cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Disappointing test drive

RetiredRealtorR
Explorer
Explorer
My wife and I are shopping for a new gas Class A. We drove a 2020 Winnebago Sunstar yesterday, and, from a driver's standpoint, it was quite a disappointment.

Bearing in mind that our last Class A was a 2003 Winnebago Journey DP with a 5.9-liter 300hp Cummins, I had expected the engine noise level to be a good bit higher -- it naturally was, but not as bad as I had anticipated.

The real disappointment was that I had to continually correct the steering to keep the rig in the lane, minor corrections, but still irritatingly continual. Also, I felt every little bump in the road through the steering wheel, and the bulk of the test drive was on a 4-lane divided highway. By the time we returned from the drive my fingers were actually a little tingly.

Please tell me all Class A gassers do not drive like this. It was our first test drive this time around, and I'm hoping subsequent test drives in other makes don't end up feeling the same way.
. . . never confuse education with intelligence, nor motion with progress
19 REPLIES 19

John_Wayne
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not that it would make a difference but if you want to get the new V8 make sure your purchase is on the new V8 chassis, and not the older v-10.
John & Carol Life members
01 31'Sea View single slide, F53 V-10 with 134,000 miles and counting.
2012 Jeep Liberty Smi brake system
Security by Bentley
God Bless

KF6HCH

dougrainer
Nomad
Nomad
If that was a Ford Chassis, the thing about Ford Chassis is, They have to be aligned CORRECTLY. When you have a Ford aligned correctly, they handle like a dream. I would test drive other Class A 2020 Fords and I will bet you will find out that you had a bum Ford that needed an Alignment. Did you give that feedback to the Dealer you test drove from? Doug

dodge_guy
Explorer
Explorer
My 12 was like that when I bought it last year. It was all over the road. Didn’t notice it on the test drive around the dealer. But bringing it home it was a miserable drive. I have to do constant corrections. The previous owner added all that was available for the F53 chassis. What I found was the tire pressure were all at 110psi. And then I found the front tires were toed out 5/8”. I did a tape measure adjustment and set it to 3/16” toe in. Now the MH drives like my previous Ford Excursikn and 35ft TT. Sometimes it’s the simple things that makes the biggest improvement.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

way2roll
Nomad III
Nomad III
The 2 I had certainly drove like that. The 2021 Ford chassis may help some of that but Gas Class A's on the F53 are notorious for harsh ride, noise and road feedback. That's why our new rig will likely be a DP or a truck and FW. For long trips I just can't handle anymore being stressed out or beaten to death by the time I get to my destination.
2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

rgatijnet1
Explorer III
Explorer III
Hard to tell how any coach rides and drives when it is empty. Loaded for travel the suspension will not be as stiff and if loaded properly it may not wander going down the highway. The tire pressures may have been too high or too low or uneven from it sitting on the lot. This can also affect the ride/handling.