cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Compact Class C

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new. And I’d like a new one.

I’ve got a 15 year old Class A DP that I’ve had since new. Yeah it’s got plenty of space and is great when parked, but we don’t stay in one place a long time. What I’m looking for is a compact Class C motorhome similar to the ones you see on the Sprinter chassis, but not on the Sprinter Chassis. I want the capability of going on long cross country trips without a toad but I also want to be able to go on local trips and bring the Ford Ranger toad. The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it.

So what I’m looking for is a Class C Compact, on a Ford F-450 or similar chassis with the V-10 gas engine (or GM equivalent. I want something in the 24 to 26 foot range with the narrow body. And I’ve seen them on the road, but I can’t find anybody making a new one. Seems like everything is on a Sprinter chassis or one of the Transit van chassis and they have the small chassis and only a few thousand pound towing capacity. Anybody have any idea which manufacture is making these new?

2021 Nexus Viper 27V. Class B+

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

27 REPLIES 27

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
pnichols wrote:
msmith1199 wrote:
Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new. And I’d like a new one.

I’ve got a 15 year old Class A DP that I’ve had since new. Yeah it’s got plenty of space and is great when parked, but we don’t stay in one place a long time. What I’m looking for is a compact Class C motorhome similar to the ones you see on the Sprinter chassis, but not on the Sprinter Chassis. I want the capability of going on long cross country trips without a toad but I also want to be able to go on local trips and bring the Ford Ranger toad. The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it.

So what I’m looking for is a Class C Compact, on a Ford F-450 or similar chassis with the V-10 gas engine (or GM equivalent. I want something in the 24 to 26 foot range with the narrow body. And I’ve seen them on the road, but I can’t find anybody making a new one. Seems like everything is on a Sprinter chassis or one of the Transit van chassis and they have the small chassis and only a few thousand pound towing capacity. Anybody have any idea which manufacture is making these new?

If you can work out the money part, based on the Ford E450 chassis here's what you want (but note that it's not a "true Class C" because it doesn't have an overhead cab bed):
https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/

Yes, that’s a good choice too. I’ll look into these.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
gemsworld wrote:
Many Sprinter mohos can tow 5,000 lbs.

They have 5000 pound hitches but if you do the math on the GCVWR the ones I’ve looked at are good for 3500 pounds. They can’t even tow a Wrangler and stay under the limit. Now I’ve seen people towing the Wrangler with them, but my first choice is staying with the vehicle rating limits.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
IAMICHABOD wrote:
The Jayco Redhawk may fit the bill,and as a plus it comes on a Chevy Chassis

That’s a last resort. Not looking for the boxy ones, but more of the compact streamlined ones. I want to be able to head out cross country and be able to get into parking lots and tourist attractions and navigate easily around town.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

msmith1199
Explorer
Explorer
rjstractor wrote:
Phoenix Cruiser

Yes, that’s an example of exactly what I’m looking for. I’ll look into these.

2019 Ford Ranger 4x4

pnichols
Explorer II
Explorer II
msmith1199 wrote:

If you can work out the money part, based on the Ford E450 chassis here's what you want (but note that it's not a "true Class C" because it doesn't have an overhead cab bed):
https://www.coachhouserv.com/models/platinum/
2005 E450 Itasca 24V Class C

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Many Sprinter mohos can tow 5,000 lbs.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
the sprinter will tow a ranger with no problems. and double your fuel mpg compared to a v8

MDKMDK
Explorer
Explorer
msmith1199 wrote:

"The Sprinter Chassis just doesn’t have enough towing capacity that I feel comfortable towing the Ranger with it."
WTF? How heavy is the Ranger? If it's too heavy, get a Wrangler.
Mike. Comments are anecdotal or personal opinions, and worth what you paid for them.
2018 (2017 Sprinter Cab Chassis) Navion24V + 2016 Wrangler JKU (sold @ ????)
2016 Sunstar 26HE, V10, 3V, 6 Speed (sold @ 4600 miles)
2002 Roadtrek C190P (sold @ 315,000kms)

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
OP
"Here’s what I’m looking for. I know they exist because I’ve seen them, but I can’t seem to find any manufacturer making them new. And I’d like a new one."

Could you have thinking about the Majestic 19G Four Winds made one for the rental company. I think they are sold as used units.

https://www.cruiseamerica.com/buy-used-rvs/rv-sales-inventory-usa/thor-majestic-19g

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Maybe one of the new 2020 Ford Transits would work for you. Some can tow 5000 lbs.

example of last years model :
New 2019 Thor Motor Coach Gemini 23TR

Specifications
Sleeps 3 Slides 1
Length 23 ft 6 in Ext Width 7 ft 6 in
Ext Height 10 ft 5 in Int Height 6 ft 8 in
Interior Color Forged Steel
Hitch Weight 5000 lbs
Gross Weight 10360 lbs Fresh Water Capacity 31 gals
Grey Water Capacity 37.5 gals Black Water Capacity 28.5 gals
Furnace BTU 19000 btu Fuel Type Diesel
Engine 3.2L I-5 Power Stroke Chassis Ford Transit
Horsepower 185 hp Fuel Capacity 25 gals
Wheelbase 156 in Available Beds Queen
Torque 350 ft-lb Refrigerator Size 5.5 cu ft
Convection Cooking Yes Cooktop Burners 1
Shower Size 27" x 27" Number of Awnings 1
LP Tank Capacity 68 Water Heater Type Instant Tankless
AC BTU 13500 btu Basement Storage 25.3 cu. ft.
TV Info LR 32" LED, BR 32" LED, Ext. 32" LED Option Awning Info 14' Power
Gross Combined Weight 13500 lbs Shower Type Angled
Electrical Service 30 amp VIN 1FDWS8PV3JKA45214

wanderingaimles
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfstream BT cruiser.

IAMICHABOD
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Jayco Redhawk may fit the bill,and as a plus it comes on a Chevy Chassis
2006 TIOGA 26Q CHEVY 6.0 WORKHORSE VORTEC