Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dead, dead, dead

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
Hey good folks,
We have a 2004 Winnebago Journey. It has new house batteries and the engine batteries we were told are good to go. I turn the key to start it and it's dead. No noise, no nothing. Dead. Any help will be appreciated.

~Thanks, John
27 REPLIES 27

okhmbldr
Explorer
Explorer
Don't rule out a bad ignition switch.

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
chastho wrote:
Charge the cranking batteries, 12.2 will not start the engine

I put my battery charger on the cranking batteries on "instant start" and nothing so I guess I'll try just charging the batteries.

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
ArchHoagland wrote:
Do any of your dash lights and gauges move or light up?

Nope. Zip. Nothing. When I turn the key nothing happens. Nothing moves and it's nothing but quiet when you move the key.

chastho
Explorer
Explorer
Charge the cranking batteries, 12.2 will not start the engine

ArchHoagland
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of your dash lights and gauges move or light up?
2004 Monaco La Palma 36DBD
Workhorse W22 8.1 Gas Allison 1000, 7.1 mpg

2000 LEXUS RX300 FWD 22MPG 4020 LBS
US Gear Brakes

stepdad
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for your response's. About three weeks ago we got all new house batteries and we were told the engine batteries were fine. The house batteries show 13.5 and the engine batteries show 12.2. I tried the battery override switch and nothing. Still dead. Using the alternate bat switch I can fire up the generator and it runs fine.

wa8yxm
Explorer III
Explorer III
Things I have found, some on a car, Some on the motor home.
Bad connections (in my case it was the battery positive due to poor engineering it kept going bad.. Since my degree includes what they did wrong I fixed it when I replaced the battery) I should add most any of the connections Batter + or =, or the chassis end of the Negative cable are prime suspects.. next are the connections out along the Positive line.

The Disconnect switch mentioned above is good too.

I have had bad cables

And if you are just taking this puppy out of storage.. DEAD Batteries.

This is only a partial list

Oh, someone up-thread mentioned the Neutral Park switch.. Yup, had that one happen too (Bit my wife, not me, I put the thing in park and she fired right up).
Home was where I park it. but alas the.
2005 Damon Intruder 377 Alas declared a total loss
after a semi "nicked" it. Still have the radios
Kenwood TS-2000, ICOM ID-5100, ID-51A+2, ID-880 REF030C most times

RayChez
Explorer
Explorer
Have you tried starting it with the house batteries with the jump switch on the dash?
2002 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser
330 HP Caterpillar 3126-E
3000 Allison Transmission
Neway Freightliner chassis
2017 Buick Envision

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Check the battery voltage. Make sure the connections are clean and tight.

Jef9909
Explorer
Explorer
There is a use/store switch somewhere. If on store, your house batteries are disconnected.

filadelfia
Explorer
Explorer
stepdad wrote:
Hey good folks,
We have a 2004 Winnebago Journey. It has new house batteries and the engine batteries we were told are good to go. I turn the key to start it and it's dead. No noise, no nothing. Dead. Any help will be appreciated.

~Thanks, John

Try the simple things first ie: is the shift pad neutral button pushed? 2,Try holding the battery boost button down while attempting to start main engine 3,check voltage at batteries with a vom should be about 12.5 volts dc. If voltage is not about 12.5 then determine reason bad battery or in need of charge. Check for loose or corroded connections at battery or starter. Check for bad ground.

Good Luck Don

sch911
Explorer
Explorer
Are the battery disconnect switches turned on?
OEM Auto Engineer- Embedded Software Team
09 Holiday Rambler Endeavor 41SKQ Cummins ISL
2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited Toad

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Do you have a volt meter?