cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Canadian prices too high on used units? Cheaper to import?

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer
Ok, this applies to us living north of the border. I'm starting to get frustrated with a lot of Canadian dealers, especially in Ontario. Long-winded post so please bear with me.

When I'm looking (as I'm seriously doing this week) I use the NADA low and average retail as aguide- stress guide and 30% added for the CAD dollar difference. However dealers seem to be adding 40-50% on to their prices with a take it or leave it attitude.

So my question is, is it getting to the point where I can bring a MH into Canada cheaper myself?

Here is my thought process on how the dollars work out. Same theoretical motorhome in Canada and US, priced at $100K USD in the US and should be priced at $130K in CAD using NADA as a guide.

If I buy in the US I loose any sales tax credit on my trade so I'm thinking it works as follows;

Buy in the US (using an exchange rate of 30%)
Asking price $100K USD
Maybe get $45K USD in trade (taking $5K of off NADA low)
I pay $55K USD or or roughly $71,500 CAD
Add sales tax of $16,900K CAD (13% on the full value in CAD - $130K)
Total cost before any misc fees for import $88,400 CAD

Buying in Canada ideal price
So asking price $130K CAD (assuming realistic markup)
Maybe $45K CAD in trade (even though avg NADA is more like 58K)
I pay $85K CAD plus
sales tax on $85K = $11,505 CAD
Total cost should be = $96,505 CAD

OK, a $8100 CAD difference cheaper in the US based on NADA average.
(The trade in value above in CAD is based on current discussions with lowball dealers offer not NADA average with 30% )

Based on what I've been looking at Canadian dealers are not using NADA average (though they actually say they use it), actual asking price on the MH in Canada for a $100K USD MH is usually around $150K, so potentially I can save $20K going to the US right of the bat.

Actual example on a MH I asked a dealer about. NADA plus 30$ put it at $179K CAD, dealer told me it was $220K CAD. Where did the extra $40K come from? Oh yeah, he told me a tag cost $80K more than non-tag, even used.

So is anyone else thinking of going this route? Also any idea on the import cost? I know there will be at least a couple of grand extra.

Any flaws in my thinking?

Ok, end of my rant.

thanks

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)
96 REPLIES 96

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
You guys could argue the horns off a billy goat.

MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
we only have federal cops where I live; RCMP; they enforce any driving infraction whether its provincial or federal via registration; plate; driver license; insurance; etc

the law says you can not as a Canadian citizen enter Canada with a foreign registered, plated and insured vehicle and drive freely for pleasure

your saying the police can not enforce that law? seems a bit off to me?

Again, even though you are now talking about our federales for the first time, no, the RCMP do NOT โ€˜enforceโ€™ the Excise Tax Act unless requested to do so by the CBSA or CRA to enforce a warrant or as part of an investigation on their behalf.

Enter is one thing, drive freely is another.

โ€œEntryโ€ is up to the CBSA.

โ€œDrive freelyโ€ is also up to the CBSA, when is the last time you saw a CBSA officer anywhere but a border crossing or Port of Entry?

Now please, enough, conjecture is just that, laws and regulations under laws are what counts, if you wish to continue this, please quote laws or regulations promulgated under them.

Enter is one thing, drive freely is another

that's my point you said you drove freely and were stopped several time with zero consequence?
why don't hundreds of snow birds do this then ? across Canada?
I guarantee you if a RCMP guy that knows his stuff was to stop you He will fine you, seize your car and impound it
also if you read the actual law your only allowed 30 days in Canada with this vehicle unless you applied to import then u have 6 months to do so

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gutfelt wrote:
we only have federal cops where I live; RCMP; they enforce any driving infraction whether its provincial or federal via registration; plate; driver license; insurance; etc

the law says you can not as a Canadian citizen enter Canada with a foreign registered, plated and insured vehicle and drive freely for pleasure

Again, even though you are now talking about our federales for the first time, no, the RCMP do NOT โ€˜enforceโ€™ the Excise Tax Act unless requested to do so by the CBSA or CRA to enforce a warrant or as part of an investigation on their behalf.

Enter is one thing, drive freely is another.

โ€œEntryโ€ is up to the CBSA.

โ€œDrive freelyโ€ is also up to the CBSA, when is the last time you saw a CBSA officer anywhere but a border crossing or Port of Entry?

Now please, enough, conjecture is just that, laws and regulations under laws are what counts, if you wish to continue this, please quote laws or regulations promulgated under them.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
Dutch_12078 wrote:
Make sure you include any costs of complying with all the steps required to import a vehicle from the US into Canada when calculating the total US purchase price:

9 Steps to Importing a Vehicle into Canada from the U.S.

And make sure the chosen RV is eligible for import in the first place of course...

