cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Chocks for MH

et2
Explorer
Explorer
So this us our second year with the MH. Last year we never used wheel chocks. We always had them for the fiver & travel trailers. So knowing the parking brake is set and the jacks down there would need to be multiple failures that would cause the MH to roll.

I also understand if the rear wheels weren't on the ground all bets are off. Being air brakes if there were a air leak would that cause a parking brake failure, or is the parking brake set as it would be if the air system failed ( lack of air and locked).

I'm sure the worry free thing to do is just chock. I'm curious from a mechanical viewpoint.
4 REPLIES 4

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
We had the experience of 'moving' slightly rearward because the rear wheels were not planted firmly on the ground. We were at the American RV Park west of Albuquerque across from Camping World. We set up in their new section.

The lots are slightly slanted from front to rear with the rear being lower. I set the leveling jacks to come down and we were level. The rear lifted up, apparently, more than it should. During the night, we vibrated a little as we were 'every so slightly' moving backwards.

So, early in the morning, I started the engine and leveled on the air bags instead which firmly planted the rear wheels on the concrete. Unless we are on a level site, I always level on the air bags so I never have to worry about lifting the rear wheels.

If we had leveling jacks only, I would certainly use chocks.

I wished they had designed the new section where it was either perfectly level or the pull through sites were angled the other way so that the front would be lifted vs. the rear.

Safe travels,
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

sailor_lou
Explorer
Explorer
Unlike your service brakes, that take air pressure to apply the brakes, the parking brake chambers are spring loaded such that it takes air pressure to release the braking action on the rear wheels. Therefore, a loss of air pressure will ensure the parking brake is applied. If you search "air brakes" you will find plenty of info with diagrams explaining how the entire system operates. This general info should understood by all drivers.

Certainly chocking the wheels will not hurt and is prudent if the site is not level.

Lou
05 Travel Supreme Envoy

Flanz
Explorer
Explorer
Others will give you their experiences, but for me, I will chock my wheels if I feel that the MH is on a grade/angle and not on a fairly FLAT surface. This, of coarse, is subjective. I NEVER lift any of my wheels of the ground. I place a chock on the drivers side front and rear wheels. I have never had a problem and would not want to bend a jack if for some reason the MH should move or roll.

YMMV, JMO

-paul

Sooboy
Explorer
Explorer
Air brakes are designed in a way that the air pressure is required to overcome the spring brakes. In other words, the system must be pressurized in order to be able to roll the vehicle.

That said, I always chock one wheel when at a campground. The Embark jack system is designed in such a way that releasing the parking brake causes the jacks to rise. If a small child in our RV were to push in that nice yellow button, it's conceivable there could be enough air left in the system to allow the truck to roll once the jacks retracted. I realize the risk is remote, however the severity of the situation would be high, therefore not a risk I wish to take.
2012 Jayco Embark TB390
Blue Ox Aventa LX Tow Bar
2009 Honda CRV (mini toad)
2014 Ford F-150 4x4 (monster toad)
FMCA #F413428