cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bulb for door entrance handle??

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Anyone know where or if the outside handle next to door entrance has a bulb to replace? My handle no longer lights up with porch light on. Do I need to remove the handle from the outside? Thought I might be able to see a bulb from the inside, but no luck that I have found yet.

Thanks
2005 Damon Astoria 3679
300 Cummins ISB 5.9, Allison auto 5 speed

Life is to short not to have a good time and enjoy!!!
10 REPLIES 10

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
The answer to that (Top or bottom) depends on the RV, I think mine is in the bottom, and the Fleetwood I rebuilt the handle light on across the road is in the top.

But you simply remove both, the end with wires is the end with the lamp.
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

booty51
Explorer
Explorer
Was the bulb in the top or bottom bracket of handle?

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, thanks again. I ended up replacing the LED with the same size and color. I actually had a blue one in there (clear but burns blue) and the wife wanted the blue back in. Now that you mention it, wish I would have put the larger Blue LED in there, I saw those at Radio Shack, but will do that next time when this LED burns.. LOL.. Well, maybe. I bought 2 replacement LED's this time. I reinstalled the original 150 ohm to let it burn as bright as it could even though I have a 6 pack of 460 ohm as well. ๐Ÿ™‚

Thanks again for the help. All fixed and pretty blue handle again..:B
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
On mine I found the factory LED had a 150 ohm series resistor partnered with it.

I got the highest current rated LED radio shack sold (Also the brightest) and did the math.. I think it came out to 450 ohms as the proper value for it.

So the reason it does not last long is that they designed it to burn hot and fast, not to last.

Oh, and you can get em in colors too, RED, Green, Yellow (looks golden) and white are all common colors.

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
wa8yxm wrote:
There are two different light systems in those handles,

One is a replacable light, the other a hard wired LED,, More on that later

In both cases they are in one of the end brackets, Which one depends on who assembled and wired your rig, Remove a bracket and see if you got lucky.

Now the replacable one... You can get a lamp at either an auto parts store or Radio Shack depending on the lamp.

IF you have the LED type...

LED's should last longer than the rest of the motor home, BUT in order to make it brighter they used a series resistor that is several sizes too small.

Go to Radio Shack

Get a JUMBO, HIGH BRIHTNESS, LED of the color you wish (yes you get a choice)

Get a 450 Ohm resistor (NOTE, 450-500 is fine, You have some wiggle room)

Remove the LED and Reflector assembly

NOTE if the leads on the thing can be easily reversed (Some can, Some can't)

IF they can be easily reversed (The wires that connect to the RV)

Unsolder the existing resistor and LED,
SOlder in the new resistor and LED

Drill the hole in the reflector out so the LED will fit, re-assemble and connect, TEST, if it works, GOOD, if not reverse and try again, Should work now.

Re-assemble handle,, And enjoy

I've done two of 'em so far. (2 different RVs)

wa8yxm, thanks for the help. I finally got time to pull the handle off and mine is the LED type. Got power at the wires on the small PCB, so I'm off to Radio Shack to get an LED & resistor. Looks like I have room to unsolder the existing and replace. I know LED's are supposed to last a long time, but this little dude is not. Thanks again for the help.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

gsf35099
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks gang this helped. I will check when we get home this week.
2005 Damon Astoria 3679

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
There are two different light systems in those handles,

One is a replacable light, the other a hard wired LED,, More on that later

In both cases they are in one of the end brackets, Which one depends on who assembled and wired your rig, Remove a bracket and see if you got lucky.

Now the replacable one... You can get a lamp at either an auto parts store or Radio Shack depending on the lamp.

IF you have the LED type...

LED's should last longer than the rest of the motor home, BUT in order to make it brighter they used a series resistor that is several sizes too small.

Go to Radio Shack

Get a JUMBO, HIGH BRIHTNESS, LED of the color you wish (yes you get a choice)

Get a 450 Ohm resistor (NOTE, 450-500 is fine, You have some wiggle room)

Remove the LED and Reflector assembly

NOTE if the leads on the thing can be easily reversed (Some can, Some can't)

IF they can be easily reversed (The wires that connect to the RV)

Unsolder the existing resistor and LED,
SOlder in the new resistor and LED

Drill the hole in the reflector out so the LED will fit, re-assemble and connect, TEST, if it works, GOOD, if not reverse and try again, Should work now.

Re-assemble handle,, And enjoy

I've done two of 'em so far. (2 different RVs)

UsualSuspect
Explorer
Explorer
Fleetwood sells them on their site. CLICKY
2007 Fleetwood Excursion 40E Cat C7 350 HP
2007 Chev 2500HD D/A Long bed CC (Yes, it is my TOAD :B)
2011 Toyota Tundra
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara (Backup towed)
Gone but not forgotten, 2008 Jayco 299 RLS

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
Tiffin sells them in the camp store/parts department in Red Bay. That's where we got our extra one, which I just looked at. It is a "carrier" with a small circuit board and reflector for a single white LED. The total size is 3/4" dia. and 7/8" in length, connected to 24" black and white leads with a bayonet connector at about 5" on each lead. There is no manufacturer name on the part. You might try contacting Factory RV Surplus in Elkhart IN to see if they have them. They do a great deal of mail order parts and had the complete lighted grab handles in August.
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Johno02
Explorer
Explorer
The bulb is in one end of the handle, and I have seen them for sale at a few places. I don't know if there is one in each end, or just in one end, as I can't get the mounting screws out of mine. Two have twisted off, and I am leaving the rest alone for now.
Noel and Betty Johnson (and Harry)

2005 GulfStream Ultra Supreme, 1 Old grouch, 1 wonderful wife, and two silly poodles.