cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Did it again

GHOST1750
Explorer
Explorer
It took me 16 years but now I have done it again, must be old age.:)

I had a small pickup pass me and the passenger was waving like crazy and pointing to the back of my motor home. I pulled over and found out my 50 amp power cord was trailing behind me. I think every RV park should have someone at the gate to warn forgetful or careless drivers store their power cords or put down their antenna or close the slides before they hit the street or freeway.
:W

Of course I'm the only one who does things like that, aren't I?
Just Don and a Chiuahua called Dulce
2003 39' Tradewinds LE
2002 Cavalier tow
Korean Veteran, USAF
FMCA F357981
CC4C
GOOD SAM

Life is a journey, not a destination !
40 REPLIES 40

RockfishJim
Explorer
Explorer
Jim Norman wrote:
You can by these rubbery twisty ties at Lowe's and Homies. They are for tying up cords and the like. I have a number of them for many uses, but I have two that are special. They are Orange, one goes on the antenna crank handle as soon as it goes up, the other gets twisted around the steering wheel. It is an 'In Your Face' reminder. I don't take the one off the wheel until I have walked the rig.

I love it, I'll have to get 3 colors for all the things I forget though :S

Chowan
Explorer
Explorer
ferndaleflyer wrote:
I pulled the cord down the road once but the worst was when I had gone 20 miles and someone was pointing at the trailer I tow and the drop down door was down. Wore the rubber bumpers off but that was all. I stick 1/2 a red solo cup in my steering wheel to remind me the antenna is up. Has worked so far.

until the dw decides she want to throw it away

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
Deleted - dual post

mabynack
Explorer II
Explorer II
The chance of doing something embarrassing is directly proportional to the number of people watching at the time.

C_Duck
Explorer
Explorer
Towed my four-down Suzuki from Palm Springs to San Diego yesterday (160 miles) without unlocking the steering. When we first started out the MH pulled to the right slightly, I even stopped to check the tires etc and everything I looked at was OK...I just didn't look at the right thing. Got to San Diego with bald tires and the right front had cord showing completely around the circumference. First stop was Costco for 4 new tires - I was going to replace the rears anyway.
Chuck

I pulled the cord down the road once but the worst was when I had gone 20 miles and someone was pointing at the trailer I tow and the drop down door was down. Wore the rubber bumpers off but that was all. I stick 1/2 a red solo cup in my steering wheel to remind me the antenna is up. Has worked so far.

Fifty4F100
Explorer
Explorer
Worse thing I ever did was with a trailer. Reinserted hitch in receiver, hooked up WDH, hooked up sway bar, hooked up electrical. Put jack all the way up. Walked around to unhook power cord and check that nothing was left. Drove off to dump. Made it a long way before BOOM. I forgot to put the pin in the receiver and it finally pulled out. Tore up electric jack. Dinged the back of the truck tailgate. Had to get the trailer back on the hitch now without the jack with campers everywhere onlooking (remember the RV movie!). I'm back to a motorhome again!
Glenn in TN
2008 Ford F150 King Ranch
2012 Allegro Breeze BR32
2017 Mini Cooper (future toad)

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
JumboJet wrote:
Here is a nice phone app you can use during your walk-around.

It covers all the bases for all RV types.

Best to look it up as RVChecklist in PlayStore
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

JumboJet
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a nice phone app you can use during your walk-around.

It covers all the bases for all RV types.

Alphamonk
Explorer
Explorer
Funny thing though. My RV has a light on the dash if the crank up OTA antenna is up, but not for the $1,000. satellite dish.

xctraveler
Explorer
Explorer
When we had the crank up OTA antenna I would hang the ignition key on the crank! That worked. DW and I double check each other and sometimes switch routines so she will do the exterior jobs she is physically capable of (she is not strong enough to handle the towbar) and I will take over interior routines. That way either of us can setup or get underway and we know what we are looking at when we are double checking.

We do have check lists for everything taped inside cupboard doors. We do review them from time to time but are not good about actually getting them out to follow. We have been on the road for 15 years and have usually moved a couple of times a week.

We have done all the stupids mentioned plus almost losing the tow'd by disconnecting it before setting the brake (many years ago, twice).
Paul
2012 Phaeton 36QSH on Freightliner Chassis with a Cummins 380 pushing it. 2011 Cherry Red Jeep Wrangler Rubicon with US Gear Unified Tow Brake System. Check out my blog
FMCA 352081 SKP# 99526

lonewolf80
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tie red ribbon sashes to the antenna crack which is right over the drivers seat. Also use them on the awning when I have it tightened down on one side for rain run off, and finally on the Fantastic Fan when it is opened. I do like the idea of the multi colored Velcro's from Home Depot. Have to pick some up next time I'm in one of the stores if I remember..Oh shoot, I need one "Now" so I will remember! Ha..

2oldman
Explorer II
Explorer II
No talking while setting up or leaving.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
I use a checklist for the coach, just like I did for my airplanes. This covers all of the major items while the DW takes care of stowing thing in the interior so they don't bounce around.
The checklist helps when you are interrupted while going through the whole procedure to get underway.
The strips on the steering wheel are a good idea, if you have enough of them. I have 20+ items on my checklist that I check before I get on the road.