cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Class B and Teardrop Combo

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
DH will be retiring in about 14 months. The last thing I want to do is give up my RoadTrek but ... we are gonna need more space once there are 2 of us doing road trips.

DH loves to cook and I'm thinking a Teardrop outdoor kitchen would suit us nicely. And the trailer part would give us much-needed extra cargo space.

Is anyone doing this? How is this working for you? Any brand recommendations?

Thanks!
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com
16 REPLIES 16

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo wrote:
mlts22 wrote:
A small trailer also makes a good "reserved" marker at a CG to ensure one's pad doesn't get taken, assuming good security on it.

We have had 3 or 4 little hauling trailers (open 4x8s) stolen off the street with all kinds of locks on them, tongue locks, padlocks. The only thing we havent tried is a wheel lock. I wouldnt leave it anywhere without some kind of really good lock on it. Altho I do trust the campgrounds I stay at.

At the risk of derailing the thread, I learned from the local LEOs here that tongue locks are for the most part worthless since the bad guys just use chains to move the trailer, especially if it is a small, light one. If you want theft-resistance, leave a token lock on the tongue (so a thief doesn't think it is open for all), and use a wheel clamp or chain. While wheel locks won't stop someone with an angle grinder, it ups the ante to keep things in place.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
mlts22 wrote:
A small trailer also makes a good "reserved" marker at a CG to ensure one's pad doesn't get taken, assuming good security on it.

We have had 3 or 4 little hauling trailers (open 4x8s) stolen off the street with all kinds of locks on them, tongue locks, padlocks. The only thing we havent tried is a wheel lock. I wouldnt leave it anywhere without some kind of really good lock on it. Altho I do trust the campgrounds I stay at.
Ingrid and Dan Retired teachers from Milwaukee, WI
1992 GMC Vandura conversion

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
I know I'm a bit late to the party here, but thank you for the Escape Trailers link. I have been looking at small trailers. Something big enough that it can be used as an additional sleeping surface (with an A/C perhaps), but small enough that it doesn't get in the way and can be stashed in a garage.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
ryegatevt wrote:
I don't know your camping preferences, but many CGs (like the KOA where we are now) specify "One camping unit per site". You'd have to convince them that yours is a cargo trailer only. You might have a debate if the trailer had a kitchen...

We have had that problem with my RVan at only one place... in the Keys during a lobster hunting festival and that was with my husband using a tent. They were pretty well booked solid. We left and at the place we did stay in Key Largo they accepted that our 17' RVan was the kitchen, living room, dog room, computer room and the tent was our bedroom. All this summer with the trailer and RVan we were never asked to pay twice for 2 people during the month we were traveling. Maybe because most campgrounds werent booked solid. Perhaps if there are multiple children and a larger trailer or camper they might want to charge more. So did any of us face this and where/when did it happen?
Like the dogs I follow the practice of "they dont ask, I dont tell" so I would just not show them the kitchen.

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
Kimbopolo wrote:
drsolo,

Do you mind sharing the make? Good to know that someone else is doing this with good results.

Escape trailers aka Signatour Campers We had ours built to my husbands wishes, very plain, 4'x 8', no AC. Price was under 3K.

ryegatevt
Explorer II
Explorer II
I don't know your camping preferences, but many CGs (like the KOA where we are now) specify "One camping unit per site". You'd have to convince them that yours is a cargo trailer only. You might have a debate if the trailer had a kitchen...
Steve & Bev
2005 Roadtrek 210
Tess, our Sheltie

retraite
Explorer
Explorer
Towing with a "B". Some agree, some don't. It's really an individual choice.

We do tow a trailer and have for years, and like others have suggested, I do have to look in the mirrors from time to time to see if it's still there.

Yes, acceleration is a bit slower, and stopping can be a bit longer, but we almost always take it with us. 7,800 miles, nearly two months, this past summer. It surely made the trip more fun.

OK, our contents are a bit different that others have suggested as ours includes a motorcycle inside and a canoe on top.

DW likes to cook outside when the weather cooperates, so we carry that equipment in the trailer. Lousy weather, we simply move inside the "B".

But - there's seemingly always a "but".

Our trailer does have electric brakes (wouldn't tow without 'em) and the rest of an appropriate "set up".

