cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Ceiling Replacement

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have a Forester with the Soft Touch Ceiling, due to leak damage,(the roof has been repaired) I need to replace the ceiling in a couple areas, when I pulled the soft ceiling down, some came off pretty easily, other big areas, the vinyl fabric came off, leaving the foam backing firmly in place.
I've tried scraping it with a wide putty knife, and a razor type scraper, both to no avail, is there a chemical that will dissolve this foam, or at least make it easier to remove, this is Not the same type of foam used as carpet backing.
Has anyone ever tried to replace a Soft Touch ceiling?
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund
8 REPLIES 8

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Turned out pretty well, (for a non carpenter type).
It works for the only 2 people that matters, DW & Me, if no one else likes it, they don't have to look at it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
It is always a joy to hear back from an OP about the conclusion of a project or the resolution of a problem.

There are better "Multi-Function/Oscillating" tools than that cheap HF I have, but gotta say, the more expensive ones don't accomplish any more. HF's blades aren't the best though...

BUT!!! How did the Ceiling Project itself, turn out?
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
j-d wrote:
Quote: "Use a vibrating saw takes it off like butter"

Newman, you mean like this?

This pic is from HF, but the major brands all have "oscillating" or "multi tool" versions. The "blades" usually work across brands.

Anyhow, I have the HF tool pictured above, and it's never disappointed me.
I realize this is quite late, but just want to say thank you to Newman & j-d, got the exact same one as j-d's, and it was awesome best tool I've ever owned, don't think I could have done the job without it. Thanks
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

swuebbels
Explorer II
Explorer II
No, you actually didn't post in the Forester specific sub forum. It will be seen by owners of the Foresters, that have soft ceilings if you would post there.
2015 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
swuebbels wrote:
I haven't seen you post this in the forester subforum at the Forest River site. You would probably have more luck

here
Stan
Actually, I did post it there, under ( General Tech & Repair), it has 85 views & 0 replies.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus

swuebbels
Explorer II
Explorer II
I haven't seen you post this in the forester subforum at the Forest River site. You would probably have more luck

here
Stan
2015 Sunseeker 2300 Chevy

j-d
Explorer II
Explorer II
Quote: "Use a vibrating saw takes it off like butter"

Newman, you mean like this?

This pic is from HF, but the major brands all have "oscillating" or "multi tool" versions. The "blades" usually work across brands.

Anyhow, I have the HF tool pictured above, and it's never disappointed me.
If God's Your Co-Pilot Move Over, jd
2003 Jayco Escapade 31A on 2002 Ford E450 V10 4R100 218" WB

newman_fulltime
Explorer
Explorer
Use a vibrating saw takes it off like butter