cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Camp Chef Portable Outdoor Oven

Brian48
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking for any first hand knowledge pertaining to a Camp Chef Portable outdoor oven or a recommended equivalent. Do they maintain a fairly consistent temp and pros and cons. Thank you. Brian
5 REPLIES 5

army_guy1
Explorer
Explorer
We had one and enjoyed it. I went and got some 6x6 ceramic heat stones and that helps even out the heat. I agree about not keeping the temp consistent and we just opened the door also to let out heat. We used it to make pizza's and brownies a lot but also did cupcakes.
Rick & Jana
Full timing since Oct 2005 - retired US Army Dec 2009
2018 Arctic Fox 27-5L
2014 RAM 3500 Big Horn

Brian48
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you for your input. AJB, your reasons for purchase are similar to mine as we have the micro/convection combo and do not like to run the generator for extended periods while near neighbors. It is different when we are boondocking and only the wild critters are annoyed. The oven is not so expensive that it prevents me from giving it a try.

AJB
Explorer
Explorer
DW and I bought one in July '13. The reason we bought it was because our RV did not have an oven and we had a hard time getting used to the convection/micro. The first thing we baked was a pan of brownies (I was going into withdrawal)and they came out very good. We have done cakes, cookies, biscuits and a meatloaf or two.

Do they maintain a consistent temp.? No, but neither do regular ovens. When the oven gets too hot for what we are cooking we just open the door a little and let it cool down some.

I concur with Broken Oak on the wind comment.

When baking it helps if you rotate the pan as there does seem to be "hot spots" within the oven. It helps prevent the items on the outside edges from burning.
We have thought about getting a pizza stone for the bottom shelf to maybe help prevent the "hot spots"
By the way, we always cook on the top shelf for better results.
If you have a hard time getting the oven hot we usually found the the propane tank was getting low and there was reduced pressure in the tank. Overall we are happy with the camp chef. the one we bought also has the two burners on top.

Broken_Oak
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Brian48,

We have the Camp Chef outdoor oven. It is not worth anything if the wind is blowing. It would not get above 300*. We have not tried in out of the wind because, well, the wind has not stopped blowing yet. I did read some reviews and they were all good, but maybe it was during the middle of summer when people were using theirs. Good Luck!

Carmen
Kenny & Carmen
2013 Keystone Pass Port Ultra Lite
2010 GMC Sierra 4x4/ 2014 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4
Texas Hill Country

OhhWell
Explorer
Explorer
I always look things up on amazon even if I don't buy from there. The reviews from other customers are usually top notch.

http://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Portable-Outdoor-Oven/product-reviews/B00A0M4B0S/ref=dpx_acr_txt?showViewpoints=1

I have no personal experience with that device but did have a Colman stove that was a little similar and it was tough to get an even temp. I had to put an extra layer of tinfoil over the bottom.
1998 bounder 36s V10 F53