cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't get to crank

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
I'm having a time tring to get my DP to crank had batterys checked and they were bad,changed out. But still don't crank,I'm getting two alarms . One when key is turn to on that stays on till key is turn off and the other when the key is turn to start it go's off. If I can't find out whats going on , I will need at good rv mech. for the Craven county area in NC anybody know one ?
Joe
2000 REXHALL AERBUS 37' DIESEL
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS
24 REPLIES 24

jdb7566
Explorer
Explorer
ROADSTARJR wrote:
I'm having a time tring to get my DP to crank had batterys checked and they were bad,changed out. But still don't crank,I'm getting two alarms . One when key is turn to on that stays on till key is turn off and the other when the key is turn to start it go's off. If I can't find out whats going on , I will need at good rv mech. for the Craven county area in NC anybody know one ?

I had a similar problem last spring. I replaced both 12V batteries, and the problem remained. It turned out to be corroded terminals on the starter solenoid. I replaced the starter/solenoid assembly and have not had troubles since.

wny_pat1
Explorer
Explorer
Hope he comes back and tells us what was wrong!
“All journeys have secret destinations of which the traveler is unaware.”

Beltone_Magoo
Explorer
Explorer
Don't k now about your rig but on my HR the transmission is connected to the engine ECU. My transmission ECU wouldn't light up at all and that prevented the engine from even cranking. After the transmission ECU was replaced everything worked like it should. There is also a fuse somewhere inline (usually close to the battery) that goes to the transmission controls and they have been known to go bad.
Good luck and safe travels!
Doug & Connie
2001 Holiday Rambler Imperial
2001 Subaru Forester toad

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
Well I'm to the point that I think I'll have to call a service guy out to look at it. I have power to the starter but can't get, new batterys but will not crank. Thanks for help
Joe
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS

olfarmer
Explorer
Explorer
Try checking the negative cable where it attaches to the chassis. I had a gas MH that did that occasionally and it turned out to be a bad connection where the cable grounded to the chassis. It took me a long time to figure out what the problem was. Just a thought and good luck.
Ed & Ruby & the 2 cats
2001 Winnebago Brave 30W
7.4 gas Work Horse Chassis
99 Jeep Grand Cherokee

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
I changed them out and the switch is set right
Joe
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Did you change the batteries yourself, or have someone else do it?

Somewhere, usually around the engine or possibly even the battery compartment, there is a disconnect switch which disconnects the chassis batteries. It's usually a rotary style click switch. Look for that chassis battery disconnect and make sure that it's in the correct position. (I would take a picture of mine to show you what it might look like, but my rig is in storage for at least a couple more weeks.)
Mark & Cherie
2002 Newmar Dutch Star DP 3872, Cummins 350 ISC, Spartan Chassis

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins and Spartan Chassis
Joe
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
What engine/chassis do you have?
Mark & Cherie

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
It does nothing in the start no click or anything
Joe
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS

Bikeboy57
Explorer
Explorer
Can you be more specific about what it does and does not do. For example does the engine turn over but not fire? Does the starter solenoid click when you try to start? Or nothing happens at all when you turn the key to start. Do you have a voltmeter on the dash console? What does it indicate? Everyone is guessing without more detail provided
Richard and Rhonda
1999 Newell
Subaru Outback toad

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
I have a switch for boost from house battery it don't do anything
Joe
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS

mtrumpet
Explorer
Explorer
Do you have an "AUX START" button on your dash? (It would be a momentary switch/button - meaning that it would release when you took your finger off ot it.) Holding in the "AUX START" would allow you to borrow power from your house batteries to start your coach. If you have one, push it and try to start your engine. If it starts, then there's a problem with your (new) chassis batteries. If you don't have and "AUX START" button, then, um, forget that I said anything.
Mark & Cherie

ROADSTARJR
Explorer
Explorer
I Got about a year ago got in west part of state. Got home parked leveled up, put out slide started checking things out. Put slide in jacks up and tried to start found batterys bad and got new Chassis batterys and is not cranking
Joe
2004 Dodge 3500 DRW
2001 Sunnybrook 33 RKFS