cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

CURRENT tire replacement experiences sought

TexasJorge
Explorer
Explorer
The stooped is strong in this one. yeah, but I'ma lucky...

I am new to this "lifestyle"--have planned on it since late 2001. Like most--I'd guess. I started with an older, pre-owned unit. I am now looking to replace six (6) tires. Googling reviews on the subject brings up a LOT of forum results, but most appear to be from 2008-20011, or earlier.

Most of the posts on Chinese/truck tire brands are equally as old. As many pointed out--then--various Asian brands--Toyo, Yokohama, etc. were once trash talked by Michelin/Goodyear purists as viciously as those I've found for the current crop of relatively new Chinese brands.
Some of the Chinese brands have been around long enough that their performance quality could be reported in a more recent fashion, I'd think.
I found THIS THREAD, before I registered here, by way of example:
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/24375786/print/true.cfm

The latest entry on this one appears to be 09/2011. That was four years ago. I get the purist's view, even if I don't subscribe to it. I'm not broke, but I AM cheap, I guess. I've read the warnings of buy now, pay later. I have a problem w/ buying Good year tires (made in Asia, btw) at $500 a pop.

Any recent experiences with "other" brand/type tires, good or bad would be appreciated. I looked thru the threads (here and elsewhere) and may have missed something along the lines of what I'm asking. I apologize, in advance if that is the case.

I have a 36 ft 'S' model with a tag axle. I'm still learning to live in it, and have put about 3500 miles on it to get to my current location. It is embarrassing to admit, but aside from having one blow while sitting on stabilizers-- inside dual,drivers side. Looks like I have about four different brands involved already. I won't even go into date codes. The two newest are Samsons up front on the steers.
31 REPLIES 31

TexasJorge
Explorer
Explorer
First, thanx to all who responded. Reading thru these old threads -- and this one;)--can reduce one to inaction via uncertainty! I got off it and put six GoodRides on yesterday. ALL balanced (including the two Samsons I moved to the outside dual position)--OTD price was $1294.34 -- on 22 May 2014-- $87.44 of that to Texas for tax. The new ones are 245 70 by 19.5s, 14 ply, G load rated, Hwy tread Steel belted radials DOT coded 1014.

The other place in consideration had the FET price, $4.53 ea for disposal, balance per, etc. on Sailuns that would have topped out at just under $1500. This is a regional dealer in South Texas -- Houston to Corpus Christi. He did offer a road hazard at $20 per tire. As I may still end up in the Midland area when it is time to buy land and build my last house, I passed on that.

The Goodyears on the dual -- including the one that blew while parked stationary-- were date coded in the 34th week of 2002 or 03. There was a 'Triangle' on one tag from 07, and an 'Akuret' --WTF-- from 09. I kept that one as a spare. The Samsons up front were 2011, and as indicated, I rolled them back to the outside dual position just because, I guess.

I tried to leave incrementally -- back in January-- loading a little, driving to Walmart, camping & organizing overnite, but ultimately, the 10 degree weather in Mid TN forced me to 'shovel'& run. I proceeded to Key Largo, back up thru Mississippi/La, down to Corpus Christi, with regular air pressure checks & an oh, well attitude for about 3500 miles on that crap.

Driving the 6miles to the tire store here had me 'really worried' after reading the historical info in various forums. Doh! I'm back on jacks & covered up again. Only drove it 15 miles or so, but it seems to feel a lot different in my memory. I've been here 8 weeks or so. If I have to run from a tornado or hurricane, at least I only have to worry about the batteries working to turn it over now!
I WILL cop mea culpa and report here if I'm putting Toyos or HanKooks on in the next 2-3000 miles. For a 98 P/A with a triton V-10 with 115k miles, seems on the face of things to be the most cost effective result I could make -- we'll see. Thanx again all.

Mr_Mark1
Explorer
Explorer
Our current coach came with Michelins and we replaced with Michelins last May (8 tires) having them for 7 yrs. I had such good service from the original set I thought, why change brands? (295/80R/22.5)

The new coach will also have Michelins.
MM.
Mr.Mark
2021.5 Pleasure Way Plateau FL Class-B on the Sprinter Chassis
2018 Mini Cooper Hardtop Coupe, 2 dr., 6-speed manual
(SOLD) 2015 Prevost Liberty Coach, 45 ft, 500 hp Volvo
(SOLD) 2008 Monaco Dynasty, 42 ft, 425 hp Cummins

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
Running Kumho's on my SurfSide. Would buy them again.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad

Dutch_12078
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mike M2 wrote:
I just bought a set of Hankooks and they do ride better than the Goodyears that were on it. They are Chinese made. I was looking for a middle of the road tire in price, worked out great for me....

Is there really an American made tire????

I just had set of "Mesa" brand tires from Tire Kingdom installed on my coach. The tires were made by Cooper in Findlay, Ohio. The first two were installed in Brunswick, GA in March after a road debris caused blow out, and were dated the first week of December, 2013. The other four were installed today in Williston, VT, and are dated the first week of April, 2014. The tires they replaced were seven year old "Runway" brand tires, made in China. In the short ride from the tire shop back to the campground, including a section of I-89 at 65 mph, the ride on the Mesas does feel a bit better than the Runways. I hope they hold up as well...
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
Bigfoot Automatic Leveling System
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox baseplate

Mike_M2
Explorer
Explorer
I just bought a set of Hankooks and they do ride better than the Goodyears that were on it. They are Chinese made. I was looking for a middle of the road tire in price, worked out great for me....

