cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

cheap roof repair on 30 year old motorhome

grammii
Explorer
Explorer
Thinking of recovering the leaking roof and seams I have and adding new termination bars under what is there. plan to encapsulate old seams. AM I crazy or might this work??
8 REPLIES 8

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Moved to Class C

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

grammii
Explorer
Explorer
it is a class c. i didn't realize I made a booboo Reddog1. by all means put it where it belongs.

Reddog1
Explorer II
Explorer II
I am a little confused, the title says "cheap roof repair on 30 year old motorhome", in your post you mention "upper bunk area". Is this a motor home as in a Class A or Class C? The point is, this is a TC (truck camper) Forum, and perhaps this thread belongs in one of the other forums. If so, I will move it.

Wayne

2004.5 Ram SLT LB 3500 DRW Quad Cab 4x4
1988 Bigfoot (C11.5) TC (1900# w/standard equip. per decal), 130 watts solar, 100 AH AGM, Polar Cub A/C, EU2000i Honda

Toad: 91 Zuke

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
grammii wrote:
I may consider doing that, Jumbo. How long ago did you do this? Is it holding up well?

Back in June. It is holding up very well. Key was cleaning the old roof and then letting it cure for several days.

When we took it on vacation later in June, we went through rain in Alabama that drowned out a rear view camera that was good for submersion up to 10 meters (30 ft.). The roof never leaked!

grammii
Explorer
Explorer
I may consider doing that, Jumbo. How long ago did you do this? Is it holding up well?

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
I used 2-1/2 gallons of liquid Dicor on my 31' MH. Nice rubber roof now.

grammii
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for your reply. I am rebuilding on the inside upper bunk area. doesn't seem to be too bad. wood is solid under decorative paneling. I plan to replace ceiling insulation and luan, as well as covers for both side walls. Just did several rows of eternabond on roof
to stop the obvious leak and hoping for the best.

sabconsulting
Explorer
Explorer
If the RV has a timber structure (either frame or walls) and the leak is evident inside the camper then it could have already done a lot of unseen damage to the timber parts of the camper, so if you are just patching / covering over it rather than stripping the roof and sorting out any rot damage will just be a temporary fix.

Steve.
'07 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab diesel + '91 Shadow Cruiser - Sky Cruiser 1
'98 Jeep TJ 4.0
'15 Ford Fiesta ST
'09 Fiat Panda 1.2