cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Convert to tankless?

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
We picked up our Class C last weekend, and as expected it doesn't have hot water long enough for my wife to shower and wash her hair. We were planning to add a tankless propane heater to it (currently has 6 gallon standard one now) but I have been reading about problems with them. Some people say they don't provide consistent hot water, and to me that defeats the purpose! Has anyone converted to one comment?
65 REPLIES 65

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Check your current hot water tank. Most have both electric and gas heating and you can usually use both at the same time. Really helps to keep up with demand.

Otherwise, make sure to let the wife go first and you do the navy shower or wait until later in the day.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

shastagary
Explorer
Explorer
if you have room you could change out your water heater for a 10 or 12 gallon water heater Suburban SW12DE Water Heater

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
that HD one looks sort of neat. an easy way to expand the hot water.
bumpy

Rick_Jay
Explorer II
Explorer II
nosebreaker,

I believe there is a compromise you and your wife can make and still allow you to both enjoy the lifestyle. One, as some have pointed out, is to use campground showers at times. Though, I know my wife wouldn't go for that.

So, first of all, if your tank based heater doesn't have BOTH propane AND electric simultaneous capability, see if that can be added.

If you're NOT connected to hookups, it is very easy to run down your water supply and fill your gray tank by leaving the water running during a long shower. If you're connected to hookups, pull the gray valve open and have at it.

"Shower styles" seem to differ amongst people. Since we had the motorhome since the kids were small, everyone in our family is familiar with shutting the water off "in between" actions. Based upon visitors we've had to the house (family, friends, friends of the kids, etc.) it seems there are many wasteful practices people get into. One example is keeping the water running while brushing teeth, for instance. Unnecessary. Keeping water running while lathering the shampoo. Again, unnecessary. I installed a shut-off on our shower head in the house, as well as one on the motorhome. I expect the family to conserve water in the house as well. It's just a good practice. (We are on city water, and under no water shortage. This is more of a lifestyle choice.) I'm not a "tree hugger", but I do believe in not wasting resources. Especially those I have to pay for! (Don't get me started on shutting off lights when leaving a room!) LOL

Anyway, as far as the tankless systems go, let me tell you briefly how they work, if you don't know. Whatever temperature you have them set for, they will attempt to keep the water at that temperature as it leaves the heater. On a city water connection, the pressure, flow rate and temperature are generally pretty constant while the heater is in operation. This makes temperature regulation pretty easy. Unless someone else in the house calls for water. Then the system adjusts, and this sometimes DOES cause a fluctuation in the temperature of the hot water while the system reacts to the change in flow. But the mostly consistent pressure & temperature of the incoming water generally yields minimal temperature variations at the point of use, in this case, the shower.

In an RV running from onboard water, the water pump generally cycles on and off with demand. Thus, the tankless system will be constantly adjusting it's heat output based upon the changing flowrate of water through the heating chamber. I believe this is what most people experience as a major problem with these systems on RVs. Now, a different water pump, or adding a bladder-tank to the system might help even out these pressure changes. That's just conjecture, though, and not based on my personal experience.

One thing that might also help is to add a small 2-ish gallon electric water heater near the shower connection. This will fill with the mostly hot water from the water heater and might give enough buffer so that your wife will get a steady stream of hot water. Here's an Example from Home Depot. This will increase your effective hot water supply to 8 gallons, plus give a buffer zone and a second chance to heat water before it reaches the shower.

But, personally, I still think there is either something wrong with your current system, or a slight correction in procedures which could solve the problem much more easily.

In any event, I'd hate to see you give up the RV Lifestyle over this issue. It should be solvable. Personally, I don't think the on-demand system is the answer.

Good Luck,

~Rick
2005 Georgie Boy Cruise Master 3625 DS on a Workhorse W-22
Rick, Gail, 1 girl (27-Angel since 2008), 1 girl (22), 2 boys (23 & 20).
2001 Honda Odyssey, Demco Aluminator tow bar & tow plate, SMI Silent Partner brake controller.