WHY? Apparently you now can drive a US registered and plated/insured Vehicle freely in Canada with out penalty or worry of police?

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
I have never personally seen, met or talked to a person that does what you do so that's why iam surprized your allowed to do such.
it strikes me odd we don't see hundreds of people doing so?

As far as hunting and fishing let me be very clear police can most definitely fine you if you violate conservation rules and regulations

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gutfelt wrote:
JaxDad wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
Even if you do have interactions with local or Provincial LEOโ€™s they donโ€™t care where itโ€™s registered as long as the license and insurance is current.

I can guarantee you if a cop stops you, your going to be in trouble

Iโ€™ve been stopped in R.I.D.E. checkpoints twice (regional), and a long weekend โ€˜Safety Blitzโ€™ (Provincial) once, and speeding (Provincial) once, none of the LEO ever said I word about the fact that vehicle was insured and registered to me in Florida but that I had an Ontario drivers license. I.E. I was not residing in the US.

some cops are lazy and some don't know the law but in your case all you had to say was I just arrived in Canada and Iam on my way home; there most likely not going to challenge you on that statement

It's nothing to do with lazy, you don't seem to understand the law at all.

All LEO's are charged with enforcing a set type of law. Example, an Ontario Provincial Police officer is charged with enforcing Ontario law, both civil and criminal, as well as Federal criminal code, however, a Provincial police officer cannot charge you with violating other Federal laws like the Income Tax Act, or even laws like hunting and fishing reg's.

Likewise, a Provincial or Regional LEO, even with the evidence smacking them in the face and the citizen involved admitting their wrong-doing CANNOT lay charges under the Excise Tax Act, they simply do not have the authority.

There is a hierarchy to laws and law enforcement that cannot simply be waved away or usurped.

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
JaxDad wrote:
gutfelt wrote:
Even if you do have interactions with local or Provincial LEOโ€™s they donโ€™t care where itโ€™s registered as long as the license and insurance is current.

Iโ€™ve been stopped in R.I.D.E. checkpoints twice (regional), and a long weekend โ€˜Safety Blitzโ€™ (Provincial) once, and speeding (Provincial) once, none of the LEO ever said I word about the fact that vehicle was insured and registered to me in Florida but that I had an Ontario drivers license. I.E. I was not residing in the US.

some cops are lazy and some don't know the law but in your case all you had to say was I just arrived in Canada and Iam on my way home; there most likely not going to challenge you on that statement

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer
lonewolf80 wrote:
Going back to my post about prices higher in Canada, several posts have made a good argument that maybe ridicules regulations imposed by the government have helped create this situation of low inventory. It doesn't matter whether it is taxation or social programs, the government gets in the way of commerce.

like said none of those come into the equation;; its dollar difference and supply and demand ;;lots of people will pay a bit higher price to buy a RV locally because of things like warranty and service and lots of people just fine it too bothersome and complicated to search online fly down, locate inspect transfer funds and tow or drive home all the while assuming full risk product wise;;

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
Going back to my post about prices higher in Canada, several posts have made a good argument that maybe ridicules regulations imposed by the government have helped create this situation of low inventory. It doesn't matter whether it is taxation or social programs, the government gets in the way of commerce.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
cvbdsl wrote:
I guess it was too much to expect to stay on topic:h.

How about the cost of MH in your area of Canada compared to the US:D

(compared in the $)

Chris

I think you missed the point completely.

The limited inventory that IS the principle reason that prices are so much higher is largely due to the fact that not just any used motorhome can be sold here.

In fact as an example, although itโ€™s not necessarily enforced, in Ontario the TSSA regulations make it illegal for RV dealers to service an Ontario unit that is not in compliance. In this day and age businesses are hyper-conscious of rules and regulations.

There are several other threads about dealers refusing to service non-compliant units. It usually results in folks claiming itโ€™s part of some evil price-fixing scheme.

If the prices were dramatically higher in Canada for no real reason used inventory would be streaming into dealers up here to fill the void and exploit the market demand, they are not.

JaxDad
Explorer III
Explorer III
gutfelt wrote:

gutfelt
Explorer
Explorer

John___Angela
Explorer
Explorer
cvbdsl wrote:

(compared in the $)

Chris

No idea on motorhomes although inventories are low here in BC so that might push the price up a bit.

But Americans come up to buy Bigfoot campers and trailers to BC so there must be some competitividad between the two sides of the border.
2003 Revolution 40C Class A. Electric smart car as a Toad on a smart car trailer
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take but rather by the moments that take our breath away.

cvbdsl
Explorer
Explorer

(compared in the $)

Chris
2008 Holiday Rambler Scepter 42 PDQ
2018 Ford Edge SEL- Ready Brute Elite Tow Bar/Blue Ox Base plate/Patriot Brake System
Retired Canadian Army WO (1971-2000)