Some (maybe many) of the teardrops are built with 2,000 lb (or so) axles and 13" tires. Certainly 13" tires are adequate for the axle capacity, but, if - and it's a big if - the trailer happens to have brakes, the largest brake size that will fit in a 13" wheel is 7". To move up to 10" brakes requires 14" wheels, or larger.

Some small trailers may have "surge" brakes (like boat trailers), but, personally, I don't like them as there is necessarily a delay in the trailer brakes being applied. With electric brakes, if setup correctly, the vehicle brakes and trailer brakes are applied simultaneously. Proportional brake controllers are best, IMHO.

Separately, different states have different thresholds for when brakes (either type) MUST be installed and "in use". Below, usually, 3.000 lbs, the trailer manufacturer is not required to include brakes. They may be offered as an option, but are not required at manufacture.

That said, some states/provinces have brake requirements as low as about 1,000 lbs (NY). Three are 1,500 lbs (CA, ID, NV), Three more are 2,000 lbs (MS, OH, UT) Very few are above 3,000 lbs. (IIRC) so one could have a bit of a problem if circumstances unfolded against them. In most states, those are "loaded" weights, not empty weights.

Finally, most "B"s, when loaded "for the road" are surprisingly near their GVWR. So, to then add a trailer (without brakes), IMHO, puts one in a potentially precarious position. If emergency braking is required, well, one would be asking the brakes designed for the vehicle weight only to stop well more weight. And, if, for whatever the reason, the trailer manages to swing left or right while stopping, well, that'd be a real problem.

We do tow, we do like the flexibility/options it offers us. We give up "parking in town" unless we drop the trailer at a campsite (and we've done that).

In the end, each "B" owner will do what they think suits them.

Cheers.

booster
Explorer
Explorer
I think the statement about the duplication of amenities is a good one. We have been looking at he same possibilities and would get a trailer that didn't have all the duplication. No bathroom, no propane, only a "family room" setting with a frig. microwave, solar. Top choice would be an Alto, and then the egg trailers.

wincrasher65
Explorer
Explorer
I would look at the products from Little Guy trailers at Little Guy Trailers
I've owned a Silver Shadow and have a T@G Max on order set to deliver in a couple weeks.

These are only around 1000-1100 pounds and have a really nice outdoor kitchen setup that you are looking for. Bonus is more sleeping space, or use it for storage.
2016 Winnebago Travato 59K, 2017 Allegro 32SA
Follow my blog: www.wincrasher.blogspot.com
Our Facebook group is: Class B Camper Vans

Kimbopolo
Explorer
Explorer
drsolo,

Do you mind sharing the make? Good to know that someone else is doing this with good results.
2010 Roadtrek 190 Popular
http://www.kimbopolo.blogspot.com

drsolo
Nomad
Nomad
stan909 wrote:
Drsolo on the forums has a tear drop trailer she uses when her husband travels with her. I'm sure she'll chime in soon. It seems to work great for her.

Yup. Ours is a modified tear drop as in the picture. Real tear drops often come with the back end of the tear configured specifically with a kitchen, stove, frig, sink, etc. Ours is used as a bedroom and office for my husband, is really small and lightweight, but there are others more substantial. Actually, I have a friend now down in Florida who would like to do some camping with me and I told her to locate a trailer rental place down there and find one the right size for herself and we can just hook it up and go. So just find a tear drop the right size. My RVan and teardrop give us a great deal more flexibility.

GENECOP
Explorer II
Explorer II
I would look into a Livinlite.....they are small and lightweight....if you want more toy and general storage the Livinlite will give you that and a kitchen. Besides the Teardrop outdoor kitchen, there is not much storage space.?.

truepath
Explorer
Explorer
I almost always pull a small trailer. It allows easy carrying of bikes, camping gear, gasoline, and whatever else you need. An outdoor kitchen is a great idea. The trailer I use is very light and pretty much rides in the wind shadow of the RV and as a result has negligible effect on gas mileage. You might want to think about a small aluminum covered trailer that you modify by adding a custom outdoor kitchen. Keep us advised on what you decide to do.

stan909
Explorer
Explorer
Drsolo on the forums has a tear drop trailer she uses when her husband travels with her. I'm sure she'll chime in soon. It seems to work great for her.