cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dealer "fees"

bullydogs1
Explorer
Explorer
Are RV dealers doing what the car dealers are doing?...I never saw anything like it....they price things out and when it comes to the money at the last second, they pad the price with a ridiculous documentation fee which is like $500!.....I am very knowledgeable with this and nix it. In fact the supplier program specifically states to the dealer that all he can charge is $75 and he must abide by it....the point being that back in the early 90s , when I was involved with cars..we charged 30 dollars...now it is off the scale...do places like Lazy Days and other motorhome dealers do this as well...When we got our HR, it was 45 for documentation which is justifiable for motor vehicles etc...
Stuart and Stella Denning
2016 Entegra Aspire 42RBQ
The 3 Bulldogs (Daisy, Sylvie and Stashie)
2018 Equinox Diesel (TOAD)
10 REPLIES 10

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
My dealer came up with a $1500 inspection fee. Told him it wasn't going to happen and to just give me the bottom line price with everything included. That worked and I think he realized I wasn't the type that was going to fall for that.

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
REAL legitimate dealer fees (DOC fees) are to pay the dealers Title clerk to go to the Courthouse and file and get the necessary paperwork done. Usually the MAX is $75. In Texas, you could do this work yourself and avoid the Doc fee, until they changed the law and the retail customer is not allowed to do that anymore when purchasing from a licensed Dealer. The Dealer is required to do this paperwork now if purchased from him. ALL costs are negotiable. Doug

rk911
Explorer
Explorer
lryrob9301 wrote:
When you negotiate a price it should always be understood it is OUT THE DOOR, DOWN THE ROAD. That way they can call their fees what they want as long as the bottom line price is the agreed OUT THE DOOR amount.

that's precisely how we bought our 2010 jeep liberty. I told 'em I could afford X-dollars and I didn't care how they wrote up the sales agreement but X-dollars was what I agreed to pay and not a dime more (sales tax excluded). worked for us.
Rich
Ham Radio, Sport Pilot, Retired 9-1-1 Call Center Administrator
'10 Jeep Liberty KK

& MaggieThe Wonder Beagle

I to have threatened to walk over "doc fees" also..... I don't do business with a thief and any one that is doing that is exactly that--a thief.

lryrob9301
Explorer
Explorer
When you negotiate a price it should always be understood it is OUT THE DOOR, DOWN THE ROAD. That way they can call their fees what they want as long as the bottom line price is the agreed OUT THE DOOR amount.

nevadanick
Explorer
Explorer
A documentation fee is added profit. A title fee goes the state. I tell them i dont pay a service writers fee but figure thats coming next.

pronstar
Explorer
Explorer
That should be called "the cost of doing business".

If they tell you there's a $500 doc fee, tell them you have a "$500 signature fee" for all the damned paperwork you have to sign.
'07 Ram 5.9 QC/LB SRW
Full Carli Suspension
35" Toyo's | 4.56 | PacBrake

2009 Cyclone 3950 | B&W Turnover Ball & Companion | TrailAire | Duravis R250s

lanerd
Explorer II
Explorer II
Seems to me that all of these so called dealer's fees should be part of their profit. I don't understand how they can pad their profit like this and get away with it. As naturist said, we just need to get up and walk out whenever they try this price gouging. Unfortunately, only a very small percentage of buyers will do this and the dealers get away with it much more often than not.

Ron
Ron & Sandie
2013 Tiffin Phaeton 42LH Cummins ISL 400hp
Toad: 2011 GMC Terrain SLT2
Tow Bar: Sterling AT
Toad Brakes: Unified by U.S. Gear
TPMS: Pressure Pro
Member of: GS, FMCA, Allegro

RETIRED!! How sweet it is....

I_am_still_wayn
Explorer
Explorer
Those documentation fees, paint sealant, fabric protectant, undercosting, vin glass etching, and on and on are merely huge profit centers for dealers. Some states have limits for documentation fees, but most do not. It works in the dealer's favor: they negotiate the lowest price, the buyer is happy, and then at the closing the add on is put into the deal. Some buyers may not notice, and others at this point will rarely walk on the deal.

naturist
Nomad
Nomad
The last time I faced such a thing, I'd bought a car, and when we got the the point of writing the check, they'd tacked on such a fee. I closed my checkbook, said I did not agree to pay that sum, and they could either lose it, or I'd walk. They complained that "that's just our standard fee." I said "fine, goodbye" and stood up. That's when they dropped the idea.

To be able to negotiate a sale, you have to be willing to walk.