Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

chevy van g30 lark mobile home not starting

acehyu
Explorer
Explorer
I own a 1977 chevy van g30 lark mobile home
its been starting and running good however the last time I started it up it seemed to take longer by a second at most I drove to the beach and went for a walk came back and it wont start. I turn the key and I can hear and feel under my feet the solenoid click however the starter doesn't even click repeatidly like It should I don't think the starter would just very simply not move at all at a random

it also isn't turning over at all
brand new battery says I highly doubt its dead batteries
it does seem to however have some connection where both batteries are connected to one distributor
im really stumped and this is my home
please help

the drivers cabin lights work and the headlights work however for some reason it seems the home cabin electricity does not work. I usually can turn a light on and run it off the battery but it simply does not work
I am parked in a neighborhood where people act like they've never seen a mobile home
betting theyl try to get it towed if I don't move it soon
please help me
open to any solutions
13 REPLIES 13

mistressofdistr
Explorer
Explorer
Don't feel bad, I have done this on two occasions. Glad it was nothing serious.
Proud owner of 2 Barth motorhomes and a Barth Trailer.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
It's nice to hear about a happy ending. Happy travels.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
1989 Holiday Rambler Crown Imperial
Denver, CO

acehyu
Explorer
Explorer
it was in drive.
had never put it in park
im a bafoon
thanks guys

acehyu
Explorer
Explorer
lights stay on when I turn the ignition
I don't have a way to test the ampage 😕
im gonna test dry changing gears and see if its not lined up right
gonna hit the starter
and the click I hear and feel comes from what I think is a vacuum starter?
idk I found a picture of something similar on google
I am going to go under my r.v and take pictures so you all can tell me what that click is coming from.

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
You obviously have something mechanically wrong with the starter system of the vehicle, and that should not in any way be associated with any of the RV systems. Therefore, any good automobile mechanic should be able to diagnose and repair the problem. I have learned long ago that if one has no idea what is wrong and how to fix it, paying an expert is far cheaper than "throwing parts" at the problem until the right solution is discovered by accident. Having said that, before you hire an expert, go through this check list:
1. Make sure the starting battery is adequate to do the job. Have it tested.
2. Clean all electric connections from the battery posts to the starter. Often, a corroded connection will not deliver enough electricity to work the starter.
3. Unless you have the skills to further test the system, then now hire an expert.

tenbear
Explorer
Explorer
Do your lights stay on when you are trying to start it? If the lights go out either the battery is bad or you have a bad connection in the battery/starter circuit. If the lights stay on, could be the starter solenoid.
Class C, 2004/5 Four Winds Dutchman Express 28A, Chevy chassis
2010 Subaru Impreza Sedan
Camped in 45 states, 7 Provinces and 1 Territory

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forum. Your problem is probably something mentioned in the above posts.
However, just because a battery is new does not mean it can't be bad.
I've been down that road it the past.
Check it, or have it checked to make sure it's not the battery.
When you get it fixed, let us know what was causing your problem.
Enjoy your travels.

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Hmm, not sure about what you are looking at. Maybe someone familiar with older Chevy's can help here. If it's not from the starter, the click you are hearing could be the starter relay. In which case you could still try giving both parts of the starter, the solenoid and the motor, a few taps with a mallet and see if it starts. Do you have a multi-meter and a helper? check to see if you have 12 volts at the wire attached to the solenoid when the helper turns the ignition to start.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
Denver, CO

acehyu
Explorer
Explorer
wait wait wait. the clicking im reffering to is not attached to the starter the click I hear is coming from right under the drivers foot carpet, I looked under and its a solenoid(I believe) it has liquid lines going into it and when I turn the key it clicks however I have to go to the other side of the engine (the back right corner instead of the left) and that's where the starter is im not sure if you think the click is coming from the starter it is not. its coming from some sort of solenoid separate from the starter all together

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, rap the large portion of the starter, not the solenoid. You should be able to crawl under the vehicle and hit it from the bottom.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
Denver, CO

acehyu
Explorer
Explorer
and thanks for welcoming me

acehyu
Explorer
Explorer
the starter"" includes the bigger cylinder of the two piece started? you know the bigger cylinder attached to the smaller? do I hit that too?

Son_of_Norway
Explorer
Explorer
Welcome to the forums, If you have a good starting battery and you hear the starter solenoid click, try rapping the starter with a mallet a few times and see if it starts. Maybe you have a dead spot. Let us know what happens. Good luck with your repairs.

Miles
Miles and Darcey
Denver, CO