cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CARB smog testing motorhomes Every 4months by 2024

trashguy
Explorer
Explorer
https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/news/carb-unveils-smog-check-trucks-enforcement-event-port-los-angeles

You guys see this? In two years motorhomes will need to be smog tested 4 times a year in California?
40 REPLIES 40

Moved Friday m ATC

Orcadrvr
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

If you're gonna drive what is basically a big bus, then yeah you're gonna be treated like your driving a big bus.

A bus may travel 100,000 miles or more in a year, in stop and go traffic.
A motorhome is unlikely to accrue more than a few thousand miles in a year, largely on freeways and highways with few stops, although there are a few owner who do substantially more.
A four times a year testing regimen is pure harassment, nothing more.

Microlite_Mike
Explorer
Explorer
dodge guy wrote:
toedtoes wrote:
Nobody is denying you your right to recreate in a big RV. They are simoly trying to stop you from poluting the earth while you do it.

4 times a year is more than a bit much! Iโ€™m fact I would say that RVs should be at the bottom of the list for vehicles to inspect!

How about the deleted and tuned trucks running around. One of those pollutes 100 times more than a single clean RV.

The part in bold would make perfect sense. That alone disqualify the practice under "California bureaucratic logic".

My guess is that the modified pickup trucks are driving a lot more miles, and spewing a lot more pollution annually, than a Motorhome driven on the highway.

According to RVIA

According to the RVIA, the average RV owner uses their RV about 4 weeks out of each year. However, many report that they use their RV even less than that each year.

Chances are many, if not most, of those "deleted/tuned" pickups are "daily drivers" (after all, if you don't drive it how can you show it off?).

Will be interesting to see how much it will cost MH owners for the tests and what the state's "take" is.
"Knowledge is realizing that the street is one-way, wisdom is looking both directions anyway."

~ Albert Einstein

ItsyRV
Explorer
Explorer
Because this is an OBD only smog check, I suspect there will be many mobile testing (allowed under the regulations) setups especially along the state's borders. I can even see a RV Park having an arrangement with a local Certified Carb Inspector to perform inspections at the park. Maybe even inspections available at truck stops while you fuel up. I believe they estimate the entire test is under 5 minutes.
1994 Itasca SunDancer 21RB - Chevy G-30 chassis.

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
toedtoes wrote:
Nobody is denying you your right to recreate in a big RV. They are simoly trying to stop you from poluting the earth while you do it.

4 times a year is more than a bit much! Iโ€™m fact I would say that RVs should be at the bottom of the list for vehicles to inspect!

How about the deleted and tuned trucks running around. One of those pollutes 100 times more than a single clean RV.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
1975 American Clipper RV with Dodge 360 (photo in profile)
1998 American Clipper Fold n Roll Folding Trailer
Both born in Morgan Hill, CA to Irv Perch (Daddy of the Aristocrat trailers)

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:
PButler96 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

It only affects motorhomes that have a GVWR of over 14,000lbs.

Which is 100% of class A's, and every class C over @ 24'.

If you're gonna drive what is basically a big bus, then yeah you're gonna be treated like your driving a big bus.

Evidently so. It's just a matter of time before they impose/mandate more bullsheet towards "heavy duty" pickup trucks, lower the 14K GVW trigger point, and start looking at folks pulling towables.

We can't have people destroying the planet in the name of recreation now can we, they need to use tents or a 10' teardrop trailer, no need for a 30' TT or a 38' 5er.

I guess you're all for it? Isn't it great having gubmint involved in every single aspect of your life?
I have a burn barrel in my yard.

NamMedevac_70
Explorer II
Explorer II
Have fun in California with all the many types of disasters afoot. I visit there often for fishing, etc but never would live there. Next door neighbor.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
PButler96 wrote:
toedtoes wrote:

PButler96
Explorer
Explorer
toedtoes wrote:

I have a burn barrel in my yard.

toedtoes
Explorer III
Explorer III
In 2024, they will require testing TWICE per year. This can be done remotely using OBD equipment.

In 2027, testing will increase to 4 times per year.