Is there really an American made tire????
Mike M2
Thor Infinity 33SL

WayneLee
Explorer
Explorer
Just had 6 new tires put on last week using the FMCA Michelin plan. I am a believer in Michelin's RV tires and I have used them since 2000. I have had excellent results with their XZA3 16-ply tires and absolutely no problems at all.

Wayne Lee
Out West Somewhere

2016 Forest River Sunseeker 3050DS Class C | Hummer H3 dinghy

carp65
Explorer
Explorer
We put six Hankook tires on our 35' MH and couldn't be happier. Ride is
much better than the Goodyear tires we replaced!

J-Rooster
Explorer
Explorer
TexasJorge wrote:
J-Rooster wrote:
Number One buy a tire that you can afford to buy and do your research before buying! What I mean by that is know your DOT date codes, search for tire reviews like Consumer Reports, do you want to purchase a RV tire or a truck tire? Do you want a soft rubber tire or a hard rubber tire? Buy a tire with a high sidewall rating! And most of all go to Michelin Tires Website and read about Quality Tire Care and Maintenance and practice there techniques for maximum tire wear. Good Luck in whatever you choose to buy!

Thank you. Thought I kinda covered that. I'm an alum of the "pointy stick" brigade, and my last "home on wheels" was a 'Hillbilly uparmored' Humvee w/ 4 bunkmates;). I've also spent a little time driving OTR. which is like a house w/o plumbing now that I think on it. I am NOT enamored of the most expensive is best school of thought. I am leaning towards commercial truck tires. 2nd tier brands have jumped to near 1st tier PRICE levels--after having been historically savaged by old time purists.

There are several levels of "quality" among what I refer to as tier three brands--the China market -- with all the potential baggage/risks that entails. Again, I get what I call the 'Muhrica' RV/purist pov. My checks so far, seem to say "14 ply" refers to G or H load tires in general. Won't buy anything with a manufactured code less than the current year. The price I got as a baseline for comparisons above was for GoodRide Hwys w G load rating. Botos were close, but cheaper. So I'm seriously thinking about tier 3 tires, I guess, with a more likely jump to Toyos, hankooks or yokos. Ain't buying Goodyear or Michelin. Might live to regret it, but, NO.

I've read Michelin, Goodyear and Campers World info. If it don't rattle my teeth out on road, I can prolly live w/ it. I live in one now, and want them to last their rated tread life in a perfect world. Going 'cheap' makes that less likely to happen. I know what I don't know, and as regards RVs, that is not much at this point.
These things have been said in threads I've found back to 2003. I've been in one for 6 months. There has to be a LOT of experience, good and bad out there since 2011. Just trying to elicit it for my own current use. Thanks again.
O.K. Jorge, Happy Trails to you! I retired from 44-1/4 years OTR!

turbojimmy
Explorer
Explorer
I just (last week) put 6 new Wanli brand tires on mine from a local truck tire shop. 8R19.5. I didn't see any discussion here or anywhere on the 'Net on them so we'll see how they fare. $161 each; $19 each for mounting. $1,195 out the door with tax, NJ disposal fees, etc. Yes, made in China.

The tires on it when I got it were very, very old. I noticed an immediate difference in ride quality and reduced road noise. But, again, the old ones were pretty much ready to blow.
1984 Allegro M-31 (Dead Metal)

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
mchero wrote:
mike brez wrote:
bsinmich wrote:
The pictures of the Michelin on a Foretravel prove exactly nothing. How were they inflated, stored, driven, overloaded and parked? That damage can be done to any tire many ways.

Wasn't trying to prove anything. Just saw the picture yesterday and posted. I could care less what tires you or anyone else use.

Unless your driving directly behind us correct?

Yea your right....please don't buy those pos Michelins. ROTFLMAO
1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
mike brez wrote:
bsinmich wrote:
The pictures of the Michelin on a Foretravel prove exactly nothing. How were they inflated, stored, driven, overloaded and parked? That damage can be done to any tire many ways.

Wasn't trying to prove anything. Just saw the picture yesterday and posted. I could care less what tires you or anyone else use.

Unless your driving directly behind us correct?
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

mchero
Explorer
Explorer
klm wrote:
Bought 6 Michelin's - using the FMCA discount. 3rd set over the years without any issues.

X2
Robert McHenry
Currently, Henniker NH
07 Fleetwood Discovery 39V
1K Solar dieselrvowners.com
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee
Prior:1993 Pace Arrow 37' Diesel

mike_brez
Explorer
Explorer
bsinmich wrote:

1998 36 foot Country Coach Magna #5499 Single slide
Gillig chassis with a series 40
02 Ford F250 7.3 with a few mods
2015 Wrangler JKU

bsinmich
Explorer
Explorer
1999 Damon Challenger 310 Ford