cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Crock pot cooking while traveling?

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
My wife picks up our new Class A motorhome tomorrow (I'm working for another 10 days out of town). This is our first r/v with an inverter. My question is if we can put a crock pot cooking going down the road without having to fire up the generator? Cajun Red beans and rice and smoke sausage would be mighty tasty after a days drive! Does anyone else do a little slow cooking while running?

Thanks

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus
34 REPLIES 34

Two_Jayhawks
Explorer
Explorer
We have done it also I think it's a great idea.
Bill & Kelli
2015 DSDP 4366 pulling a 21 JL Unlimited Sport
2002 Safari Zanzibar 3906 gone
1995 Fleetwood Bounder 36JD gone

Johnny_G1
Explorer
Explorer
Crock pot in the sink and oven on @ the same time, save's waiting for supper when we stop, you usually need a good inverter for the crock pot as our's can draw 1500 watts.
98 Mountain Aire 34' 210 Cummins Puller and 2001 dodge dully with all the toy's, 400 + hp pullin a 2001 32.5' Okanogan 5th wheel, new to us after 5 yrs with the 28' Travel Aire. Lots of fun.

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Be aware that the newer electronic controlled CPs stay off if the power flickers, which happened to us.

I switched to one of my old fashioned manual switch versions.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

SkiingSixPack
Explorer
Explorer
Our crock pot has a lid that latches. On an older crock pot, the lid slid off once.... We keep it in the sink, as well.
My better half
DS-18,DD-17,DS-15,DS-15 (4 teenagers, in da house)
Summit Red Sunshine-4
Brandy Red Sunshine-At the bridge

The greatest thing you ever can do now,
Is trade a smile with someone who's blue now,
It's very easy just...

TNGW1500SE
Explorer
Explorer
If you have a large black tank you can cook beans while traveling with no issues.

crasster
Explorer II
Explorer II
pulsar wrote:
Yes you can. But please make sure its not going to slide around while driving down the road.

On the rare occasion we do it. Sarah sets the crock pot in one of the kitchen sinks. (She puts down a towel first.)

Tom

Stuff towels all around it too. ๐Ÿ™‚
4 whopping cylinders on Toyota RV's. Talk about great getting good MPG. Also I have a very light foot on the pedal. I followed some MPG advice on Livingpress.com and I now get 22 MPG! Not bad for a home on wheels.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Short answer: YES!!!!!!!!!!

Longer answer: Most crock pots are well under 1,000 watts in fact many are less than 500 watts.. Well within the ability of your charging system.

Even better answer: Burton Stove to Go

This is a "lunch box" size device, like a lunch box it latches closed, it's also a slow cooker, runs on either 12 volt or 120 volt (i've lost one of my cords though) 12 volt is a bit iffy however.. i did install a HD 12 volt (20 amp rated) outlet with heavy wire (10ga) and a 20 amp fuse to run it. Fits very nicely in the small side of my sink, Works great for dinner for two.. (it is small) You can find 'em at some truck stops. We used to drop in a liner, (looks like a foil loaf pan, get it at the same truck stop) some chicken and stuff, Set it in the sink plug it in and ... By the time we were parked and set up.. Dinner was served.

Today it's one of 3 slow cookers in the house. and a Dutch Oven I can use as a Slow cooker on top of that. (Can you say I like slow cookers).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

wredman
Explorer
Explorer
RoyB wrote:
We have the raised lid electric skillet that does something similar for us... Haven't done it going down the road but sure use the heck out of it at the creekside camp site... Makes for a great slow cooker...

Roy Ken

an electric smoker strapped to the back of the coach, got me thinking ๐Ÿ™‚
2017 Thor Hurricane 34F

pulsar
Explorer
Explorer
Mandalay Parr wrote:
I put mine in the sink. NO towel. Might cause it to over heat.
Works good.

The towel is only across the bottom of the sink to help keep the crock pot from sliding.

Tom
2015 Meridian 36M
2006 CR-V toad
3 golden retrievers (Breeze, Jinks, Razz)
1 border collie (Boogie)

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
We have the raised lid electric skillet that does something similar for us... Haven't done it going down the road but sure use the heck out of it at the creekside camp site... Makes for a great slow cooker...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

2gypsies1
Explorer
Explorer
We've had BBQ ribs going while tooling down the Alaskan highway! The smell was awesome... and so were the ribs. We also put the pot in the sink...but no towels.
Full-Timed for 16 Years
.... Back in S&B Again
Traveled 8 yr in a 40' 2004 Newmar Dutch Star Motorhome
& 8 yr in a 33' Travel Supreme 5th Wheel

FIRE_UP
Explorer
Explorer
Bosun wrote:
Thanks! I was thinking of puting the pot in the sink. I sure don't want to wear the beans! Thanks for the explanation Scott on how the inverter is powered while the MH engine is running. I understand now.

I'm looking forward to our shake down cruise around Dec 15 for a few days up to the Chattanooga, Tn area.

Patrick

Patrick,
You're most certainly welcome. Yes, you can and should put it in the sink, if it will fit. And, I'd wrap it with a towel or something suitable that will keep that prescious meal IN THE POT during the travels. You don't have to worry about over heating the pot, they're internally controlled. They don't care what's wrapped around them. Been there done that.
Scott
Scott and Karla
SDFD RETIRED
2004 Itasca Horizon, 36GD Slate Blue 330 CAT
2011 GMC Sierra 1500 Ext Cab 4x4 Toad
2008 Caliente Red LVL II GL 1800 Goldwing
KI60ND

traindriver
Explorer
Explorer
We have a small crockpot that works on 12 volts. I put a lighter type plug in the cabinet, plug it in, crockpot in sink and down the road we go. Works great.
Ours is in a 5th whl, but don't see why it wouldn't work in a mh as well.

Bosun
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks! I was thinking of puting the pot in the sink. I sure don't want to wear the beans! Thanks for the explanation Scott on how the inverter is powered while the MH engine is running. I understand now.

I'm looking forward to our shake down cruise around Dec 15 for a few days up to the Chattanooga, Tn area.

Patrick
Patrick
Semper Paratus

Mandalay_Parr
Explorer
Explorer
I put mine in the sink. NO towel. Might cause it to over heat.
Works good.
Jerry Parr
Full-time
2005 Mandalay 40B
Cat C7 350, 4 Slides
Blue Ox, Brake Buddy
2004 CR-V Toad
jrparr@att.net
602-321-8141
K7OU - Amateur Radio
Kenwood Radios
ARRL, W5YI, & LARC VE