cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Dingy

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
What's the simplest vehicle to use as the dingy. It can't be to small cause I'll have trouble clinbing in and out of it. A jeep may work but don't know if they can be towed and do they have to be a manual trans.

Thanks Jerry
Almost free Jerry
26 REPLIES 26

GrampaR123
Explorer
Explorer
GEEZ!! The poor guy asks a simple question and in no time at all you've got him 4-wheeling in Moab. LOL
Our 2013 Honda CRV is the 2nd CRV and the 5th Honda (3 different Accords) with an automatic transmission that we've towed in 20 years of towing a car and they are very simple to tow. By the way, they do make an All Wheel Drive (AWD) CRV for those that may want to do some mild off-roading.
Happy towing whatever you decide.

millerak49
Explorer
Explorer
We like towing our Subaru. We use the ReadyBrute Elite towbar/brake. Manual tranny in neutral and key in first position

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
Is the new Cherokee flat-towable?
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
Another for the Wrangler. An alternative would be the Liberty which swaps some off-road performance for a better ride.

Or the new 4x4 Cherokee since they no longer make the Liberty.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
Another for the Wrangler. An alternative would be the Liberty which swaps some off-road performance for a better ride.

SRT
Explorer
Explorer
If you don't mind shifting for yourself, think about a Subaru Outback. Full-time AWD and enough ground clearance to enjoy many back roads. Subaru's with manual transmissions are towable on all 4 tires. No distance or speed restrictions.

zman-az
Explorer
Explorer
RicJones wrote:
The Wrangler is easy to set up and makes a nice toad but it may not be the right car for you. It's noisy, rides rough and if you get a 2 door, the back seat is very difficult to get in and out of for guests. Make a list of 3-4 vehicles you are interested in and go drive them. This will probably be a daily driver so you want something YOU can enjoy driving.

I got three Wranglers and I agree completly with this post. I also have a 2011 Grand Cherokee and 2002 Malibue and they are way more difficult to setup for flat towing.

If you remove the steering wheel lock from the 1997 and up Wrangler you won't have to pull fuses and you can remove the keys while in tow. Also the tow bar is the easiest to install along with access to electrical for the tail lights.

phoneguy1212
Explorer
Explorer
My goodness, I didn't expect all this advise. Thank you so much. After I asked I thought I might have asked a troll question. Thanks for all your experienced answers. It sounds like the Jeep may be the easiest to find, again thanks for all the reply's.

Jerry
Almost free Jerry

Sully2
Explorer
Explorer
2002 Jeep Liberty....V6 auto trans...4 wheel drive when I want it. GREAT to tow.

You'll have go get a used one though...Jeep stopped making Libertys ( ???????)
presently.....Coachless!...
2002 Jeep Liberty
2016 Ford Escape

RicJones
Explorer
Explorer
The Wrangler is easy to set up and makes a nice toad but it may not be the right car for you. It's noisy, rides rough and if you get a 2 door, the back seat is very difficult to get in and out of for guests. Make a list of 3-4 vehicles you are interested in and go drive them. This will probably be a daily driver so you want something YOU can enjoy driving.

gswcgi
Explorer
Explorer
We tow a 2000 Nissan XTerra 4 X 4 auto. Have towed it almost 45,000 miles with no problems and no drive shaft disconnect. Prior toad wad a 1988 Chevy Tahoe 4 X 4 with a drive shaft disconnect and it was a pain.
'03 Safari, DP, 36" Nissan 4X4 toad

Richert
Explorer
Explorer
Jeep is probably the easiest to set up, and it may also be one of the most popular.
Blake
2019 Sunseeker
2012 Jeep Wrangler Toad
Wife in passenger seat.

tropical36
Explorer
Explorer
Fishinghat wrote:
The most common vehicle towed is the Honda CRV. It doesn't require modification, is easy to drive, easy to get in and out of, and is very reliable.

(We just bought a new CRV and may install a baseplate and braking system to tow it, but since we already have our Hummer set up we may just procrastinate and save the money. Most important though is the wife likes it.)

You forgot to mention that the CRV isn't worth a darn in the Moab or on the Rubicon Trail and the hummer, though heavier than a Jeep, will do a lot better.
"We are often so caught up in our destination that we forget to appreciate the journey."

07 Revolution LE 40E_Spartan MM_06 400HP C9 CAT_Allison 3000.

Dinghy_2010 Jeep Wrangler JKU ISLANDER.

1998 36ft. National Tropi-Cal Chevy Model 6350 (Sold)

Jarlaxle
Explorer II
Explorer II
IIRC, the Honda Accord (auto or manual) can be towed with no modifications.
John and Elizabeth (Liz), with Briza the size XL tabby
St. Bernard Marm, cats Vierna and Maya...RIP. ๐Ÿ˜ž
Current rig:
1992 International Genesis school bus conversion