cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

creeping slide

FossilHound
Explorer
Explorer
We have 2004 Monaco Dynasty with three slide outs. The front two are hydraulic and opposite each other. The slide on the driver's side occassionally creeps out after being parked for a while. It only moves out at the bottom and very slightly at the top. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem and solutions for the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks
Fossilhound
2004 42' Dynasty
11 REPLIES 11

FossilHound
Explorer
Explorer
The slide moves in/out without any problem, even and smoothly. We moved campsites in the last day and the slide has not crept in. I have not noticed any additional fluid leaking in the bay nor anywhere else.
Fossilhound
2004 42' Dynasty

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
mike, the check valve is located on the side of the room manifold. its a 9/16 brass fitting with a spring and check inside.
be careful when you remove it. dont lose the spring. the part number is RAP10021. its less than 10 dollars, and includes several different checks, and a new cap. it doesnt include the spring.
fossil, the cylinder leak would make the slide move after its extended or retracted, but when you are running the slide, it should equalize and move in or out evenly. the extend solenoid valve is mounted higher on the manifold than the retract solenoid. the harness is also marked

FossilHound
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks for all of the replies. The street side slide does appear to move inward more at the front. I did check in the bays this morning and found a hydraulic leak in the main bay but on the curb side. The leak looks like it originates from the end of a cylinder, would that be for equqlizing the slides? If I need to replace the solenoids, how do you tell difference between extend and retract solenoids?
Fossilhound
2004 42' Dynasty

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
azpete wrote:
mike, i am part of hwh tech support. have been for almost 17 years. also have real life experience in the rv industry since 1967, being a service manager for 25 of those years.
do the test. i stand by my statement. a retract solenoid will only cause the room to creep in.
so many people made the same mistake that hwh finally gave up trying to get one solenoid replaced, and chose to go with replacing both. the theory was you cant miss with both being replaced.

That is why in my response above, I said the extend solenoid, if failing, would cause creep out. I had that happen on my Winnebago Journey and replacing the extend solenoid fixed it pronto.

Now, one of my bedroom slides on the Allure is creeping out but only about 1 to 2 inches. I do have a spare HWH solenoid but you suggested a check valve would cause the slight creep I am having. Is that the same as the shuttle valve?
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
mike, i am part of hwh tech support. have been for almost 17 years. also have real life experience in the rv industry since 1967, being a service manager for 25 of those years.
do the test. i stand by my statement. a retract solenoid will only cause the room to creep in.
so many people made the same mistake that hwh finally gave up trying to get one solenoid replaced, and chose to go with replacing both. the theory was you cant miss with both being replaced.

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
azpete wrote:
mike, read the replacement bulletin again. if both ends creeps out, it is the extend solenoid. not the retract solenoid. that thinking is exactly the reason hwh recommends replacing both solenoids. you cant miss.
i dont mean to be critical, but its a costly mistake to replace the wrong one. for a test of this theory, just open the extend solenoid when the slide is retracted. it will move out 3 to 4 inches. if instead, you open the retract solenoid, with the slide closed, it wont move.
if both ends of the slide only moves out 1 to 2 inches, it will likely be the check valve.
thats why proper diagnosis is so important.
if only one end moves, the room cylinder or the sync cylinder is suspect. if there is no external leak, you will need a couple of pressure gauges,and a shutoff valve to diagnose this problem.
low fluid will not affect creeping. if the slide moves all the way out, and all the way in, the fluid level is not part of the problem.

Yes, I have read the replacement bulletin as well as the procedures as well as talked to an HWH tech support and had real life experience with the isssue and I can tell you that the RETRACT solenoid CAN cause creep out. This is due to the fact that the pintle on the retract valve is not sealing in the closed position and it allows pressure to bleed off. This is why HWH recommends replacing both solenoids for a creeping slide because either one can cause the issue.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

azpete
Explorer
Explorer
mike, read the replacement bulletin again. if both ends creeps out, it is the extend solenoid. not the retract solenoid. that thinking is exactly the reason hwh recommends replacing both solenoids. you cant miss.
i dont mean to be critical, but its a costly mistake to replace the wrong one. for a test of this theory, just open the extend solenoid when the slide is retracted. it will move out 3 to 4 inches. if instead, you open the retract solenoid, with the slide closed, it wont move.
if both ends of the slide only moves out 1 to 2 inches, it will likely be the check valve.
thats why proper diagnosis is so important.
if only one end moves, the room cylinder or the sync cylinder is suspect. if there is no external leak, you will need a couple of pressure gauges,and a shutoff valve to diagnose this problem.
low fluid will not affect creeping. if the slide moves all the way out, and all the way in, the fluid level is not part of the problem.

lwasouth
Explorer
Explorer
If you have the HWH system the entire hydraulic system is inner connected, including all slides and jacks. Look where your pump and solenoids are located and look for the slightest external drip. That solenoid that shows a leak needs to be replaced of rebuilt ("O"Rings on end of shaft) Much less expensive than a solenoid

zmotorsports
Explorer
Explorer
FossilHound wrote:
We have 2004 Monaco Dynasty with three slide outs. The front two are hydraulic and opposite each other. The slide on the driver's side occassionally creeps out after being parked for a while. It only moves out at the bottom and very slightly at the top. Any suggestions as to what could be the problem and solutions for the problem would be appreciated.

Thanks

I went through the same thing with our 2003 Dynasty a few years ago. I went through all of the troubleshooting steps recommended by HWH because everyone on the internet said to change this or that and when you start replacing components it gets expensive real fast.

Are both front and rear of the streetside slide creeping out? If yes then it is more than likely a solenoid(s). Generally if creeping out it will be the retract solenoid and if the slideout room is creeping inward when extended it is usually the extend solenoid, although HWH recommends changing both solenoids on a particular slide to be sure.:S

If only front or only rear are creeping out then it is more than likely a hydraulic cylinder leaking internally. After the testing this is what ours turned out to be. I had to replace the rear hydraulic cylinder on the curbside slide, bleed and synchronize it. Not a difficult job but was a little time consuming to gain access and R&R the cylinders.

There are tests for these listed on HWH's website but in my experience that is what I have found on ours.

Mike.
2003 Monaco Dynasty/ 26' Haulmark Edge trailer
2011 Jeep Unlimited Rubicon

smlranger
Explorer
Explorer
If your system is the HWH hydraulic system, you may have a weak extend solenoid for that side. I had that trouble on my previous coach and replacing the extend solenoid for the slide cured it.

In fact, I am having the same issue with one of the slides on my current rig and I suspect I may be replacing another solenoid.

You must first rule out any leaks on any hoses/fittings going to the rams that move the slide.
2019 Grand Design Solitude 384GK 5th wheel. Glen Allen, VA

tommy_g
Explorer
Explorer
Check the fluid level. That was causing my duplicate trouble, albeit my slide is older.
1998 Bounder 36s F53 460 V8 Banks power & Honda Accord toad