Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Cheap Fix for Big roof Problem

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
ETA: For some reason I can't get the pic to load ๐Ÿ˜ž
So my husband got on the tall ladder and inspected the roof a little closer. It has problems. We want to make the MH usable-at least for a while so that we can see if having a MH is going to work for us to go places and take dogs & boat. I like to say "we want to date it, not marry it-yet"
Take a look at this pic and read the description and if anyone knows a cheap fix for it please let me know.
See the pic? See the cracks in the "skin"? Well on the side by the door (see red arrow) you can lift up the "skin" in about a 8-10 " area-maybe more. Under the "skin" there is a gray plastic strip that forms the curve of the roof to the side wall (from the trim strip up to where I have drawn the red dashed line). This plastic piece runs along the sides (part of the roof-see red dashed line)) and was tacked to some plywood that looks like it lays horizontally. Except now the tacks are not holding because the wood is damaged. It is dry though and looks like it doesn't go in far. We were thinking if there was some way to glue/tack the gray plastic strip back to the plywood and then use the Eternabond WebSeal tape along the sides of the MH to secure a bond and repair the cracks, then coat the whole roof with one of the rubber roof products you paint on we could get a few years out of it. (It will be stored under a covered storage when not being used. The question is--will this work and if so, what adhesive should we use with the gray plastic piece and the "skin" to glue it back down? I know this probably needs a new roof but right now we can't--and don't want to-replace the whole roof. So any ideas?
here is pic--i hope>>>
http://i233.photobucket.com/albums/ee315/mrsmoos/13296242_1318104988206406_2003423236_n.jpg
11 REPLIES 11

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
The whole roof needs to be re-coated after the repair to side. What coating would you all recommend for this "few year bandaid" type repair?

kenbert
Explorer
Explorer
https://www.eternabond.com/
95 Georgie Boy Encounter 37ft 5.9 cummins DP
01 Saturn SW

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
Mrsmoos wrote:
mike brez wrote:
I had a PaceArrow and had the same roof setup. It seems over time the roof material shrinks and comes out of the channel were your red arrow is pointing. As mine shrunk you could see were the screws were in the rubber then it ripped as it shrunk. A couple places on mine that curved radius loosened up and you could see were the two pieces met. I caulked mine good and heavy with dicor were the rubber goes into the channel around the whole coach and also dicored the the roof.

So what did you use to adhere the gray plastic piece to the wood inside? And then you used the Dicor caulk to adhere the the rubber to the plastic AND to seal the cracks in the rubber?

Mine was not flapping in the breeze like yours. I think sea dogs repair would be the way I would go with yours if I were you.
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
I'd just seal it with any type of roof repair goop. Even home type would be okay on that. You can do a full job with edpm coating though.
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
I had a PaceArrow and had the same roof setup. It seems over time the roof material shrinks and comes out of the channel were your red arrow is pointing. As mine shrunk you could see were the screws were in the rubber then it ripped as it shrunk. A couple places on mine that curved radius loosened up and you could see were the two pieces met. I caulked mine good and heavy with dicor were the rubber goes into the channel around the whole coach and also dicored the the roof.

So what did you use to adhere the gray plastic piece to the wood inside? And then you used the Dicor caulk to adhere the the rubber to the plastic AND to seal the cracks in the rubber?

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

Sea_Dog
Explorer
Explorer
It does not look as though the area is very large,

I had the same problem.
What I did was get a piece of aluminum sheeting, the type used to
cover window trim etc, make sure that it is large enough
to cover out to solid wood.
Using short screws, I prefer sheet metal screws,
they have a coarser thread, place screws about three inches apart around the perimeter.

After doing this, cover the seam or edge
with self levellingg Eternabond.

DO NOT use silicone.

This repair should last the life of the unit with
very little expense!
Life is short,Death is long,
Take a vacation.

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for the advice AND the pic! We are worried about using the wrong sort of adhesive for each thing--such as the rubber skin and then glueing/tacking the gray plastic curved stuff back onto the plywood. my husband was thinking liquid nails but would it be compatible with both materials AND whatever we put over for the top. Talked to the RV guy at Eternabond today and he suggested WebSeal as it is meant to be coated over within 48 hrs. He also suggested using rubbing or denatured alcohol as a cleaner! The primer however you need.

mlslcan
Explorer
Explorer
You need to find a water based latex adhesive for epdm roofs to re-glue the "skin" down. If you search for it on Amazon for epdm adhesive you should find a few types. Your plan to use the eternabond and a coating is a good idea. If you search rv roof repair you can find more ideas.

Mike

PS here is the pic you had an extra space at the end of your link

Mrsmoos
Explorer
Explorer
Put address to copy/paste. Don't know what else to do--pics worked fine the other day...
๐Ÿ˜ž

timmac
Explorer
Explorer
Your pic does not work