cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying from private party in California

Snomas
Explorer
Explorer
If I buy a MH from a private party in California and drive it to my home in Arizona, do I have to pay CA sales tax?
Of course I would have the title papers and bill of sale to provide proof of owndership.
2006 WINNEBAGO ASPECT 29H Ford E450 Super Duty
2018 F150 Lariat Crew Cab, Coyote 5.0 L RWD
14 REPLIES 14

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
The AZ and CA reciprocity is with work wages, not DVM.
Withholding Exemption Certificate, WEM . ?

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
So you're saying that if I buy a car from a CA dealer, and I live in another state and will register it in that state, I pay CA sales tax as well as tax in my home state??
Yes if you take delivery in CA.
Dealer would have to ship the vehicle out of CA to avoid CA sales tax.
Usually your home state will give credit for out of state sales tax when you register.

OK, I thought they were a reciprocal state. Thanks for confirming.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

Community Alumni
Not applicable
time2roll wrote:
A1ARealtorRick wrote:
So you're saying that if I buy a car from a CA dealer, and I live in another state and will register it in that state, I pay CA sales tax as well as tax in my home state??
Usually your home state will give credit for out of state sales tax when you register.

You don't pay sales tax twice, but you may have to pay registration twice if you decide to register the vehicle in your name in CA just to drive it home. As stated before, don't overthink this too much since it's a private party sale. Register the vehicle and pay the sales tax in AZ when you get home.

As someone else stated, if you purchase a new vehicle in CA and don't want to register it in CA or pay the CA sales tax, you must take delivery outside the state. When I purchased my new moho in CA, the dealer hired a driver (the wife and I were passengers) to drive the moho to the AZ stateline, where we were met by notary public arranged by the dealer that notarized documents showing we took possession of the moho outside CA.

In another CA purchase, I bought a new utility trailer in CA but I had to pay the CA sales tax since I took possession of it in CA. When I registered it in AZ I did not have to pay sales tax again since the tax was paid in CA.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
A1ARealtorRick wrote:

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
opnspaces wrote:
Don't overthink it. If private party, buy the vehicle and drive it back to AZ and register it and pay any AZ fees. California collects sales tax at the time if registering. Since you're not registering in CA don't worry about it.

Even if you get a speeding ticket driving through California to get home the courts are not going to be asking anything like "Did you pay the California sales tax on this vehicle?"

Again, buy the vehicle, drive home and register it.

As far as buying form a dealer, that's a different story as the dealer has a license to worry about so you're going to be paying the tax.

. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

jdc1
Explorer II
Explorer II
The answer is NO. Just wait until you get back to Arizona. I've done it twice in the last three years. Once for my daughter. Once for my grand daughter.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Sold and delivered in CA may technically owe CA sales tax. Best to write into the bill of sale that this RV was delivered to AZ where the sale was completed. Both sign.

Otherwise just drive it to AZ and get it registered asap.

Best to verify with CA DMV.

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Don't overthink it. If private party, buy the vehicle and drive it back to AZ and register it and pay any AZ fees. California collects sales tax at the time if registering. Since you're not registering in CA don't worry about it.

Even if you get a speeding ticket driving through California to get home the courts are not going to be asking anything like "Did you pay the California sales tax on this vehicle?"

Again, buy the vehicle, drive home and register it.

As far as buying form a dealer, that's a different story as the dealer has a license to worry about so you're going to be paying the tax.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Ed_Gee
Explorer II
Explorer II
Sales tax is never collected on private sales. But you probably need to get a temporary registration or permit to drive the vehicle on California roads until you reach AZ.
Ed - on the Central Oregon coast
2018 Winnebago Fuse 23A
Scion xA toad

guidry
Explorer
Explorer
wapiticountry wrote:
California is beyond weird when it comes to taxation on vehicles. Not sure how it works for private sales, but if you buy from a California dealer and want to title it out of state the dealer has to have an employee drive the vehicle to a neighboring state before you take possession, otherwise you are on the hook for state sales tax and the dealers aren't going to risk their licenses buy winking and nodding that you took delivery out of state. I have done it twice since California is the best place to get high end sports cars and I have a home in a no sales tax state. One time, the dealer even took a picture of me and their driver swapping keys under the "Welcome to Nevada" sign (I drove a dealer car and their driver drove my car) The savings are came close to 5 figures each time.
If it was me, and the seller either didn't know or didn't care, I would get the title and a bill of sale from them and high tail it out of the People's Republic being careful to not attract undo attention by testing the performance limits of the new RV. Arizona couldn't care less about how you got the vehicle, they just want their ounces of flesh when you get your Arizona registration and plates.

If you get permission from the owner to drive the rig until you get home then have him cash the purchase check youโ€™ll be good. Cops wonโ€™t care; itโ€™s the DMV thatโ€™s trying to get the fees.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
To answer your specific question : In order to get a temporary registration to operate it back home , you will need to call or go to your AZ DMV to explain your plans in CA as a private sale where you are the buyer.
While you are there, ask them about who, where and how you pay the sales tax ! You need to know what paperwork they need from the seller which will probably include AZ DMV forms.

* Unless you already know the vehicle and/or the person in CA from who you are making the purchase, this might not be the best idea.
Out of state private sale is the most risky form of sale. It must be worth it monetarily to buy from an out of state private seller and you need to know its a clean title. Hire a professional rv inspector.

You will need the VIN number from the seller in order for you to insure it.
You have a lot to do involving DMV, your INS co. and a Ca. RV inspector to check it all out for you before you attempt to drive it anywhere !

wapiticountry
Explorer
Explorer
California is beyond weird when it comes to taxation on vehicles. Not sure how it works for private sales, but if you buy from a California dealer and want to title it out of state the dealer has to have an employee drive the vehicle to a neighboring state before you take possession, otherwise you are on the hook for state sales tax and the dealers aren't going to risk their licenses buy winking and nodding that you took delivery out of state. I have done it twice since California is the best place to get high end sports cars and I have a home in a no sales tax state. One time, the dealer even took a picture of me and their driver swapping keys under the "Welcome to Nevada" sign (I drove a dealer car and their driver drove my car) The savings are came close to 5 figures each time.
If it was me, and the seller either didn't know or didn't care, I would get the title and a bill of sale from them and high tail it out of the People's Republic being careful to not attract undo attention by testing the performance limits of the new RV. Arizona couldn't care less about how you got the vehicle, they just want their ounces of flesh when you get your Arizona registration and plates.

PartyOf_Five
Explorer
Explorer
Many states require immediate registration, even to just drive out of the state. Check the DMV in both states, as I'm sure both have rules for your situation to retain their revenue. It can't be the first time they're run into this.
PartyOf5 appreciating our Creator thru the created. 5 yrsL 50k, 49 states & 9 provinces.

May you find Peace in all you endeavor.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
I D go to your dmv office and get the facts even write them down. all stats are different.