac them. From a practical point, yes, you may THINK you are qualified to add a slide out, but the things that are IN a RV with a slideout are built internally. They add extra support header beams (steel/aluminum/wood) IN the top of the wall and on the sides to help support the Slide out when extended and STOP the slide out when extending without bending the existing wall structure. Your RV without slides will NOT have that reinforcement. THAT is the critical part of adding a slide room. Also, you probably have wires(120 and 12 volt) in the wall you want to cut out. You will have to add recessed floor rollers on the main floor to support and let your new room glide on. THIS is what the LCI Scwintek system uses. The LCI mechanism just moves the room in and out. The WEIGHT of the slide room is supported on those recessed rollers. There is NO weight applied to the LCI mechanism. You can probably do the job, but the framing of the existing wall and weakening of it after cutting the hole would be your biggest concern. The exact perfect rectangular cut of the wall hole and the exact perfect dimensions of your built room is critical for operation and sealing of the room in and out. Doug