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
so stop at a campground with showers periodically. she doesn't have to wash her hair every day.
bumpy

nosebreaker
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate everyone telling me that basically my wife needs to "tough it out" and deal with navy showers, but I'm saying that if that's the case we are not going on any trips and we are selling the RV. My wife isn't the "roughing it" kind of woman, she has long hair and takes time with her appearance. One of the reasons we got a motor home instead of a trailer is that it makes the trip easier. I don't view installing a tankless system as being a big problem, if it makes her ok with the RV then it is well worth it. That being said, I will investigate that the system is working properly before switching over. I shower just fine without shutting hot water off at all!

Mortimer_Brewst
Explorer
Explorer
If you want that type of heater, I’d go ahead and put it in. Don’t expect your wife to appreciate your work though. After all, it is a “tankless” job.
If ethics are poor at the top, that behavior is copied down through the organization - Robert Noyce

2018 Chevy Silverado 3500 SRW Duramax
2019 Coachmen Chaparral 298RLS

the_bear_II
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B wrote:
I agree with Rick Jay. `Navy' showers should be the mode for RV's.
My Wife and I never run out of hot water either.

X-3 Navy Showers

Blutoyz
Explorer
Explorer
garyhaupt wrote:
There is only one way to maintain a steady supply of hot water...water on to wet then off..soap up...water back on to rinse. That is what is called a Navy shower. If she has long hair? That's a whole 'nother joy, right there.

You don't have to actually turn water right off at the head...just turn it down to dribble. The pump noise will drive you nuts tho.

Gary Haupt

This is the first thing I taught my wife with the 6 gallon HW tank
She may be old but she is paid for (the rig that is)

garyhaupt
Explorer
Explorer
There is only one way to maintain a steady supply of hot water...water on to wet then off..soap up...water back on to rinse. That is what is called a Navy shower. If she has long hair? That's a whole 'nother joy, right there.

You don't have to actually turn water right off at the head...just turn it down to dribble. The pump noise will drive you nuts tho.

Gary Haupt
I have a Blog..about stuff, some of which is RV'ing.

http://mrgwh.blogspot.ca/

bukhrn
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dick_B wrote:
X-3, teach her about Navy showers, absolutely mandatory if not on full hookups.
OR, have her use the campground showers, she can stand in there as long as she wants.
2007 Forester 2941DS
2014 Ford Focus
Zamboni, Long Haired Mini Dachshund

Second_Chance
Explorer II
Explorer II
There are people who swear by the tankless systemss... it just wouldn't be for us. I don't know what size your water heater is, but our 6 gallon heater (Atwood, I think) provides PLENTY of hot water for my wife to shower and wash her hair (which she is doing at this moment) - even without doing Navy showers. We allow 10 minutes for recovery before I get in the shower and have never had a problem. If your water heater is at least 6 gallons, perhaps it is not working properly.

Rob
U.S. Army retired
2020 Solitude 310GK-R
MORryde IS, disc brakes, solar, DP windows
(Previously in a Reflection 337RLS)
2012 F350 CC DRW Lariat 6.7
Full-time since 8/2015

Desert_Captain
Explorer II
Explorer II
IMHO: Tankless water heaters in any RV are a very poor idea. Unless you have full hookups 100 per cent of the time they will not provide the heavily advertised "endless supply of hot water" {what a joke}. As noted using a Tankless system will quickly fill your gray tanks as it empties your fresh water supply {and your propane tank}.

Keep in mind most of the tankless systems do not work very well as they are extremely temperature sensitive which can vary from exciting to downright painfull with the instant temperature swings. Our 6 gallon AC/LP water heater is enough for both of us to have a decent short shower and if you can wait just a few minutes between showers you will have all the controlled hot water you need.

As always... Opinions and YMMV.

:C

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
We had a propane one on our boat and it was a bear to keep the temp consistent. It would go from ice cold to scalding hot and back any time you made the slightest adjustment to flow.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV