cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CareFree Awning Stop Working .... Update & fixed

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
Where to look first ?????? Awning is the 21 footer, windsmart auto-retract (awning will retract if too much wind) multi-switch (there's an operating switch inside the coach and one on the bottom arm of the awning).I pushed the switch to push out the awning, it moved out about 4 inches and then stopped. Now the awning won't move in or out. The on/off switch is lit as if there's is power going to the switch. I have the operators manual in front of me and there isn't a trouble shooting section. There is a "jump start" suggestion on page 16 puting 12 volts right to the motor pigtail but don't want to go there yet in that it's rainng outside!!
Any suggestions folks?? Thanks ......
Stoped raining, got out the ladder, climbed up and found the Awning electrical connector, turned it to disconnect, looked inside and found a slight bit of corrosion in and around the ground pin. Cleaned it out and sprayed a little WD-40, re-connected, pushed the extend toggle switch and the awning moved!!! Thanks all for your help!!
15 REPLIES 15

KO
Explorer
Explorer
When I say it doesn't work - it does nothing. I know it will extend and retract as it does each time it comes back from repair but then a couple of days later - D-E-A-D!
Again, I have had 4 of the black boxes replaced and I now have a handful of remotes.

cat199
Explorer
Explorer
The plug on the outside has given me problems also. But I have also had the control go bad in one direction. What happened was I would get full power to the motor for one direction but I would not get a good ground through the relay in the control. There are two relays that send power or ground the motor depending on which way you are going. And the one that grounded my retract would ground the motor to get full power. It was a pain to troubleshoot.

cKarlGo
Explorer
Explorer
KO wrote:
I have a 2006 with Carefree awning over side and another one over entrance door. Entrance door one works like a charm. The side awning has had its black box replaced 4 times and the dang thing still doesn't work. Never has and I guess never will. If someone does figure out a fix - I would sure like to know it as Lazy Days (Twice), RV World in Yuma AZ, and AL's RV Yuma cannot fix it so it works. When they do repair it - it works for about 1-2 days and then nothing...
I have given up.

When you say that it doesn't work, do you mean that your awning will not extend and retract at all?
---------
k.
2014 Itasca Suncruiser 38Q
2014 Honda CR-V
2007 Black Lab/Pitt Bull mix named Harley

KO
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 2006 with Carefree awning over side and another one over entrance door. Entrance door one works like a charm. The side awning has had its black box replaced 4 times and the dang thing still doesn't work. Never has and I guess never will. If someone does figure out a fix - I would sure like to know it as Lazy Days (Twice), RV World in Yuma AZ, and AL's RV Yuma cannot fix it so it works. When they do repair it - it works for about 1-2 days and then nothing...
I have given up.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
DSDP Don wrote:
2ndhom......Get a ladder out and go to the plug at the top right corner of the awning (as you face it). Disconnect the plug, make sure it's clean and then reconnect, making sure it's tight.

Thanks ... will do that as soon as we have a clearing of rain today.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
SoILBoy wrote:
Ther Carefree web site has troubleshooting guides available for download. I had to troubleshoot mine and ended up buying a new control box.

I looked on their web site and could only find "frequently aksed questions". Clicked on all items and could not find/see a "troubleshooting" line item.

DSDP_Don
Explorer
Explorer
2ndhom......Get a ladder out and go to the plug at the top right corner of the awning (as you face it). Disconnect the plug, make sure it's clean and then reconnect, making sure it's tight.
Don & Mary
2019 Newmar Dutch Star 4018 - All Electric
2019 Ford Raptor Crew Cab

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Check the fuse

I checked all the fuses and breakers ... all looks good.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Check the fuse

I checked all the fuses and breakers ... all looks good.

2ndhom
Explorer
Explorer
n7bsn wrote:
Check the fuse

Would a fuse be blown if the on switch is lit??
:h

cochise49
Explorer
Explorer
What if you switched the chassis/coach battery disconnects off/on? Might be easier than fishing for the power lead. Ours was hidden behind an artificial wall panel in the cabinet behind a bunch of dishes.
Bev& Keith
2014 Winnebago Adventurer 38Q
2013 Honda CRV, Roadmaster Falcon AT, Invisibrake

harold1946
Explorer
Explorer
Two things to try. Disconnect power lead to reset the controller. Check all connections.
Harold and Linda
2009 CT Coachworks siena 35V
W-22 Workhorse 8.1L
Explorer Sport toad

SoILBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Ther Carefree web site has troubleshooting guides available for download. I had to troubleshoot mine and ended up buying a new control box.

danager
Explorer
Explorer
I am having ongoing issues with mine at the moment. If I wait 15 minutes, it will begin to operate again. Perhaps give that a try. If not, try to tap on the motor at the one end of the awning roller. The brushes may not be making contact, causing issues.

I believe my motor may need to be replaced, will confirm after some more troubleshooting. Oddly enough, this is a late model GM power window motor. The part cost approximately $200.00 from Carefree. A solid OEM motor cost $80.00 through a parts supplier.