Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone carry a spare 20# propane tank while traveling? If so,
do you carry it in the RV or the toad?
16 REPLIES 16

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We always carried one in the rear of the Jeep for our grill. You can get a specific circular stand for it.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
Mile High wrote:
I suppose those that had issues aren't here to talk about it :E....

Well then....I'll chime in!

Filled up a 20lb propane tank for my bbg at the local propane shop.
Put it in the back of my van.

Went across the street to get gas. Smelled propane, went to open van and it was FULL of propane gas.

Too scared to start van that close to the gas pumps and move it. Went inside to tell gas station owner of the situation and he evacuated the gas station and call it in.

Long story short, 4 fire engines, 6 squads and a hazemat team arrived on the scene to defuse the situation!! Picture of my van made the 10:00 news. :B:B

So ya it can happen. Been there did that!

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Dutch_12078
Explorer
Explorer
We also carry a 30# cylinder for use with our Extend-A-Stay hose during longer stops. We normally use another hose connected to the accessory port on the Extend-A-Stay for our grill, but we also carry a couple of throwaway 1# cylinders for use when we want to set the grill up further away from the coach. The 30#er rides in a bin that I equipped with straps and a vent for that purpose.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

doxiemom11
Explorer II
Explorer II
We carry our 20# in the same storage bay of the motorhome as the large inboard tank. It is ventilated and it just fits in front of the big one.

malexander
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 30#er as an extra. Sometimes, if I don't have the toad along, I'll just put it in the corner of the bedroom (in a milk crate). It fits just perfectly, between the "dresser" and the foot of the bed.
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N 330 Cat DP, 2008 GL1800 Goldwing, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S6S Coyote, Vans RV9A. Lifetime NRA, EAA, Good Sam member

cwit
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a 30 pounder for our extend a stay and 11 pounder for our grill.

Mile_High
Explorer
Explorer
I suppose those that had issues aren't here to talk about it :E

I have a similar issue. I used to carry it in the back of the pickup with our 5er, but now I don't really have a place to put it. I refuse to put in in the basement (sorry guys, that doesn't pass the Darwin test). I have an ll lb that I used to put in the toad with the windows down, but the new toad is black and it will complicate the issue. I don't have a resolve for it yet. I do have an LP connector from my LP tank, but it is regulated. Maybe I just need to take the regulator off the fire pit.

I notice on the new all electric Winnies they provide a 20lb tank in the old ASME tank compartment that is all open on the bottom. That would be nice.
2013 Winnebago Itasca Meridian 42E
2013 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Towed

10forty2
Explorer
Explorer
Yep. Carry two 20# tanks every trip. They sit in milk crates in a basement bin. No issues at all. I use them for the portable fire pit and for our outdoor stove/oven combo. I also have at least 4 of the small individual-use Coleman lantern/stove LP tanks as well. Other than being loose tanks (mine are secured in the bins from rolling around and falling over), what makes it any different than the mounted 30gal on-board tank? Portable tanks are on the front of most every pull-behind camper, and many more than that go up and down the road in transport trucks to retail outlets every day.
1999 Holiday Rambler Endeavor, 36' Gasser
Triton V10, Ford F53 Chassis
-----------------------------------------

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't carry an extra tank but have no issues with those that do. Safer than the "white gas" we all needed for Coleman stoves and lanterns back in the day.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Oasisbob
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a five pounder in the bathroom for lantern & grill. I also have an adaptor so can use a one pound bottle on the trailer. I feel safe with it on board.
Oasis Bob
Wonderful wife 3 of 4 kids at home. 1 proudly serving in USAF
2018 Ford Explorer
2001 Bantam Trail Lite B-19

HAPPY TRAILS:)

laurencestarr
Explorer
Explorer
I carry a tank in my RV since I do not have a toad. Had no problems. Just make sure the valve is shut and put it in a vented bay.
Laurence starr

Hikerdogs
Explorer
Explorer
We do have a tank in a vented compartment. However it's an 11 lb. tank meant exclusively for the gas grille. It's mounted to the wall of the storage compartment with a bracket similar to this.

https://powertank.com/products/sfID1/17/productID/480

I didn't buy it, but rather made it for less than $10.00. The latch is slightly different in that the last 2" of each half of the band is bent at right angles. One half has a square hole in it for a carriage bolt. The other half has a round hole. The bolt is anchored in the square hole, passes through the round hole in the other half and is secured using a nylock thumb nut.
Hikerdogs
2013 Winnebago Adventurer

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
I use to carry one all the time. Mine fit perfectly in a milk crate. I have now added a outlet to hook up to my coaches tank.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Effy
Explorer
Explorer
crasster wrote:
Best to keep it anywhere that has good ventilation.

Good point. I didn't mention the bin I carry mine in is vented.
2013 ACE 29.2