cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C Pros and Cons

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
We have been thinking about getting a Class C vs another TT. Here in Michigan Insurance is around $300-$400 a month for a Class C. One of us thinks a Class C is the one to go and I think a Class C might be more of a headache. We would be buying used, probably in the $40K price point(there abouts). Not sure if we want to tow a vehicle.

Those of you with a Class C can you give me some pros and cons, any information.

I know this is pretty vague, but trying to figure out if this is the way to go. Thank you in advance
36 REPLIES 36

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
That insurance figure is crazy!!! Would you really pay 12% per year of the value of the vehicle to insure it? That would be like paying $3600 in premium to insure a $30,000 car .... and the car would spend substantially more time on the road (exposure) than would the motorhome. Sounds like that's one aspect of the purchase you might to research more fully. Happy travels!
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
surgtech56 wrote:
Thank you everyone. What do you look for lower mileage and older or higher mileage and newer? We will likely spend $45K tops. hank you

One way to look at it is newer with higher mileage if it was properly maintained. The newer RVs have no problem going 300000 miles.

In the Rental Market you can have something within your budget and a RV that has been properly maintained,there are more than 125 members here that are very happy with their decision to own one.

Just another option to look into. Good Luck in your search.
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC
Former El Monte RV Rental
Retired Teamster Local 692
Buying A Rental Class C

surgtech56
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. Iโ€™ll check the insurance rates. I have another question, when buying used, how old do you suggest buying or not buying? What do you look for lower mileage and older or higher mileage and newer? We will likely spend $45K tops. hank you

GGoodsell
Explorer
Explorer
I've had three TTs, a fifth wheel, class A and now a class C. Each has their advantages and disadvantages. I find the C convenient for all the reasons that have been mentioned. We tow a Honda CRV and that really helps in sightseeing and running errands. Hitching and unhitching is a quick and minor issue. Very happy with our class C.

DouglasC
Explorer
Explorer
Don't know where you're getting your information about insurance rates for Class C motorhomes in Michigan but you might want to check out Progressive Insurance. I live in MI and have a Class C motorhome and pay a fraction of what you quoted. The recent changes in MI insurance laws can save Class C motorhome owners hundreds, especially if you don't need the medical coverage.
Doug
2006 Jayco Greyhawk Model 27DS
Towing 2019 Ford Fusion Energi with Brake Buddy

DrewE
Explorer II
Explorer II
Insurance in Michigan is...expensive. You already know that!

In my opinion, the main advantage of a motorhome over a trailer is the much more convenient access when on the road. It may not seem like much on paper, but having your house stuff right there in the vehicle with you is really convenient. If you need to use the bathroom and it's raining, no problem--just pull over someplace level and do your business. Similarly if you want to get a sweater or a glass of water or what have you. If you're traveling with a few people, there's more elbow room than in most tow vehicles.

A secondary advantage, over a trailer, is quicker making and breaking of camp. It's not a massive difference in the grand scheme of things, but it is something and those minutes can add up if you're traveling often. A third possible advantage over many trailers is that there's a generator built-in, and maybe greater propane capacity with a built-in tank.

The disadvantages are pretty obvious: it's another vehicle to maintain (and pay for tires, etc. for). If you don't tow another vehicle, you're limited in your options for getting around from camp for sightseeing, shopping, etc. If you do tow another vehicle, you have the hooking and unhooking and maneuvering of that combination to deal with. Fuel mileage is not great--though that's likely not a huge expense in the grand scheme of things.

As for a class C vs. a class A (or a class B), the differences are less pronounced. A class B will be much smaller, an advantage when you're maneuvering and a disadvantage when you're trying to cook or bathe or whatever inside. A typical diesel pusher will be quieter and more comfortable when on the road, due to the rear engine that's much farther away and the air suspension system, but a gas class A and a class C are rather more comparable in those areas. If you find a layout that's ideal for you in a class C, the big advantage of the class C is that you get the layout that is ideal for you.

Personally, I'm very happy with my class C motorhome, and travel without towing another vehicle.

azdryheat
Explorer
Explorer
I drive all types of motorhomes at work. What I find about Class C's is they lack leg room and I feel cramped with the slide behind my seat.
2013 Chevy 3500HD CC dually
2014 Voltage 3600 toy hauler
2019 RZR 1000XP TRE