cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CAT DIESEL WILL NOT HOLD PRIME

KENTUCKYNEWBIE
Explorer
Explorer
I have a 1989 Elite Coach with a CAT diesel pusher. Believe it is a 3208. After it sits a couple of days, i have to use hand pump to prime. Since I am an old goat with a bad shoulder, this makes it difficult. Anyone have suggestions as to what could be the problem or a fix.?
6 REPLIES 6

11178adm
Explorer
Explorer
3208 cats use a sleeve metering fuel system and the pump assembly is completely filled with fuel, there are three 1/4 in plastic tubes that drop down on the left front of the engine, one is for the bleeder valve on the top front of the pump, one is to drain fuel if the front seal leaks, another seal keeps it from getting in the oil, the last one drains the shutdown housing on the bottom of the top cover if the seals leak, if fuel is coming out of these tubes that is the problem. they also had a problem with the throttle shaft sucking air with the engine shut, off usually several hours, most of the time they would not leak fuel during operation, but there may be some wetness around the shaft, once the engine is running it does not suck air from this issue. the seal can be replaced by removing the governor housing on the rear of the pump without removing the entire pump assembly if you can find someone that still remembers how to work on them

chuckftboy
Explorer
Explorer
Some primer pumps need an occasional rebuilding after many years of use the O rings leak fuel past the check valve and back into the tank. You nay have some old O rings that need replacing.
2019 Horizon 42Q Maxum Chassis w/tag
Cummins L-9 450 HP / Allison 3000
2006 Jeep TJ and 2011 Chevy Traverse Tows

path1
Explorer
Explorer
moisheh wrote:
path1: I do not think you will find many that think the 3208 was one of Cat's best. I had a Bluebird with a 3208. It was alright as far as power and did not burn any oil but has a oil cooler that is known to leak, bad fuel pumps. They often blow white smoke in the mornings. Mine was a 300 HP intercooled. The older ones were underpowered. That Elite should have the 300 HP version. I think 89 was almost the end of that powerplant.

Moisheh

But they last forever.

(Strange you bring up fuel pumps. I'm messing around today because I have to go some where later. Working on my 5.9 Cummins, replacing lift pump and going from 3/8 size plumbing to 1/2 inch. I know I'll end up getting a diesel bath, so waiting till we get back before I get delightful smell of diesel all over me).
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"

moisheh
Explorer
Explorer
path1: I do not think you will find many that think the 3208 was one of Cat's best. I had a Bluebird with a 3208. It was alright as far as power and did not burn any oil but has a oil cooler that is known to leak, bad fuel pumps. They often blow white smoke in the mornings. Mine was a 300 HP intercooled. The older ones were underpowered. That Elite should have the 300 HP version. I think 89 was almost the end of that powerplant.

Moisheh

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Any small drips off the fuel filter?
I had athe tiniest hole rust through a 3 micron filter.

path1
Explorer
Explorer
1. IMO the 3208 one of the best motors made.

2. Probably sucking a little air somewhere. Nothing big, just enough to loose prime. Do you see any drops of fuel anywhere after being parked so long? Maybe a fuel connection little bit damp with diesel, if so that is good place to start. Then after the obvious it gets harder to find. Could be nothing more than small crack in rubber gasket in fuel filter. Or injector acting up. Tackle small stuff first.
2003 Majestic 23P... Northwest travel machine
2013 Arctic Fox 25W... Wife "doll house" for longer snowbird trips
2001 "The Mighty Dodge"... tow vehicle for "doll house"