cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Class C Thor Chateau

Smitty64
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at a Thor Class C Motorcoach Chateau 31L, any recommendations or issues with this brand?
20 REPLIES 20

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
treebender wrote:
Check all other brands of motorhomes, before you purchase a THOR PRODUCT, IT IS ONE OF THE MOTORHOMES THAT LOOK GOOD, HOWEVER THE QUALITY IS POOR, DEALERSHIP AND MANUFACTURE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT. WORST RV WE EVER PURCHASED.

Have to disagree...we've had two thor products (a 2010 TT and now a 2013 Class C). No major issues. Everything that has come up during warranty has been authorized by manufacturer and fixed by our dealership (Camping World) without issue.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

wbwood
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2013 Thor Chateau 31L. We love it... no major issues. Had the tire valve extenders replaced and they replaced the both slide motors under warranty. was only having issue with one of them. After it would sit closed up for a while, the slide would release some. Rubber was still touching the side, but just enough that you could retract the slide in about 1/4-11/2 inch. They said something about the brake on it. Othere than some drawer slides in the bedroom neading some more screws in them, no issues. We're going on our 2nd year with it.
Brian
2013 Thor Chateau 31L

treebender
Explorer
Explorer
Check all other brands of motorhomes, before you purchase a THOR PRODUCT, IT IS ONE OF THE MOTORHOMES THAT LOOK GOOD, HOWEVER THE QUALITY IS POOR, DEALERSHIP AND MANUFACTURE WILL NOT STAND BEHIND THERE PRODUCT. WORST RV WE EVER PURCHASED.

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
We checked out a 26' new 2014 leftover Chateau with a Ford V-10 in Ocala about 2 months ago. We took it for a test drive and it seemed to pull to the right, and very confining sitting alongside the dog house, and looking it over it kind of looked a little weathered from laying around since maybe 2013? Heard someone call it lotrot. Opted to buy a factory fresh Forester instead.

toymaker10
Explorer
Explorer
We checked out a 26' new 2014 leftover Chateau with a Ford V-10 in Ocala about 2 months ago. We took it for a test drive and it seemed to pull to the right, and very confining sitting alongside the dog house, and looking it over it kind of looked a little weathered from laying around since maybe 2013? Heard someone call it lotrot. Opted to buy a factory fresh Forester instead.

jamesa403
Explorer
Explorer
Take a look at Nexus, check out their web site, as it is factory direct purchasing. Everything I have seen about them seems to be pretty upscale and at a great price for the value. www.nexusrv.com

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
jeeperdude10 wrote:
We have a 2011 Chateau 31k with mid-ship TV. We have had ZERO issues with it. I towed a 1998 JEEP four down for 24,000 miles and never missed a beat. We have been in hot temperatures in Florida and cool temps in Montana. It may be referred to as an introductory model, but I will put mine up against any manufacturer. We are totally satisfied, as it does/is just what we want.

Ten years ago, we bought an entry-level 28' Gulf Stream Conquest. There's a lot of people who didn't have much good to say about them, also - but ours was perfect. Never gave us a moment's trouble (and because it was designed to be a rental unit, it was pretty idiot-proof...LOL!) There were a few minor things that needed tweaking at the very start - but our dealer handled it, and it never had to go back again. We just sold it - I cried - but with no slides, it wasn't going to be our "snowbirding home". It went to a good home, and I'm positive that family will have a lot of happy trips with it, too.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

lfcjasp
Explorer
Explorer
We have just wrapped up our second year with our Thor Four Winds 24c. So far we have really enjoyed camping with it. We like the floor plan (though we would prefer a walk-around bed;)) and she rides smoothly. The slide has never given us a problem, she seems to hold warmth or coolness pretty well. Our dealer has been timely on repairs, we had a cabover leak that we found quickly...you'll have one no matter your make I'm told. I could go, but suffice to say we're pleased with our rig:-)

bobojay5
Explorer
Explorer
Nobody's mentioned Phoenix Cruiser yet. Another company that will make changes from their normal production designs, within reason, to suit a buyer.
Like Nexus, they are factory direct also. Winnebago and Jayco are other good coach makers too.
Bob & Sharon
Eastern Kansas
2013 Winnebago ERA 70A
Class B Van

AJR
Explorer
Explorer
My used 2011 Chateau 28a is allot more fun to travel in than the class A I had. The design is well thought out and it has lots of storage.
2007 Roadtrek 210 Popular
2015 GMC Terrain AWD

Snowman9000
Explorer
Explorer
I don't have any experience with Thor. We do feel our Sunseeker is a good value for the price. I would classify it as entry level, but solid, with good specs. They continually improve their features and equipment, even within a model year. It's very impressive to me. They are sold by RVdirect.com, so you can get a price from them and use it at dealerships to get a similar deal. Same with Jayco, I think. If you buy a Sunseeker, spring for the upgraded mattress. We love ours.

There is an RVdirect dealership in Orlando. You can try to work out a deal there, although it is actually a different deal than buying from the website and picking up the unit at the dealership. Could be better, could be worse, it was hard to tell from our experience of shopping there. (We were on vacation, getting serious but not quite sure yet.)
Currently RV-less but not done yet.

jeeperdude10
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2011 Chateau 31k with mid-ship TV. We have had ZERO issues with it. I towed a 1998 JEEP four down for 24,000 miles and never missed a beat. We have been in hot temperatures in Florida and cool temps in Montana. It may be referred to as an introductory model, but I will put mine up against any manufacturer. We are totally satisfied, as it does/is just what we want.
2016 Bounder 35K
2014 Freedom Edition JEEP Unlimited
Traveling thru this great country

ratfink09
Explorer
Explorer
Bought a 2011 Thor Chateau 28Z. Nothing but problems right from the first time we used it. Problems have included leaks, many issues with the slide out not working, electrical gremlins and even issues with the Ford chassis. Just got back from 10 days on the road and could not use the slide. First night out slide would not extend and never got it to work. At dealer AGAIN for repair. Would never consider a Thor product again.

Hank85713
Explorer
Explorer
Smitty we bought a 2012 Winnebago Aspect 28ft. They do make a longer one I think in your size. We got ours used from original owners who decided they were going back to work instead of retirement!

Anyhow, I looked at and liked the Jayco Melbourne (B+), and we also looked at a 4 feathers/seasons by thor and it was a nice one again a B+. We wanted the B+ as its just the 2 of us so dont need the overhead bed area. We also looked at the monaco B+ and they seemed OK. The jayco grey and redhawk series were nice large rear bay storage but a big risk to over stuff the rv! Really just look to find one you can be comfortable with, dont know if you want new or used. It will all depend on what and how old you want to get.