cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

bypass Birmingham, AL

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
I am traveling south on I-65 through Birmingham. I hate I-65 in Birmingham! I noticed that just east of I-65 is a US31, have any of you traveled that road and if so how good is it?

thanks,
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True
16 REPLIES 16

blakduk01
Explorer
Explorer
There is one alternative. Take I-459 and go around Birmingham. It connects I-65 on thenorth and south. It is longer probably by 30 minutes, but if you are that fearfull of I-65 then it is an alternative. Just don't do either one during rush hour. I have done both, both ways and find very little to worry about, just stay in the right lane and let people go by.

AFK

Teacher_s_Pet
Explorer
Explorer
My 2015 Rand McNally Trucker's Atlas shows I-22 had been connected to I-65. We were making a run from Gaffney SC to Red Bay AL on 8/1/15, found out it can lie! Had to backtrack and take US78W from downtown. ๐Ÿ˜ž
'06 Phaeton 40' QSH
'14 Ford Flex SEL AWD Toad
'04 R-Vision Trail-Lite 213
Scottiemom's Pet or husband to Dale
RV.net Rallies 13, Other Rallies 21, Escapades 7
Fulltimers since 2005, Where are we?
Our Travel Blog

Preacher_Man
Explorer
Explorer
gsander1 wrote:
Preacher Man wrote:
Anyone know when the I-22 interchange will be finished in Birmingham?

I'd guess NEVER!

Looks like mid December is the latest date... ๐Ÿ˜‰
Mark Walter
J-Angel Productions
Web and Media Company
2004 Sportscoach LE 376 DS
Cat 3126E, Allison 3000

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
Hoosier Cruiser wrote:
US31 through Birmingham is slow with a lot of stops. Really, I65 isn't bad. Oak mountain on the south side is a good overnight stop. Quiet and reasonable. The access to the campground is from the south end of the park.

A little secret that I just discovered is that there is an equestrian campground just inside the entrance (less than 100 yards). If you are just passing through it is a great place to spend the night. The main campground takes an extra 10 minutes each way to get to. The equestrian campground has full hookups but no bath house. Not much privacy but nice pull through sites and it is very quiet.

I go through Birmingham a lot. I try to avoid rush hour but I would rather do B'ham twice than Nashville once.

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
Preacher Man wrote:

I'd guess NEVER!
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

Preacher_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Mark Walter
J-Angel Productions
Web and Media Company
2004 Sportscoach LE 376 DS
Cat 3126E, Allison 3000

Rwake901
Explorer
Explorer
Just went through Birmingham last week on our way back from Florida. No problems going through there it's Nashville that we always have traffic problems with.

Elbert
Explorer
Explorer
as noted stay on I65....there is no real bypass that is a time-saver

mikestock
Explorer
Explorer
Try to avoid rush hours. It should get better if they ever finish that massive interchange with I-22 from north Birmingham to Memphis. Roads are rough through Birmingham as they are through most heavily populated cities.

At least we don't have the daily freeze and thaw problems in Winter, like a lot of northern cities. Try parts of I-95. That's where you really need to use your Polident and need to have your stuff tied down.

Horsedoc
Explorer II
Explorer II
Only good thing about downtown B'ham is Dream Land BBQ, but that is a subject for a different discussion. ๐Ÿ˜‰
horsedoc
2008 Damon Essence
2013 Jeep Sahara Unlimited
Blue Ox tow

aboeck3
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all for the information. I will stick to I-65 from now on.
Al & Jane - RETIRED
(Nico, Smudge & Boo - Cocker Spaniels)
2017 Winnebago Journey 42E with 2013 Honda CR-V toad & 2 bicycles (just in case)
Dreams Do Come True

Goldencrazy
Explorer
Explorer
As in all cities the roads are rough and more traffic but Birmingham is not bad. As suggested pick non-rush hour time and take a lane that goes thru so usually one off the exit lanes and stay put and let traffic navigate around you. Safe travels.

gsander1
Explorer
Explorer
IF you think you hate I65 wait till you try US31. There is no rational route through Birmingham other than the interstate.
George in Birmingham, AL
03 Country Coach Magna

Laman
Explorer
Explorer
I have been traveling from Fl. to Northwest Al. for 26 years and as state previously, unless you want to go on a lot of sides roads and endure downtown stop and go traffic in an RV there is not much you can do going north and south. Pick a non-rush hour take it easy and in 20 minutes you are through.
1998 American Eagle 40' EVS, 2011 Ford Edge, Falcon 2 tow bar
DW and 2 DD's